DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Yeah, I've been dabbling in DC again lately over the last few months but nothing has grabbed me enough to really make me care about this. Fine, try again. MAke everything more extreme and less special or whatever. See how it goes. Then try it again in a few years. Whatever.

This would be depressing news if

1. I hadnt just heard the Who news

2. A blizzard wasnt coming

3. I read anything from DC thats not Batman 66

What's the Who news?  Google not helping me out.

1. No who in 2016

2. Moffat done after S10

3. New showrunner chris chibnall, formerly of torchwood, broadchurch and RTD era Who

This would be depressing news if

1. I hadnt just heard the Who news

2. A blizzard wasnt coming

3. I read anything from DC thats not Batman 66

What's the Who news?  Google not helping me out.

1. No who in 2016

2. Moffat done after S10

3. New showrunner chris chibnall, formerly of torchwood, broadchurch and RTD era Who

Lol, I thought you were talking about the Who (the band).  Never occurred to me you were referring to Dr. Who until I read your reply.  

New showrunner definitely welcome though Moffat doing another season and no new season in 2016 means we're probably 2 and half years away from seeing if he's an improvement.

The Didio/Lee/Johns era had done more to kill my love of comic books than literally anything and everything else combined

I'm with you man, I mean they could've done all this stuff, been just as successful but no, they don't care about the fans who were spending money before the Nu52. But they don't care about our business.

The only thing I was interested in was damn Earth 2 but even gave up on that after Convergence.

You people keep putting this one Johns & Lee, but from what I understand it really is Didio for the most part. I mean I suppose you can blame Lee for the designs (he didn't make all of them, but certainly approved some shitty ones), but Johns has little do with anything but his own comics. His actual job is more getting the tv shows & films out there. The actual direction of the comics themselves has been mostly on Didio the last 4-5 years.

Oh and it turns out Rebirth is just a Marvel style re-branding.

I would argue Johns set the tone for hyperviolence in his books and it followed company wide as he rose up the ladder.

I dunno. Johns also wrote a lot of fairly family friendly stuff before that. It was doing stories inclusive of that which made him really take off, so arguably he was just leaning his work toward the stuff that best paid the bills. It's not like things weren't already headed in that direction, either. Hell, if anything I'd put the blame on Ellis' Authority for that. They got perceived as 'Superheroes, but cool.' and that was basically the sign. And even that was foreshadowed by Watchmen, DKR, Judas Contract...it's been a 30 year path to this. If Johns wasn't the guy, someone more cynical would have been.

It's amazing just how bad some of DC's output is right now. Some is very good, but the lows are so low. I can't think of anything Marvel's published in years or that DC was publishing ten years ago that quite reaches the level of Teen Titans, for instance. 

My signed copies of Return of Barry and Race Against Time are probably my favorite autographed items I own. I only have Born to Run, Terminal Velocity, Dead Heat and those two (and a complete run of floppies from 117).  I'm really looking forward to reading the 'little' stories that weren't collected and getting a nice run of uniform TPBs on my shelf.

• Like 1