DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

15 hours ago, Eivion said:

So finally started reading Batman pre-New 52 again. Just finished Time and the Batman which I dug overall. I'm on the Return of Bruce Wayne right now and have Batman & Robin must Die and the Road Home to read afterward. I was wondering when I'm done if I should just stick to picking up Incorporated, Black Mirror, & Gates of Gotham or if any of the other books were worthwhile?

Time and the Batman is probably the most underrated Batman book from Grant Morrison's run. If you want to carry on reading Morrison's Batman reign, it's:

Batman and Robin: Batman and Robin Must Die

Batman, Incorporated

Batman, Incorporated (The New 52): Demon Star and Gotham's Most Wanted.

Check this thread out, man:

You have to read Scott Snyder's Batman: The Black Mirror, that's a must. I recommend Gates of Gotham as well. Trying to think of other pre New 52 books.

15 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

That's the best stuff for sure.

That stretch is so weird too because of the way Time and the Batman, Must Die, and Return of Bruce Wayne overlapped in realtime so you'd get info layered. I'd love an absolute edition or big HC collecting it in the original reading order but that's way too eclectic for DC I think.

This. There's also Batman R.I.P.'s last two stories taking place just after that story going into Batman's Final Crisis predicament. Another thing is the naming of Batman, Incorporated. DC have the New 52 versions as Batman, Incorporated: Demon Star (Vol. 1) and Batman, Incorporated: Gotham's Most Wanted (Vol. 2). I probably would have gone Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 1) for the original series and for the New 52 era, say that with New 52 Part One for Demon Star and Part Two for Gotham's Most Wanted.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm surprised they haven't done it in omnibus form.

It's annoying how the run was collected. B&R and Inc both got absolutes. RIP got a deluxe edition, as did the first Vol of Inc. Years later they went back and gave Son and Glove a combined deluxe edition. Return, Time, B&R, and the new 52 Inc got regular sized hardcovers.  

B&R is getting a new hardcover collection of the entire run (I'm guessing much like The Dark Knight Saga deluxe, it's the absolute edition shrunk down to deluxe size)

So my collection has Batman And Son (New Edition that includes both Son and The Black For Glove) in paperback, The Resurrection of Ra's AL Ghul in hardcover, RIP in deluxe hardcover, Final Crisis in both the original hardcover and the absolute, Time and the Batman in paperback, B&R in Absolute, Batman Inc in deluxe edition, Batman Inc Demon Star and Gotham's Most Wanted in hardcover, and then all of Inc in Absolute. It doesn't fit together at all.

They really should just do an omnibus series. Two or three volumes, done and done.

With how the run is collected, you both helped me with the reading order. Thanks.

I own Batman and Son collecting that with Batman: The Black Glove (hardback), Batman R.I.P. (paperback), Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn (paperback), Batman and Robin: Batman vs. Robin (hardback), Time and the Batman (paperback), The Return of Bruce Wayne (hardback), Batman and Robin: Batman and Robin Must Die (hardback), Batman, Incorporated (paperback), Batman, Incorporated: Demon Star (paperback) and Gotham's Most Wanted (paperback). I'd like to get Final Crisis at some point.

This is the first I've heard about a Batman and Robin complete collection, just the #1-16 Grant Morrison ones, right?

Morrison/Millar Flash TPB is out this week.  I remember absolutely adoring "Emergency Stop" and the Krakkl story when they came out, and not much caring for Black Flash or the single-issue stories.  They should really have thrown in the other two parts of the Kyle/Connor/Wally vacation three-parter, because the finale makes almost no sense by itself.

Read Return of Bruce Wayne & Batman & Robin Must Die. Will have to reread the whole thing closer together at some point, but I thought it was a great conclusion to the whole Hurt/Black Glove saga. Morrison's Joker was such a pleasure to read. Going through Road Home right now. After that I will hopefully pick up Incorporated, Black Mirror, & Gates of Gotham next month.

• Like 2

So, a couple weeks ago, we got Wonder Woman Earth One, an out of continuity original graphic novel retelling of her origin.

In July we get Wonder Woman: True Amazon, an out of continuity original graphic novel retelling of her origin (by Jill Thompson!)

Also in July, in the alternating issues of the main Wonder Woman series, Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott are doing Wonder Woman Year One, a new version of her origin.

And in August we get a new packaging release of the first 14 issues of George Perez's WW run, including, you guessed it, his retelling of her origin.

I get it's the 75th anniversary. I get there's a new movie next year and they want a good collection of paperbacks available for the bookstore crowd. I liked Earth One and love the creative team. I love Jill Thompson, Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott. But Jesus how many versions of her origin do they need out at once? Especially since the movie will no doubt have its own take on the story.

• Like 1

Bond's firing also lead to a storm of Twitter grumbling that lead to Nick Hanover tossing out the open secret that DC had a known harasser on its editorial board, revealing it to be Superman editor Eddie Berganza.

It's about to hit the fan, kids.

46 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

So... end of Vertigo?

I'm kinda surprised Vertigo hasn't been shuttered already.  Doesn't feel like many people pay attention to the line anymore (aside from Fables).

American Vampire is part of Vertigo and that book is killer. Another limited series that did well as part of Vertigo was the Wake penned by Scott Snyder with art by Sean Gordon Murphy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super Ape said:

Bond's firing also lead to a storm of Twitter grumbling that lead to Nick Hanover tossing out the open secret that DC had a known harasser on its editorial board, revealing it to be Superman editor Eddie Berganza.

It's about to hit the fan, kids.

I'm assuming "harasser" = sexual harassment.

'Cause if he's just a jerk to the writers, he has a lot of company in that line and it's not very newsworthy.

Yeah, alleged groping of a female employee, allegedly forced his tongue in the mouth of the girlfriend of a DC artist.

Janelle Asselin has come forward to say she was one of the women who formally complained about him to HR, and the reason she left DC was him being promoted.

So when I stopped by my LCS today, a customer was telling the staff about the couple of times he has met George Perez...

... At Fetishcon. 

I had heard the rumors.  Didn't know George was apparently a regular at Fetishcon conventions.  Now know more than I wanted to about George.  Will probably never look at my Perez Wonder Woman omnibus the same way again.

I thought that type of stuff was well known. Not sure why you should look at your WW collection any differently. I believe bondage elements have been a part of WW since Marston made it her if I recall correctly.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, a couple weeks ago, we got Wonder Woman Earth One, an out of continuity original graphic novel retelling of her origin.

In July we get Wonder Woman: True Amazon, an out of continuity original graphic novel retelling of her origin (by Jill Thompson!)

Also in July, in the alternating issues of the main Wonder Woman series, Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott are doing Wonder Woman Year One, a new version of her origin.

And in August we get a new packaging release of the first 14 issues of George Perez's WW run, including, you guessed it, his retelling of her origin.

I get it's the 75th anniversary. I get there's a new movie next year and they want a good collection of paperbacks available for the bookstore crowd. I liked Earth One and love the creative team. I love Jill Thompson, Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott. But Jesus how many versions of her origin do they need out at once? Especially since the movie will no doubt have its own take on the story.

Don't forget Renae De Liz is currently doing a (great) take with Legend of Wonder Woman.

3 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

So when I stopped by my LCS today, a customer was telling the staff about the couple of times he has met George Perez...

... At Fetishcon. 

I had heard the rumors.  Didn't know George was apparently a regular at Fetishcon conventions.  Now know more than I wanted to about George.  Will probably never look at my Perez Wonder Woman omnibus the same way again.

I mean, look at his design work. Most of the NTT designs he did are pretty fetishy in one way or another. Not a huge shock.

13055583_10205719767825691_6821179007688[/IMG]

13012775_10205719768025696_6196743366538

Finaly trying to organize some of my collection. I'm deeply conflicted on keeping All-Star Batman and Robin with All-Star Superman or putting it with the rest of the Batman stuff.

No, that is not an excessive number of copies of Dark Knight Returns

• Like 1