DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: SEPTEMBER

Dolfan in NYC

The Marlins are set to offer Stanton the largest contract in club history.  (Previous record is 6/106 for Jose Reyes (lol).  The rejected offer to Pujols was 10/210).  

He's 24 now and will be 26 when he hits free agency. I'm honestly thinking nothing short of 10/250 will get him to say anything other than a series of expletive-laden directions for Mr. Loria, his mother, and the sculpture in the outfield. 

Yeah, gonna be honest, I really don't see Stanton re-signing is gonna be something the Marlins can pull off. If I'm him I have zero faith in management's ability to pull of a consistant winner around him. There prospects aren't very good (2 very high level SP prospects and not much after them), and a team that if he were not on it would not be in playoff contention. If he goes into free agency teams will be willing to pay him the same money, and a lot of them, in theory, will be in a much better position then the Marlins.

Posted for benefit of the people who whined about Josh Harrison making the All-Star team:

jhay.jpg

Andrew McCutchen is undoubtedly the best player in baseball and should certainly win his second straight MVP award but between all the injuries and Pedro Alvarez totally shitting the bed this season, the Bucs would've been absolutely sunk this year without J-Hay. Thanks Cubbies!   

Andrew McCutchen is undoubtedly the best player in baseball and should certainly win his second straight MVP award but between all the injuries and Pedro Alvarez totally shitting the bed this season, the Bucs would've been absolutely sunk this year without J-Hay. Thanks Cubbies!   

stanton-kershaw-9814.jpg

hi

• Like 1

stanton-kershaw-9814.jpg

hi

Yeah.  There's really no way you can put McCutchen at the top of the MVP picture with all the time he has missed.  Still, there are flaws with everyone so....God knows what will happen.

And remember, these are writers we are talking about and....if I smack myself in the face and think like them, I COULD see the writers being all -

"Kershaw is a pitcher!  Pitcher's don't win the MVP!  Fuck them!  They have the Cy!  Oh and he missed 3 weeks with injury!  Who's next?

Stanton?  If Marlins don't make the playoffs, we can't vote for someone who doesn't make the playoffs!  Fuck Stanton?  Who's next?

Umm...Lucroy?  Oh fuck him sideways!  The Brewers collapsed!  Who else ya go?

Posey is nice and white!  Posey!  Fuck yeah!!!"

Man, Toronto totally took advantage of the Cubs. I never want the team to go back to Toronto again, unless it's in a World Series.

Also, I feel comfortable in saying that Soler will do more for the Cubs and Chicago than Sosa did*. Exciting times ahead.

*If he stays healthy

stanton-kershaw-9814.jpg

hi

Yeah.  There's really no way you can put McCutchen at the top of the MVP picture with all the time he has missed.  Still, there are flaws with everyone so....God knows what will happen.

And remember, these are writers we are talking about and....if I smack myself in the face and think like them, I COULD see the writers being all -

"Kershaw is a pitcher!  Pitcher's don't win the MVP!  Fuck them!  They have the Cy!  Oh and he missed 3 weeks with injury!  Who's next?

Stanton?  If Marlins don't make the playoffs, we can't vote for someone who doesn't make the playoffs!  Fuck Stanton?  Who's next?

Umm...Lucroy?  Oh fuck him sideways!  The Brewers collapsed!  Who else ya go?

Posey is nice and white!  Posey!  Fuck yeah!!!"

Well, if the Giants manage to come back and win the division, it'll probably have a lot to do with how Posey's been hitting the shit out of the ball for the last month or so...  :)

Floating then building a Jeteresque "he put the team on his back because he just knows how to win and he's been there before!" narrative (complete with invocation of INTANGIBLES~!) would not be unexpected at all.

Assuming they can't reach consensus on which Cardinal they're supposed to apply this same principle to, of course. :)

Basically nobody knows/agrees on whether MVP means "Player Of The Year" or "Biggest Contribution To A Successful Team" and the writers seem to just bounce back and forth between the two based on who they already feel like voting for anyway and thus which rationale needs to be applied to justify it.

• Like 2

Actually, Kershaw is 13 K's behind Stras so it doesn't look likely he will take that unless Stras is terrible his last 2-3 starts.

Oh, and people should really look at Johnny Cueto's numbers this year.  If not for Kershaw being ungodly and Cueto being on a terrible team, we would seriously be talking about him for the Cy.

If things hold up, Kershaw will finish the season leading the majors, not just the NL,  in ERA for the 4th straight season.  

That's never been done before.

Ever.

As in, not even back in the days of Walter Johnson, Addie Joss, Three Finger Brown, and Smokey Joe Wood.  Or Lefty Grove.  Or Sandy Koufax.

And, hey, he threw a perfect game in high school where he struck out ever hitter.  AND hit a home run.

Speaking of MVPs, I doubt he'll win it but Victor Martinez has been the Tigers' MVP this year.  He's hitting .333, set a career high with 30 HRs, leading the majors in OBP and OPS and has been really consistent all season.  And he spent about half the season with more HRs than Ks.  He's not the complete player other guys are but he's been maybe the best hitter in the AL this year (toss-up with Abreu).

True.  But Kershaw has a legit shot to win the Pitching Triple Crown.

I just can't see how you don't go Kershaw unless you have an issue with pitchers winning the MVP.

Well I don't go Kershaw because I'm honor bound to never endorse a dirty stinky Dodger for anything :)

[but yes the Dodgers are like 20-4 when he starts and 1 game over .500 when he doesn't so he really should be the MVP.  Fun thing about pitchers as MVP candidates is you really can get a good "how good are they with him vs how good are they without him" picture.]

Yeah.  And that is the one rub with Kershaw because of his DL stint early in the season.

As of yesterday afternoon:

Stanton: 631 plate appearances; 331 fielding chances in 1250 innings in right field.

Kershaw: 662 batters faced; 66 plate appearances; 32 fielding chances.

So you could make a case that Stanton would be equally valuable and carried a much lesser team.

And Johnny Cueto with 8 shutout inning over the Cards.  This puts into perspective how good Cueto has been over the past 4 years...just, sadly, not in the neighborhood of Kershaw's insanity.

Rippa is going to punch me for this but...Cueto might be the new Curt Schilling as a guy who's had an eye-popping run but did it in the shadow of otherwordliness of others.

Hopefully, Cueto is just half the asshole Schilling is.

• Like 1

Three games completed so far today. Five of the six starters went at least eight innings, and those give combined to allow four runs, walk five, and strike out 36. Yeah, not bad. Also, Corey Kluber is now at 6.1 fWAR for the year, and Chris Sale is at 5.4 despite only make 24 starts. Great pitching is awesome.

And Johnny Cueto with 8 shutout inning over the Cards.  This puts into perspective how good Cueto has been over the past 4 years...just, sadly, not in the neighborhood of Kershaw's insanity.

Rippa is going to punch me for this but...Cueto might be the new Curt Schilling as a guy who's had an eye-popping run but did it in the shadow of otherwordliness of others.

At the very least, Cueto probably isn't going to swindle a shit load of money from Rhode Island while he runs a video game company into the ground.

• Like 1

At the very least, Cueto probably isn't going to swindle a shit load of money from Rhode Island while he runs a video game company into the ground.

Give him time - Cueto's not retired yet.