DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: August Thread... It's Getting Serious...

SirFozzie

I have a feeling that Harvey's arm is perfectly fine or not nearly as bad as they're trying to make it out to be.  That way the Mets can sit him down for the rest of the year without risking him hurting himself for real when the games don't matter without having to deal with an outcry from the fans.

I have watched baseball for most of my life and I still don't really understand the balk rule. See: Mariners/Rangers tonight.

The pitcher lifted his body - very slightly but still there - as he shook off the catcher.  Any lifting/moving of the body that doesn't then continue into throwing a pitch is considered a balk.  Essentially, they ruled that he started his pitching motion and then stopped it - which is a balk.  I don't think this was a good call but it's technically correct.

Alfonso Soriano hit his 400th career HR last night.

The Yanks aren't making the playoffs but at least that acquisition panned out... for now.

Yeah, 11 HRs in 30 games and an .890 OPS.  He hasn't had an .890 OPS since his first year with the Cubs 6 years ago.

I have watched baseball for most of my life and I still don't really understand the balk rule. See: Mariners/Rangers tonight.

The pitcher lifted his body - very slightly but still there - as he shook off the catcher.  Any lifting/moving of the body that doesn't then continue into throwing a pitch is considered a balk.  Essentially, they ruled that he started his pitching motion and then stopped it - which is a balk.  I don't think this was a good call but it's technically correct.

I dunno. Watching the game it sure looked like "a dude standing still" to me but that's how it went. It was an awfully slight one to award the winning run in the 10th inning on if you ask me.

Then again I am convinced there are some pitchers who balk almost every single ball, so this is never a rule I've had my head around.

It begins....

This is the New York Mets we're talking about.  This is the exact scenario that will happen:

This week: "We're going to rehab it"

Posted Image

He didn't say he'd be ready to pitch by April 1, just that he'd "be back." He might be taking a long vacation or something.

Then again I am convinced there are some pitchers who balk almost every single ball, so this is never a rule I've had my head around.

Basically every lefthanded pitcher balks on their pickoff move 95% of the time.  The rule is that you have to stride toward the base you're throwing to and lefties don't do that.  They're supposed to have an angle < 45 degrees with the rubber and their right leg but they cross that ALL the time.  It's ridiculous.

Like I said, I wouldn't have called that balk - 10th inning tie game means nothing to me - but I can see why it was.

Yeah, it's not MLB, it's short-season A but...

Saw something last night I've never seen before - bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, man on 2nd for Spokane.  Batter has 2 strikes.  Pitch comes and he swings, ball gets by catcher, runner goes to 1B.  Umpire, however, rules (correctly) that the ball hit the batter and thus is dead so he can't take 1B despite the ball not being caught.  It's incredibly rare to see a guy get hit by a strike, even more rare to have it happen with 2 strikes on the guy, and some kind of 1 in a trillion chance of having it be the last out of a game.

Chances are Miguel Cabrera's shot at a second straight Triple Crown is over, with him pulling himself from two straight games this week due to an ab injury.  Which goes with the other two injuries he's been playing with the last few weeks.  Probably best to sit him for a few games now.

This conversation is the disgrace of a nation.

Dammit.  Now I'm rhyming and alliterating too.  That's how dangerous this W.S. Gilbert infection is.

CONTAINMENT PROTOCOL Q: 

SHUT DOWN THE AUGUST THREAD!

ANYONE WHO DOESN't MAKE IT OUT WILL BE SINGING "ON A TREE BY A RIVER" FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!

LONG LIVE THE SEPTEMBER THREAD!!!!!  ABANDON THREAD!!!!

I REGRET NOTHIIIIIIIIng!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!