DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

It's a means to the end. I care a hell of a lot more about New Teen Titans or Legion of Superheroes or Justice Society than the property in question. Many times more. They can drag that through the mud as much as they want to if it means that the legacy and tone of the Waid/Kesel/Marz/Stern era DCU is back. 

• Like 3

I think my main problem with the big reveal is that said comic was targeted towards a different kind of reader than your average superhero comic fan.  It's sort of the whole John Constantine situation again and the decline/absence of what was the core Vertigo titles.

Don't get me wrong, though.  I'm glad old Wally's back and I'm thrilled that the JSA's returning, but I'm just not sure about the way it's happening.

2 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

So what exactly is The Joker's true name?

According to the second round of spoilers...

We don't know. What Batman learned from asking is that there's three Jokers currently in the DCU.

Which feels like a hilarious meta-joke for stuff like when Grant had him go thin duke of death then disappear but he was classic Joker in Birds of Prey honestly.

Just now, Mike Zeidler said:

Eddie Blake

Considering that Dr. Manhattan did something with the new 52, I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't know which is worse -- Marvel killing off Professor X and Wolverine and doing things to really show that they are dead and then doing the confusing Secret Wars or DC trying so hard with DC Rebirth.

I just hope Superboy Prime doesn't show up.

Well, I'm going to make a special trip to the LCS on Wed. to pick up Rebirth, so DC's succeeded on that score.  Assuming the leaks are legit, I'm fine with all of that - esp. bringing back Wally and the JSA proper.  I even like the Joker spoiler, though why Batman - with the power of a god - still can't get a straight answer to this is beyond me.  But, it's a sort of clever twist to the Joker character, opens up some interesting story possibilities, and is one of the few new things you can do with the property.

As for the big twist, I'm good with it.  Going to be a little odd seeing those characters pop up in DCU books, but.....

Spoiler

so what?  Moore's original pitch was to use the Charlton characters and it was only after the project was greenlit that DC decided thy didn't want to use the Charlton characters.  If the book had gone as originally pitched, there's a fair chance Watchmen would already be in continuity.  And retconning the New 52-verse in storyline allows then to partially pacify fans put off by New 52 and gets Barry off the hook for screwing things up in Flashhpoint.  I'm still not sure what Johns was intending there.  Flashpoint made Barry look like an doofus which surely wasn't his intention   If you're going to undo some of New 52 with a soft reboot, might as well make a storyline out of it.

The Superman thing is interesting.  Really, the only thing I don't like about Rebirth so far is the news that Johns is taking a sabbatical from writing comics.  It's trendy to bash him, but, as a writer, he's done very little over the past 10 or 15 years that I didn't like.  I even like Flashpoint, so far as that goes.  The Flashpoint mini was good.  My main complaint was what spun out of it.  Enjoyed the individual issues.

I'll miss Johns.  He's going out on a high note.  Really enjoyed Justice League in general and The Darkseid War in particular.

4 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

So what exactly is The Joker's true name?

My money is still on IC Weiner.

• Like 1

He is still overseeing Rebirth on some level isn't he? Also the Aquaman story he teased several years ago  is happening and should be technically co-written by him & Abnett so he isn't completely done, He just isn't directly scripting anything as I think Rebirth, the shows, and films are all keeping him too busy.

That newsarama review is pretty amazing. This has to be centered on the response to Superman vs Batman as much as anything else, I think. Yes, the comic sales faltering is a key, but if Superman vs Batman was a huge success critically and showed that the mainstream badly wanted that sort of distopian wrechedness, then that's the direction this reboot would have gone, even deeper into the abyss. I'm so glad that movie drove a backlash. I was talking to Brian last night and likening it to WCW, how this thing that I grew up loving was just gone forever. It felt like DC was headed that way, and this might be one last reverse course towards the light. 

(I still bet they're going to fuck it up though)

• Like 1

Rebirth had to be in the planning stages long before BVS was released,  And studio execs (and DC Comics execs, for that matter) supposedly expected the movie to be well-received critically and commercially.  It's only in the past two months that they've gotten a wake-up call about that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Rebirth had to be in the planning stages long before BVS was released,  And studio execs (and DC Comics execs, for that matter) supposedly expected the movie to be well-received critically and commercially.  It's only in the past two months that they've gotten a wake-up call about that.

They have rushed out crap like convergence before ; anyway, stop screwing with my victory lap.

• Like 1

It's really interesting to see Geoff Johns, who did some fairly optimistic work but was responsible for the much darker angle Wally took in his later years as headliner, and hugely influential on the darker tone the line as a whole took post-2003, start talking "hope and optimism" in the movies and writing what looks like an artistic response to his own art.  I hope it sticks.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

That newsarama review is pretty amazing. This has to be centered on the response to Superman vs Batman as much as anything else, I think. Yes, the comic sales faltering is a key, but if Superman vs Batman was a huge success critically and showed that the mainstream badly wanted that sort of distopian wrechedness, then that's the direction this reboot would have gone, even deeper into the abyss. I'm so glad that movie drove a backlash. I was talking to Brian last night and likening it to WCW, how this thing that I grew up loving was just gone forever. It felt like DC was headed that way, and this might be one last reverse course towards the light. 

(I still bet they're going to fuck it up though)

Its response more to Didio screwing things up the last 5 or years with the New52. Johns didn't want it. Flashpoint was supposed to end with the post-Crisis universe intact and who knows what the hell Trinity War was suppose to be originally as that got changed dramatically due to the reboot as well. Just reading BC the last few years it seems like Didio forced much of the shitty changes with Johns losing power comics wise because they wanted him to focus on tv & films while Lee just seemed to go with the flow. When they finally talk a little about what Rebirth was Johns more or less made it obvious Didio asked him to fix all this shit for him.

All i know is there are 50-60 years worth of DC comics i havent read and id rather read those than almost any current projects with a couple exceptions. I can get my current books from marvel, image, dark horse, oni, idw, etc. 

• Like 1