DVDVR Message Board

Actor/Actress Passings That Don't Warrant A Thread

Larry Rydell

RE: Irwin Keyes, at first I was gonna say how sad it was he only lived to be 63, but then I saw his Associated Press obituary and he had been in a nursing home for the last two years in pretty bad shape from the condition that caused his physical appearance, so it was probably more of a "peace after long illness" deal for him.

Nice at least to see that at 73 Rees was still starring on Broadway in a  production of "The Visit" this past May.  So he was healthy and doing well until the very end of his life.

It is a little disconcerting, however, to think that when I was watching him on Cheers he was my age.  That's how I remember him.  This is going to start happening every day I fear.  People who I remember looking basically like me (or younger) starting to pass away naturally.

George Coe has passed away at age 86.

Recent work includes the voice of Woodhouse the valet on "Archer", but his career spanned nearly 60 years on TV, film and stage.

He was listed as a cast member on the first SNL, making him the "Not Ready for Prime Time Player" everyone forgets about (he was only listed on the first episode, but made non-credited appearances throughout the first season).  He was also the voice of Toyota for several years in their ads.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/george-coe-oscar-nominated-actor-and-sag-activist-dies-at-86/ar-AAdeb7o?ocid=TSHDHP

• Like 1

I only know of George from Archer, so pardon my lack of knowledge about his other work.  But it does explain why for the past season Woodhouse was missing.  But he sure as hell did a great job as him.  RIP, George.

RIP Theodore Bikel, age 91.

Arguably best known for Fiddler on the Roof, to me he was a great guest villain on 60s shows like mission impossible, and twilight zone. Also oscar nom for the Defiant Ones.

A bit of an odd figure in pop culture history. He originated the role of Captain Von Trapp in the Sound Of Music. He was there when Dylan went Electric at the Newport Folk Festival saying, "Well, this is where music is going these days.." He was in 200 Motels!

RIP Theodore Bikel, age 91.

Arguably best known for Fiddler on the Roof, to me he was a great guest villain on 60s shows like mission impossible, and twilight zone. Also oscar nom for the Defiant Ones.

He did some amazing albums of folk music from around the world.

spoilered because for some reason there are open boobs on the album cover.  The 70s man.

And was one of the best COLUMBO villains ever.

422859dab9_93035367_o2.jpg

It was so great because he played this super genius who was really arrogant about his I.Q. (we've all met the kind) but he added this great idea that the guy was relatively easy to trip up compared to most Columbo villains because he had no tolerance for stress and would start to fall apart under any kind of duress, so Columbo just keeps needling him and kind of enjoying watching him fall apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe-Kosala-PM.png

I gave him a shout out in another thread, and was sad to learn that former Chicago cop and bit part actor Joseph Kosala had passed away back in March.  He was a staple in films from Andrew Davis (Above the Law, The Fugitive, Chain Reaction).

He was, from all accounts, one hell of a cop in real life.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll always remember that one Chiller Theater where La Parka was bopping around the floor in full costume to scare up some booth traffic for our buddy Mike Mindless and wound up at Yvonne's table. I think she noticed he was wearing a cross, so she started up a conversation with him and suddenly they were chatting away like BFFs. One of my all-time favorite con moments.

• Like 1