DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well it's on all the Rebirth and new number #1 covers

I stand corrected then.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Also, is Batman & Robin Eternal worth my time?

I haven't read the last issue yet, but I've enjoyed the series overall. It works well as an event a showing what the family and Dick can do w/o Bruce leading them. I do think the story could have done w/o Azrael. His story despite the connections doesn't blend in as well and gives no real chance to know him well as a character. Whats more the changes they did to him actually ruin some of the best aspects in his character. The writing could also be a little uneven at times during the first half as well due to so many different writers scripting. That said I think its generally delivered since then and has done a good job introducing Cassandra into the new universe along with finally revealing Harper's story.

B&R Eternal is great. I found the first Eternal kind of meandering so the fact that this has been super compact is great. Brings Cass Cain and Azrael back in new roles that work well. Harper's deal is great. Probably the best Tim's been written in the New 52. Lots of cool guest stars. Recontextualizes the Robins in a cool way. And in a lot of ways, Mother might be my favourite Anti-Batman.

I really loved it basically and the ending is more or less note perfect. I'd recommend it without reservations.

Plua there's three teenage girls in focus. (Harper, Cass, Spoiler) It was made for you Brian.

Definitely needed more Steph.

I'm still conflicted on this version of her. I really really loved the Pollyanna version from Batgirl. 

Has she appeared anywhere else than the two Eternals and that one issue of Batman so far?

I still maintain she should have been Bruce's partner after he came back. Keep Damian with Dick, have Steph bring light to Bruce's darkness (and then pair Black Bat with Tim.)

Well, it seems like Damian will mostly be featured in Teen Titans and Super Sons going forward while Tim, Steph, and Cass will all be in Detective with Batman & Batwoman. I am ridiculously excited at finally getting more Kate Kane back in my life again. I'm also digging that Tim's new Red Robin costume is more like his old Robin costume. Also stoked about Dick returning to Nightwing and the new Titans book, I've been loving Titans Hunt and I'm thrilled this will be the same writer. Hoping the latest incarnation of Red Hood & the Outlaws is good, though I am really going to miss Arsenal being in the book, I love the Jason/Roy bromance. 

Even with my annoyance of double shipping Detective might be one of, if not the only, book I get outright due to Kate and the general team makeup. That said, I still wish Rucka was writing Kate instead of WW.

• Like 1

I really like the idea is Tec on paper. Batman and Batwoman training the next generation.

But Tim seems like he's being regressed if he's being trained alongside the two girls who are, in continuity, brand new at this.

Finally read the last issue of Batman & Robin Eternal. I thought it was a great conclusion to the story. I dug what it set up with Cass and how it finished up Harper's story for now. Mother's & Cain end was also well done. Overall it was a good event. I'm really looking forward to where Rebirth takes things.

Wonder Woman Earth One was surprisingly straightforward for Morrison. There's some legit complaints about the book being a bit too "male gazey" but the artwork is absolutely stunning on a whole.

Pretty easily my favorite of the Earth One line (and I've read them all) which is kinda damning with faint praise, but I hope they do a few more volumes and Grant gets to put a definitive touch on the last of the Trinity.

On April 15, 2016 at 10:31 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Wonder Woman Earth One was surprisingly straightforward for Morrison. There's some legit complaints about the book being a bit too "male gazey" but the artwork is absolutely stunning on a whole.

Pretty easily my favorite of the Earth One line (and I've read them all) which is kinda damning with faint praise, but I hope they do a few more volumes and Grant gets to put a definitive touch on the last of the Trinity.

It was not nearly as controversial as I thought it would be. I'm a hardcore Wonder Woman fan and expected to be more offended lol As it is, I thought it was well written but pretty inoffensive. There were some interesting ideas there and it was cool to see some of the old school characters. Makes me curious to see Morrison's take on some of Diana's weirder Marston era foes. 

So finally started reading Batman pre-New 52 again. Just finished Time and the Batman which I dug overall. I'm on the Return of Bruce Wayne right now and have Batman & Robin must Die and the Road Home to read afterward. I was wondering when I'm done if I should just stick to picking up Incorporated, Black Mirror, & Gates of Gotham or if any of the other books were worthwhile?

• Like 1

That's the best stuff for sure.

That stretch is so weird too because of the way Time and the Batman, Must Die, and Return of Bruce Wayne overlapped in realtime so you'd get info layered. I'd love an absolute edition or big HC collecting it in the original reading order but that's way too eclectic for DC I think.

• Like 1

I'm surprised they haven't done it in omnibus form.

It's annoying how the run was collected. B&R and Inc both got absolutes. RIP got a deluxe edition, as did the first Vol of Inc. Years later they went back and gave Son and Glove a combined deluxe edition. Return, Time, B&R, and the new 52 Inc got regular sized hardcovers.  

B&R is getting a new hardcover collection of the entire run (I'm guessing much like The Dark Knight Saga deluxe, it's the absolute edition shrunk down to deluxe size)

So my collection has Batman And Son (New Edition that includes both Son and The Black For Glove) in paperback, The Resurrection of Ra's AL Ghul in hardcover, RIP in deluxe hardcover, Final Crisis in both the original hardcover and the absolute, Time and the Batman in paperback, B&R in Absolute, Batman Inc in deluxe edition, Batman Inc Demon Star and Gotham's Most Wanted in hardcover, and then all of Inc in Absolute. It doesn't fit together at all.

They really should just do an omnibus series. Two or three volumes, done and done.

• Like 1

I feel like they could do an Absolute Return of Bruce Wayne and incorporate the Time and the Batman stuff. Then maybe Absolute Editions of Son and Return of Ra's followed by Black Glove, RIP, with the relevant bits of 52 (mostly the Batman stuff from issue 30)/Final Crisis (the Darkseid showdown) put in correct spots.

Also, Absolute Arkham Asylum with Gothic as a backup would make me buy a fourth copy of AA in a heartbeat.

• Like 1