DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'm interested in several things, but the bi-weekly plan is a bit of a turn-off (the batbooks) along with some of them being a general wait and see due to how bad they were before. And then there are books they probably could have got me to pick up had they not gone in stupid directions with like Batman Beyond or Supergirl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Its response more to Didio screwing things up the last 5 or years with the New52. Johns didn't want it. Flashpoint was supposed to end with the post-Crisis universe intact and who knows what the hell Trinity War was suppose to be originally as that got changed dramatically due to the reboot as well. Just reading BC the last few years it seems like Didio forced much of the shitty changes with Johns losing power comics wise because they wanted him to focus on tv & films while Lee just seemed to go with the flow. When they finally talk a little about what Rebirth was Johns more or less made it obvious Didio asked him to fix all this shit for him.

I just don't get how Didio survived so long in his position (even being promoted once or twice)

He was a good schmoozer. And maybe he had bottom line successes that impressed the WB suits we dont see from the outside. He even frittered away the goodwill from being part of Reboot. 

1 hour ago, Mike Zeidler said:

If there are three Jokers, doesn't that mean Batman is a shit detective?

I'm more wondering how you can be the god of knowledge with a tool (the Mobius chair) that is basically all-knowing - and you still can't get the fucking thing to give you a straight answer to a fairly simple question.  Does Bats not ask follow-up questions?  You'd think the chair would tell Batman how there came to be three Jokers and who all of them are/were.

Also, in 2016, cant Bats just do some DNA testing on a strand of the Joker's hair? I understand in the 60s or even 70s. Its like watching classic spy shows that would be obsolete with modern technology. 

The thing is, you can't put the whole blame on Didio (even though I'd like to). Look at who runs DC Editorial, look at who some line editors are. Dc Editorial is run like Marvel Editorial in the 90s, hell even the art aesthetic is 90 driven given who the art director is. Everythign we loved about DC in the late 90s and 00s was washed away once they started turning DC into Marvel in terms of running their operations and who was writing an drawing the books.

James

• Like 1

As much as Johns has trappings of grimdark, I'd actually say he's tonally similar to Morrison's superhero stuff...going to dark places at times so the heroes overcoming with goodness feels bigger. For all the beheading jokes, Johns is great at big feel good moments and having his heroes really feel like *heroes*.  So his shooting for a lighter tone fits.

Okay, that was pretty great.

though I'm not happy with Linda not remembering him but then Barry does. I get it, it was a story subversion and a way to help with the deaging but come on, that's the love story that crosses time and space and dimensions. Not even a single mention of the twins, which again I understand (how could Wally be happy ever if he knew his children had been erased?) but still bothers me. The Watchmen stuff integrates pretty well and never feels like it's only a stunt. Poor Pandora, you've been scapegoated for bad editorial decisions. Rest in hell Nu-52

• Like 1

On 22/05/2016 at 8:09 PM, odessasteps said:

Also, in 2016, cant Bats just do some DNA testing on a strand of the Joker's hair? I understand in the 60s or even 70s. Its like watching classic spy shows that would be obsolete with modern technology. 

iirc they handwaved this years ago by saying the chemicals that turned him into the Joker altered his genetics enough that this wouldn't work. Which isn't really how that works, but it's fine for comics logic. It's also not like everyone's DNA etc. is catalogued for this though comics shorthand may tell you otherwise.

So DC Rebirth was actually awesome. It helps a lot that it's anchored by pre-reboot Wally West whi is an all time fave character of mine, but it also has the classic fun energy about it for the first time since the New 52. It's brimming with big, crazy, fun ideas and I'm genuinely excited about the line *as a line* for the first time since pre-Flashpoint. 

I'll miss DC You as it had some of the most forward thinking comics they've put out in a while. But hopefully once they've found their balance we can see some of that stuff integrated into the line again.

Say what you will about the use of Watchmen...it's a *weird* call. But the way they use them seems super fitting as both a meta commentary and part of the narrative, so hey.

Colour me pleasantly surprised.

Darkseid War's conclusion was a blast too. One of the best epic endings Johns has done.

• Like 1

The one that just wrapped? It's solid, occasionally really good, but it's mostly stuck trying to fix the stupidity of hire they handled the characters in the New 52.  It's a solid lead-in to Rebirth and Titans.

• Like 1

I bought Rebirth on Fowler's post and I loved it. I actually cheered when Barry remembered. It hit me in the feels. Was gonna get Justice League on what it said bit the store I went to was sold out, I'm just curious though, anything major happened in it?

• Like 1

Revealing that he came up with the ending before he even wrote the issue, Johns noted that "...It’s time for the [DC] universe, then, to confront the legacy of 'Watchmen' the way 'Watchmen,' three decades ago, confronted the legacy of superhero comics."

Johns added, "He took things away that are starting to come back...I think that’s a compelling story to tell. Ultimately, what is the more powerful force, is it belief or disbelief?"

I have to admit, on some level the idea they're tackling the idea that Watchmen broke superhero comics is compelling. I wonder if they're going to tackle how Frank Miller and people who wanted to be him fucked everything up too. Or the Killing Joke. 

Rebirth was pretty damn great.  As was the wrap-up of Justice League.  Like I said a page or two back, I'm really going to miss Johns as a writer.

Glad they brought back Wally.  Wish they'd bring back older Oliver Queen and his goatee, but that seems somewhat unlikely as long as the tv show is a thing.

So sooner or later, Dr. Manhattan will be positioned as the new Anti-Monitor in some sort of Crisis event, right?  Moore will go berzerk.

I'm really digging the idea of Rebrth, but I'm not sure that translates into sales for DC.  Right now, my DC pull list is down to four titles (King Batman, Wonder Woman, All-Star Batman, Tomasi Superman book).  Though some (all?) of those are bi-monthly so I may actually end spending more on DC.  I'm going to miss DC Now (and New 52, for that matter) being willing to take more chances on experimental books/creators/characters.  I'm not really a huge fan of the iconic characters, so paring the line to focus mostly on the Bat family, Supes, Wonder Woman, etc. isn't really the way to pull me in.  I was a lot more interested in Omega Men and Secret Six than I am anything in Rebirth except WW. Also, like Marvel right now, DC is sort of thin on esiablished writers I like well enough to follow to most any title.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Right now, my DC pull list is down to four titles (King Batman, Wonder Woman, All-Star Batman, Tomasi Superman book). 

I'm not really a huge fan of the iconic characters, so paring the line to focus mostly on the Bat family, Supes, Wonder Woman, etc. isn't really the way to pull me in.

it kinda sounds like exactly the way to pull you in, since you're getting 4 books and all four are the iconic characters.

pre-Rebirth, my only DC title was Grayson.

post-Rebirth, my only DC title will be Nightwing (which is bimonthly, so 2x the money for DC). i will see how the Batgirl series goes. if it is teenage hpister Barbara, i'm still out. if it's more like an actual superhero book, i may pick that up too.

• Like 1