DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

RE: Avengers Arena, the official dead would be:

Red Raven, Mettle, Nara, Apex(and her brother, supposedly), Kid Briton, Juston and Reptil(or was he unconscious?)?

I believe he (Hopeless) said on twitter he considers Reptil to be dead, but won't begrudge other writers who interpret it differently and decide to use him. The ambiguity in the art seems wasted, in that case.

Of those, the guy mainly killed his own creations. Of those that weren't, one was left as shades of grey and the other was probably best served as an "outside the main marvel canon" character.

I actually almost scanned the letter at the end and sent it to Fowler since I thought he'd find it interesting. 

Am I the only person who doesn't like Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men run?  I finally got around to reading the first year and a half, and it fell flat for me.   It's fun, but really slight and I really don't care at all about the kids.  Kinda sorry I spent money on the run, even though the price wasn't terrible.

That said, I'm digging the X books about as much as I ever have.  Really enjoyed Battle for the Atom and All-New X-Men is still probably my favorite book (aside from not digging the new costumes),

Am I the only person who doesn't like Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men run?  I finally got around to reading the first year and a half, and it fell flat for me.   It's fun, but really slight and I really don't care at all about the kids.  Kinda sorry I spent money on the run, even though the price wasn't terrible.

After the first few issues, it's been pretty much universally hated online.

I could take it or leave it. Was really just waiting for them to do something with Genesis, but who knows where that'll be left with the book "ending."

Really stopped caring during that stuff with Dog.

Don't drag me into this. ;)

It seems to be one of those series people have tendency to love or hate. AvX really ruined it for a lot of people, but I've always found the book to be solid at worst. I think Aaron occasionally drags out plots longer than he needs to and would have done well to focus on more than his core cast, but its generally been up there as my favorite X-book.

As far as the Genesis stuff goes, the idea was to split Genesis's development between Aaron and Remender. If there is another sizable chapter in the character's story it will likely be in Uncanny Avengers.

Nah, I've liked Wolverine and the X-Men all the way through. Edie's character arc felt a little weird to me and it was a waste to have Broo feral for so long, but in general, it was unmitigated fun. I really liked the Kid Gladiator annual this week. That and the Warbird solo issue were probably the high points of the run past the first few issues.

Yeah, the X-Books are great. Maybe not AS great as before AvX but that's just because Gillen's Marvel's best writer. Bendis' X-Stuff is infinitely fresher than his Avengers stuff which helps the entire line. My big frustration is that we're going to lose the actually quite good superhero romp Cable and X-Force and the not-quite-as-good-but-extremely-fun-and-rollicking Uncanny X-Force for a gloom and doom military minded Special Ops X-Force book that's for the FSWs of the world. 

What, you're not excited about the return of

Marrow

Never read anything with her. I basically started reading X-men with Remender's UXF and post-Schism W&tXM/Gillen's Uncanny. Still in the 80's Claremont going through past material (last I read was Fall of the Mutants).

I enjoyed the first 8 or so issues, I quit reading it during A VS. X crossover issues

That is good to hear then. His interview on IGN wasn't too bad though I'm not sure how I feel about his small core cast plans (Idie, Quire, Evan). I was hoping to get more Broo and maybe some of the kids who weren't focused on during Aaron's run.

Read Deadpool: Dead Presidents. For the most part it felt like the same cartoony stuff I saw in what little of Way's run I read, and that didn't draw a strong interest from me back then either. The plot to bringing in Wade also fails a bit as hinges American governmental PR, completely ignoring that Shield is no longer and American agency. Not terrible, but a disappointing seeing as how much praise I have seen it given in other places.

Also read Vengeance. I was unfamiliar with pretty much all of the younger characters and didn't leave caring much for any of them which wouldn't have been a big problem if they weren't the focus of the story. The villain appearances felt a bit forced. The entropy and balance plot didn't feel well done or well explained. The Masters of Evil plot wasn't too bad conceptually, but the point of it here along with the writing did nothing for me. Wasn't sure what to expect going in, but I just didn't get mch enjoyment out of this on  the whole.