DVDVR Message Board

2014 NCAAF: Week 2

Dolfan in NYC

We go Under the Lights Saturday night in the final installment (for awhile) of the Michigan/Notre Dame rivalry.  Both teams looked impressive against overmatched competition last week.  Here's to Michigan laying a beatdown on Notre Dame for chickening out of what has been a fantastic series of games.

• Like 1

My Longhorns get BYU at home, in what had been considered a chance for sweet, sweet payback for last year's massacre (which led to Manny Diaz's blessed firing and ultimately Mack Brown's demise). I don't see Charlie Strong and Vance Bedford's D letting Taysom Hill embarrass us again. But I don't see our offense putting more than 10 points on the board, maybe 17 if we're given a short field by the D twice instead of the one time I'm already counting on.

We go Under the Lights Saturday night in the final installment (for awhile) of the Michigan/Notre Dame rivalry.  Both teams looked impressive against overmatched competition last week.  Here's to Michigan laying a beatdown on Notre Dame for chickening out of what has been a fantastic series of games.

Or just one more Michigan pulls it out at the end in absurdly miraculous fashion, leaving ND baffled as to how they lost that game.

More embarrassing wussout - this or UW refusing to play Gonzaga in basketball?

• Like 1

My Longhorns get BYU at home, in what had been considered a chance for sweet, sweet payback for last year's massacre (which led to Manny Diaz's blessed firing and ultimately Mack Brown's demise). I don't see Charlie Strong and Vance Bedford's D letting Taysom Hill embarrass us again. But I don't see our offense putting more than 10 points on the board, maybe 17 if we're given a short field by the D twice instead of the one time I'm already counting on.

10 points on offense may be optimistic after Strong's latest suspensions.  Both projected OT starters. 

Stolen from another board, which stole it from somewhere else:

"The Texas offensive line now consists of Jake Raulerson, a poster of Dan Neil, a barn cat, a rancid pickle and poem by Bill Little."

• Like 1

10 points on offense may be optimistic after Strong's latest suspensions.  Both projected OT starters. 

"The Texas offensive line now consists of Jake Raulerson, a poster of Dan Neil, a barn cat, a rancid pickle and poem by Bill Little."

That all popped off last night during my last Fantasy Football draft. Rumor/speculation on an insider board I'm on is that 1-game suspension is cover and that they're gone, being given time to arrange transfer.

Or just one more Michigan pulls it out at the end in absurdly miraculous fashion, leaving ND baffled as to how they lost that game.

Maybe they can bring back Tate Forcier for one game.

More embarrassing wussout - this or UW refusing to play Gonzaga in basketball?

I'm gonna go with UW refusing to play Gonzaga.  In Notre Dame's case, they can at least make the claim that something had to give because they joined a conference.  They (wrongly) decided that the rivalry with MSU was bigger, or more important or whatever.  Fine.  We all know it's because they chickened out and wanted an easier opponent than Michigan but at least they have some good reasons for it.  UW?  They chickened out simply because they're tired of Gonzaga abusing them.  Period.  And out-recruiting them.  And taking transfers from UW - and beating UW with them.

In fairness, the poem has looked really solid in practice this week.

I'm gonna go with UW refusing to play Gonzaga.  In Notre Dame's case, they can at least make the claim that something had to give because they joined a conference.  They (wrongly) decided that the rivalry with MSU was bigger, or more important or whatever.  Fine.  We all know it's because they chickened out and wanted an easier opponent than Michigan but at least they have some good reasons for it.  UW?  They chickened out simply because they're tired of Gonzaga abusing them.  Period.  And out-recruiting them.  And taking transfers from UW - and beating UW with them.

The flaw in your argument is that Michigan State is a better team than Michigan.

The flaw in your argument is that Michigan State is a better team than Michigan.

Currently, that is true.  Over the long term, it's obviously not.  Michigan also brings in significantly higher rated recruiting classes every year (although, as I've mentioned before, there might not be another coaching staff in the nation that does a better job of maximizing and developing talent than Sparty's.)

Perhaps more importantly, though Michigan has won 4 out of the last 5 and 6 out of the last 8 against Notre Dame, whereas the Irish have won 3 straight and 4 out of the last 5 against Sparty.

It's actually really weird that Notre Dame lost to Michigan and beat Sparty last year.

Hell, they arguably prevented MSU from getting into the title game.  (I'm not positive undefeated MSU would have finished above Auburn, assuming everything else played out the same way.)

I was set to focus only on the NFL tonight but that Arizona/UTSA game might be more competitive than it has any right to be.

Absolutely. UTSA is punching way above their weight so far and it's fun.

Well, I guess Larry Coker has done a great job in recruiting and coaching everyone. I saw parts of the game last week where they whipped Houston. Not bad for a team that is just in their third year of playing Division I-A ball.

I know this is Division II vs. Division III but we almost had a team score 100 points in a game, which has only happened in college football 3 times in the past 45 years. Texas A&M-Commerce destroyed East Texas Baptist 98-20, and gained 986 yards of total offense.

Well, I guess Larry Coker has done a great job in recruiting and coaching everyone. I saw parts of the game last week where they whipped Houston. Not bad for a team that is just in their third year of playing Division I-A ball.

I know this is Division II vs. Division III but we almost had a team score 100 points in a game, which has only happened in college football 3 times in the past 45 years. Texas A&M-Commerce destroyed East Texas Baptist 98-20, and gained 986 yards of total offense.

While also having another team College of Faith have -100 total yards (-124 rushing). For those who don't know unlike in the NFL college stats count sack yardage against rushing yards.

Had to look it up since I live for stuff like "football games over 100 points" and found a list on Wikipedia of games where one side scored 100 or more.  Not surprisingly, nearly all of them are shutouts.  The record for most points in a losing effort while giving up 100+?  32.  Among the teams that have allowed 100+?  Michigan State (that THAT Brisco!), Penn State, Colorado, and Arkansas.  

While also having another team College of Faith have -100 total yards (-124 rushing). For those who don't know unlike in the NFL college stats count sack yardage against rushing yards.

Commerce destroyed East Texas Baptist 98-20, and gained 986 yards of total offense.

I don't usually link to SB Nation but there was a funny article about the Tusculum College vs. College of Faith game, where Cumberland College had more yardage in the 222-0 game vs. Georgia Tech than Faith did. I don't usually link to Reddit either but someone made a very interesting post about how the College of Faith and the similar University of Faith down in my neck of the woods in Florida are both pretty sketchy as institutions.

Anyhow, I now have a new favorite college football player.

2r71or6.jpg

• Like 1