DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I disagree strongly but that's also a book that wasn't a great jump on for DC You given it's already an arc deep into a long term story.

Also the Spoiler in Catwoman is perfectly in line with the new take. It's not pre New 52 Steph but it's consistent with Eternal so that's not a fault of the writing. A lot of the other characters weren't really intro'd here because...well, all those questions were answered in the first arc. Unfortunately it was marketed as a jumping on point when it's very clearly part 2.

But yeah, I adore the current Catwoman run. I think it's the best thing done with the character since Brubaker's run (and I'm a fan of Will Pfeiffer's run). But it is heavily forward building and I'd advise starting from the start if anyone's interested in trying it.

• Like 1

I disagree strongly but that's also a book that wasn't a great jump on for DC You given it's already an arc deep into a long term story.

Also the Spoiler in Catwoman is perfectly in line with the new take. It's not pre New 52 Steph but it's consistent with Eternal so that's not a fault of the writing. A lot of the other characters weren't really intro'd here because...well, all those questions were answered in the first arc. Unfortunately it was marketed as a jumping on point when it's very clearly part 2.

But yeah, I adore the current Catwoman run. I think it's the best thing done with the character since Brubaker's run (and I'm a fan of Will Pfeiffer's run). But it is heavily forward building and I'd advise starting from the start if anyone's interested in trying it.

Well, according to the sales figures on Comics Beat, issue 42, the first one I read, lost over 18% in sales and was down to almost 22,000 units moved, which is damn near cancellation territory.

Unless it's doing gangbusters in digital sales, Valentine may want to think about changing direction pretty quick because this mob story arc isn't bringing in the readers.

EDIT: Admittedly, Lobo is selling in the 12,000 unit range, though even then, with DC cutting back on royalty payments, I can't imagine Ms. Valentine is going to be very happy when she gets her direct deposit statements from Time-Warner payroll.

Well, according to the sales figures on Comics Beat, issue 42, the first one I read, lost over 18% in sales and was down to almost 22,000 units moved, which is damn near cancellation territory.

Unless it's doing gangbusters in digital sales, Valentine may want to think about changing direction pretty quick because this mob story arc isn't bringing in the readers.

EDIT: Admittedly, Lobo is selling in the 12,000 unit range, though even then, with DC cutting back on royalty payments, I can't imagine Ms. Valentine is going to be very happy when she gets her direct deposit statements from Time-Warner payroll.

So to sum up: despite your differences in opinion, you're expressing deepfelt sympathy to Mr. Dragon, in that a comic he's very passionate towards will probably be unsustainable in the direction he is enjoying so much.

Because otherwise, you're really just being a dick.

• Like 1

I agree. This is the most fun and interesting Selina has been in a very long time. And it is a welcome change after the nonsense with Nocenti. But yeah, this issue is hardly a jumping on point. But I would urge anyone to catch it from the start of Valentine's run. She did a great job of bringing on this change while still incorporating aspects of the previous run (the cops, Tesla).

I'm kinda glad Valentine is leaving Catwoman honestly? Seems like she's telling the story she wants to tell and then peacing out which means I can expect a real ending to her run. I find a lot of long runs fizzle at the end so I'd rather have something concise and great.

Gotham by Midnight is a shame. Really good book. Omega Men is a bigger one. I was sleeping on it but due to word of mouth grabbed the first four and it is amazing. Hopefully they relaunch it as Green Lantern Omega or something to boost sales and finish the story.

Superman: Men of Tomorrow. I liked a lot of the concept and thought the writing had its moments, but I thought even at 7-8 issues the story ended up rushed and short. I also wan't a fan of Romita's art. Still, I did actually like the epilogue issue with the reveal to Jimmy. Not bad read at all but disappointing in terms of wasted potential.

Justice League: Gods & Monsters #1-3. Prequel to the film about how the three came together. Pretty good as expected. The narrating by Lois was interesting, and it was nice to see a reason for why she hated the League.

So I stumbled across this, this afternoon:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2015/01/19/abandoned-love-did-the-joker-turn-catwoman-evil/

...and WOW, Mike Barr and Alan Davis are so lucky that the Internet didn't exist in 1986, b/c this is just one of the most disturbing rape allegories I've read in a long time.  I actually felt kinda scuzzy after reading that article, like I did after reading the rape scene/massacre of small children scene in Kick Ass 2.

Thank God this got retconned out by Year One.

So for anyone looking to get Endgame in trade, get Joker Endgame over Batman v7. Joker marketed itself as just the tie ins but it has the whole main story as well. So for $5 more you get the backups, the annual, and the tie ins.

I preordered both and I feel kinda ripped off? It's less frustrating for me because I dig being able to read either the streamlined or complete version but I'm a format nerd. If you're thinking of buying one, get the Joker one.

EDIT: Also Jim Lee is talking about finishing All Star Batman again.

• Like 1

So for anyone looking to get Endgame in trade, get Joker Endgame over Batman v7. Joker marketed itself as just the tie ins but it has the whole main story as well. So for $5 more you get the backups, the annual, and the tie ins.

I preordered both and I feel kinda ripped off? It's less frustrating for me because I dig being able to read either the streamlined or complete version but I'm a format nerd. If you're thinking of buying one, get the Joker one.

EDIT: Also Jim Lee is talking about finishing All Star Batman again.

Thanks for the alert. I read recent Batman stories via Batman, a monthly UK publication which prints Scott Snyder's New 52 run. If I'm to get one in the proper book format, Endgame would be it.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/greg-capullo-to-take-a-break-from-batman-for-project-with-mark-millar

Scott Snyder says Greg Capullo to take "a little break after issue #51" from Batman to work on a project with Mark Millar. Capullo deserves a break though it's a big loss to the title. My choice of artists while Greg's away: Rafael Albuquerque, Sean Murphy, Jock and Tony Daniel.

• Like 1

From what I saw & heard at NYCC it's going to be Sean Murphy and I couldn't be happier about it. I'm a huge fan of his and he actually sat there and signed my entire collection, which includes everything he's done including variant covers. Snyder & Capullo were as gracious and friendly as ever and I met Jim Lee as well. I asked Lee about All Star and he said he would like to do it & that it all depends on Miller's schedule. After talking to Brian Buccellato I'm stoked for his upcoming Deadshot mini, which if it sells well, could become an ongoing. 

From what I saw & heard at NYCC it's going to be Sean Murphy and I couldn't be happier about it. I'm a huge fan of his and he actually sat there and signed my entire collection, which includes everything he's done including variant covers. Snyder & Capullo were as gracious and friendly as ever and I met Jim Lee as well. I asked Lee about All Star and he said he would like to do it & that it all depends on Miller's schedule. After talking to Brian Buccellato I'm stoked for his upcoming Deadshot mini, which if it sells well, could become an ongoing.

I'm outta likes my fellow American Vampire fan. Lucky bugger meeting Murphy, Snyder, Capullo and Lee. Glad to hear its Sean Murphy on the book.

• Like 1