DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Think I'll be skipping Rage of Ultron until it's a super cheap Amazon Deal of the Day or something. 

I read it and it wasn't good. Felt very padded. And would have worked better as a double sized issue. Plus it continues the Bendis started retconning of Hank Pym.

i haven't read X-Men in years and years. 

i don't really understand how the original 5 X-Men are in the current time, but that's whatever. seems i'm not in the minority there anyway. 

Original/Young Iceman being bi would fully solve all of their problems, while still representing a minority (an even less represented one, like someone said). i don't know why they didn't think of that ahead of time and embrace it.

• Like 1

Avengers: Rage of Ultron. I thought this was pretty good going into the Pym/Ultron relationship and their motivations as people. I would honestly like this a lot more though if it was simply an elseworlds type of title. In universe, I hate where it leaves both characters, especially since there is no telling how long it will take for someone with sense to come along and fix it. I blame Axel Alonso as he seems to want some level of symmetry with the MCU even if its not something the fans seem to really be interested in.

i don't really understand how the original 5 X-Men are in the current time, but that's whatever. seems i'm not in the minority there anyway. 

Original/Young Iceman being bi would fully solve all of their problems, while still representing a minority (an even less represented one, like someone said). i don't know why they didn't think of that ahead of time and embrace it.

Eh, it's not that hard. Beast is mad at Cyclops. Iceman says something stupid. Beast thinks it's a great idea. Beast has a time machine with a Doom-lock that means he can go back in 616 past without creating divergent timeline and uses it. Beast lies to the O5 about Grown Cyclops causing a "mutant genocide" to con them into coming back with him.

As for the young Iceman stuff, that's Bendis pulling some shit out of his ass to deflect all the criticism that's been coming his way from how bad Uncanny has been and how irrelevant All-New has been. There's no long-term planning involved with this and he's just going to leave it for the next X-writer to deal with.

• Like 1

I hope they don't kill Jean Grey, this may very well be my favorite version of Jean ever.  Jean always seemed like someone pretending to be an adult in the past, but this version is a teenager and acts like a teenager. 

Jean had things happen that caused her to grow up fast.

True, but this new Jean hasn't gone through those things, but has the knowledge of them and is trying to figure out how to go forward without making the same mistakes she made the first time.  She makes some good decisions, some bad decisions, and some downright stupid decisions like any teenager would.  The previous Jean was essentially a different character, and much more adult with her decision making.  She was a good character, but I'm much more interested in the more youthful Jean who understands that even with her future self's maturity she made a shit load of terrible decisions.  She isn't trying to act like an adult, because she knows that it didn't really work the first time.  She has kind of decided to live her life on her own terms for once and it is much more interesting to me. 

Eh, it's not that hard. Beast is mad at Cyclops. Iceman says something stupid. Beast thinks it's a great idea. Beast has a time machine with a Doom-lock that means he can go back in 616 past without creating divergent timeline and uses it. Beast lies to the O5 about Grown Cyclops causing a "mutant genocide" to con them into coming back with him.

oh yes. that clears up everything and it all makes perfect sense now.

i'll just stick to not reading X-Men comics. well, at least until that X-Men '92 series based off the cartoon shows up.

To be fair it wasn't so much lie Beast told so much as his predictions which he wasn't even necessarily wrong on as Cyclops was heading into a fairly dumbass direction that would have justified fear of mutants more than ever. Honestly one of the problems with the current run is that Bendis has been so focused on trying to suck up to a certain segment of X-fans who love the current Scott. It didn't allow him to properly balance out Scott's goals and motivations vs. potential damage to basically everyone else mutant and human alike.

Can't really buy that since Magneto destroying Manhattan and herding humans into incinerators is 1000x worse than Cyke busting into a police station to save a wrongfully imprisoned mutant and THAT didn't lead to a mutant genocide.

And honestly, fuck Bendis. He knew how long his run was going to be before Secret Wars started up, yet he still super-decompressed EVERYTHING. Hell, he pretty much stopped trying to suck up to X-fans after the Limbo arc(ignoring the Dazzler stuff because it made everybody involved look awful) because that's when the stupid SHIELD Sentinels/Dark Beast bullshit started.

Gotta admit I dig current Cyclops.  And I never found him interesting until they radicalized/him a couple years ago.

I've liked Bendis' run on the X-books, but I also think they were a step down from what came before (mainly, the Fraction/Gillen/Carey runs, and Remember's X-Force).  The big problem is that nothing really major has happened.  Cyclops going tweener, coupled with the arrival of the kids seemed to be hinting that a major turning point was in the offing.  Either Cyclops set off a full-on mutant/human war, or the presence of the kids changed the present and future in some radical way.  Nothing like that has happened, in part maybe because Marvel really is de-emphasizing mutants due to the issues with Fox (I've been told by people inside Marvel that that really is a thing, so I'm assuming Rich Johnson had it right, public denials aside).

In any case, after great setups, I feel like Bendis has largely had the X-line standing still after a couple years of surprising developments and "where-are-they-going-next" stories.

I think Gillen's run on X-men is probably the best since Byrne/Claremont or shortly thereafter. I liked Bendis' stuff. I thought it was HIS best work since Dark Avengers, at least. It was all churny character stuff, but that's okay.

And I love Jetpack Cyclops.

Slowly working my way through all the post-AvX tertiary X-books on MCU. Pretty sure the arguments between Forge and Dr. Nemesis are pretty much the only justification Hopeless needed for Cable & X-Force. "Did you just ask a member of the Cheyenne Nation about PIONEER SPIRIT?" 

I kind of desperately want to see Jeffrey Combs play Nemesis in live-ac or a cartoon.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Verse Prelude collects material from Free Comic Day 2014: Guardians of the Galaxy #1, The Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #7-8 and The Superior Spider-Man #32-33. I read them all in single comic books as originally published but include the name of the book collecting the so you have a choice between the two. The short story in Free Comic Day 2014: Guardians of the Galaxy #1 acts as the first teaser for Spider-Verse and it’s a good one as a Shakespearian Spidey performing a show is interrupted by Morlun.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #7-8 main story sees Spider-Man running into the new Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan chasing to stop something stolen resulting in an impromptu team-up. This was a fun story seeing a character geeking out over teaming with their hero. TASM #7’s short story features Spider-UK finding out alternate Spiders getting killed and wants to prevent this. Great seeing a Spider from my country. TASM #8’s short story has Mayday Parker, Spider-Girl trying to protect her family from a killer of Spiders. I only liked the one thing from this tale.

In The Superior Spider-Man #32-33’s main story, the Superior Spider-Man is sent forward in time and finds alternate Spiders are getting killed by a big threat. The Superior Spider-Man sets out to stop the threat by putting together a team of Spiders led by him. TSSM #32’s short story is about a Spider going up against said threat and TSSM’s #33’s short story looks at the threat’s background. Soon after the series ended with #31, it was announced the series would return for these two issues. I looked forward to them for a number of reasons. I really enjoyed Otto Octavius’s tenure as the Superior Spider-Man so it was a welcome return to this rude, arrogant, vicious and at times funny/caring character. I wasn’t disappointed by this brilliant Superior Spider-Man #32-33 story.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Learning to Crawl collects material from The Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1 and The Amazing Spider-Man #1.1-1.5. I read them all in single comic books as originally published but include the name of the book bringing them together so you have a choice between the two. The story tells the early days of Peter Parker at school and Spider-Man as an entertainer, with heroes, fighting villains and taking photos for the Daily Bugle. Spider-Man inspires a big fan of his, Clayton Cole to be like him. Clayton takes the Clash persona and their first interaction as their alter egos turns Cole from a Spidey fan to Spidey foe. I liked reading a story by Dan Slott set at the start of the characters history by Spider-Man co-creators, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. I also liked Clash, his look and powers. Writing wise the book is good, no more than that. The highlight of the book is Ramon Perez’s great art. If I had to pick two examples: the double page spread following Spider-Man after catching the Burglar reacting to his part in Uncle Ben’s death and the double page spread recreating famous moments in Spider-Man history.