DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

From what I saw & heard at NYCC it's going to be Sean Murphy and I couldn't be happier about it. I'm a huge fan of his and he actually sat there and signed my entire collection, which includes everything he's done including variant covers. Snyder & Capullo were as gracious and friendly as ever and I met Jim Lee as well. I asked Lee about All Star and he said he would like to do it & that it all depends on Miller's schedule. After talking to Brian Buccellato I'm stoked for his upcoming Deadshot mini, which if it sells well, could become an ongoing.

I'm outta likes my fellow American Vampire fan. Lucky bugger meeting Murphy, Snyder, Capullo and Lee. Glad to hear its Sean Murphy on the book.

Speaking of American Vampire, I had Rafael Albuquerque sign some more issues as well as of Ei8ht. I'm looking forward to the book he's doing with Mark Millar, Huck. 

• Like 1

Finished Fables: Farewell over the weekend. I was pretty satisfied with it overall. It ended happier than I was expecting, but nice enough. I dug the short stories, especially when they involved the Wolf Family. I'm going to miss this series.

Fables had that post-Morrison Doom Patrol vibe after The Adversary was beaten. Like the story peaked and probably should've ended , now you're just throwing things at the wall and see what sticks.

Still, even the worst Fables story is entertaining so I've got no problem with that. Which is more thsan I can say for post Morrison-Doom Patrol, so maybe I that analogy doesn't really work well.

James 

In hindsight, it really did peak with the defeat of the Adversary.

On the whole, yes. There was a lot of worthwhile stuff after though, and Cubs in Toyland is probably the best (and most unnerving) arc taken on its own.

I actually love a lot of the post-Adversary stories some of even maybe even a bit more for where they take the characters. None of it was ever quite as satisfying as the Adversary story, but that is more because none of them were the same in the type of length, build, and overall payoff. Everything after, even as good as they got, was much smaller in scale despite occasional importance.

Batman and Robin The Hunt for Robin. The first two issues featuring teams up with Aquaman & Wonder Woman weren't so bad, but nothing terribly worthwhile either except the general joy I get of reading Ra's in David Warner's voice. From Nanda Parbat and beyond though this was pretty damn enjoyable. I loved seeing Bruce & Frankenstein actually team up, and I loved the general craziness of the battles involving parademons, yetis, ninjas, ninja Man-bats, And finally the Justice league themselves. It was all kind of ridiculous and just so much fun. On the dramatic side I liked seeing Bruce truly lose himself when facing off against Ra's, and I liked how Tomasi worked Bruce being at odds with the league. it was also nice to see him use this as a chance to repair the schism caused by Death of the Family. Honestly this has probably been the best the book has looked since the strong first arc with Nobody. The plot is good. The pacing was better than the usual. And there was a good mixture of drama and adventure once the story hit Nanda Parbat. Hopefully the conclusion of the story and series delivers.

• 3 weeks later...

So anyone else reading Batman & Robin Eternal? Read the latest two issues and I'm enjoying it though there might be just a bit too much going on all at once. I like the main plot along with the Azrael hints dropping. I like Cassandra, but I honestly would be a lot happier if this whole thing ended with the return of JPV.

I thought it was a big writing mistake to show Mother for the first time in a flashback, though, especially when it was a flashback that none of the characters were actually experiencing, just supposition. I understand that she doesn't have the most interesting character design, but it was shoddy storytelling to introduce her that way after keeping her so mysterious for the first few issues.

Yeah, I can see that. I mean I do sort of appreciate less cageyness with the villains than Eternal mk. 1 and having her show up after seeing what she can do but without making a big thing of it is a decent compromise to avoid having it be disappointing because of how low key she is. They still could have done more with it but a big reveal of an underwhelming design wouldn't have necessarily been better.

on Friday i finished my great Batman read. took about 3 1/2 years, but i have now read every Batman comic book. Every issue of Batman, Detective Comics, and all of the spin-offs (excluding Team [justice league, outsiders] and Team-Up books [the brave & the bold]). I started with TEC #27 and went right up to the start of the New52. the only thing i skipped was Morrison's run, which i had already read twice by that point and was still ongoing. By a quick estimate, that's approximately 3100 books.

In addition to that, i followed the Teen Titans and New Teen Titans, right up into the 90s. Gotta follow Dick Grayson.

Also read the highly acclaimed Suicide Squad run by John Ostrander (which was phenomenal) which also led me to follow Secret Six (also fucking amazing). that adds another 500ish books.

it's been a hell of a journey. I've seen pulp Batman, time-travelling Batman, Intergalactic cop Batman, Superhero Batman, Batjerk, Batgod, and everything in between.

• Like 4

That is fantastic. I assume that is mostly ( if not all) cbr's? How many a day do you figure you averaged? I've been gearing up for a similar project, though my plan is EVERTHING DC up to Final Crisis. If I was doing Batman only though, I would have to include The Brave and the Bold and World's Finest.

That is fantastic. I assume that is mostly ( if not all) cbr's? How many a day do you figure you averaged? I've been gearing up for a similar project, though my plan is EVERTHING DC up to Final Crisis. If I was doing Batman only though, I would have to include The Brave and the Bold and World's Finest.

it's tough to say. i'd estimate it was maybe 3-4 books a day. usually i'd read one on each break at work, but if it was a really good storyline i'd marathon a bunch of them at home that night.

and yeah, it was all CBRs. made it relatively easy that if i found i was missing an issue of a crossover that i could just torrent it and not miss a step.

i read the first 70 or so issues of World's Finest, as they were solo Batman stories, but stopped when it was a Batman/Superman team-up every issue. Brave & the Bold i plan on visiting at some point, as 70s Batman is lots of fun.

good luck with your project, that will be a HUGE undertaking. are you starting with the Golden Age stuff? That seems like it would be hell for quite a while, as most of those stories are very formulaic and would get old fast.

i think i may start the X-Men next, going from the beginning up until 2000ish. whenever the movie came out and the books changed focus. then we'll see what happens.

are you starting with the Golden Age stuff?

Yes, with other companies like Fawcett and Quality thrown into the mix. I'm planning to focus on Super-Hero stuff mostly. No Romance, probably skip the Horror books, and only the Funny books that got the whole ball rolling. Maybe even throw in Timely up to the end of Captain America's run. I've been organizing them by year which is a project of its own.   

There used to be these insane history of DC torrents that had books arranged by alphabet that had damn near everything.

No clue if they still exist.

Yeah, it was called something like DC Chronology from A to Z. There was a later version that went year by year, but only to about '81. I devoted a lot of hard drive space to both. When you start adding in all of the public domain stuff, month by month it is a hell of an undertaking. There are at least a couple of PD Golden Age sites that I know of, if you're interested in that stuff.