DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I like to pretend that in 2011, DC decided it was getting out of the comic business and focusing on TV, movies, and games.

But if enough of you guys like Batman '66, I might give it a spin.

Is there anything good with DC's comics? After playing the hell out of Injustice and my son and I doing a Netflix marathon of Justice League Unlimited I was wondering if there's any good comics out

All Star Western

Animal Man

Aquaman

Batwoman

Batman Beyond Unlimited

Demon Knights

Dial H

Earth 2

The entire Green Lantern line

The Justice League series (JL, JLA, JLD)

Supergirl

Swamp Thing

Threshold

Wonder Woman

Those have all been consistently solid or more for the most part. There is other stuff like Suicide Squad which has improved drastically the last two issues due to a new writer. Lobdell is on and off though I'm liking his current stuff with Superman and Action Comics.

Is there anything good with DC's comics? After playing the hell out of Injustice and my son and I doing a Netflix marathon of Justice League Unlimited I was wondering if there's any good comics out

If you're looking for JLU tone, hit up back issues because it's long gone. If you liked the look/story of Injustice, dive right on in to the New 52 Justice League.

I have been tempted to go full force into DC nu with Demon Knights (cancelling, perfect time to jump in right??), Earth 2 and World's Finest (technically those books aren't really  part of the reboot, or at least that is my rationality on the matter)

Earth 2 is really good.  Demon Knights I'm behind on, but it's been fun. World's Finest is alright, but there is no way to not consider it part of the New 52.

EDIT:  Actually, I think the last bit of DK I read was the end of Cornell on the book.  Haven't read Venditti at all as of yet.  But it was really fun under Cornell.

I'm not making a new post for this, but I am trying to get back in the comics game.  I really fell in like, 2006 after Infinite Crisis.  Guys, tell me what the vital DC reading is, and in what order, please.  Watching the animated Flashpoint film has inspired me to try to catch up.

Well, DC kinda rebooted their entire universe in 2011, right after Flashpoint.  With the exception of the Green Lantern line, and maybe Batman, pretty much every book was pretty accessible, and they all got shiny new #1s.  I've not been a huge fan of it on a whole, but some stuff is really good.

Prior to that, Final Crisis was, imo, the best "summer cross-over megaevent" in comic book history, but it very much divided opinions.

52 was absolutely incredible, coming right after Infinite Crisis.

The Batgirl book that Bryan Q. Miller wrote 2009-2011 was the best pure superhero book in years, and everyone should read it.

Pretty much anything that has the name Grant Morrison on the cover.

• Like 1

Post-Flashpoint check out Smallville (also by Bryan Q. Miller), Adventures of Superman, Ame-Comi Girls and Batman '66.  Nothing from the "real" DC line sticks out, despite having read most of it.  Dial H perhaps, but that's off in its own little universe.

If you liked the Geoff Johns run on Green lantern, it continued unabated after Flashpoint until just recently.

• Like 1

The Batman RIP falls under the "anything with Grant Morrison's name on the cover" category.

He's on the verge of finishing an epic run on multiple Batman titles.  He started on Batman shortly after Infinite Crisis/One Year Later (first arc was Batman & Son) and kept writing that (mostly, there is a brief hiatus in there) through Final Crisis/RIP.  Then "Batman Reborn" happened, and Grant moved over to a new book called Batman & Robin (and that's also where the BQM Batgirl book came from.  As well as Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III doing Detective Comics with Batwoman, which was great, and Red Robin also came out of that and was really, really good.  Actually, the entire Batman Reborn run was really good.)

There was the Batman - The Return of Bruce Wayne mini-series, which ran concurrent with the last part of Morrison's Batman & Robin run, and then those led directly into Batman Inc, which he was writing up through Flashpoint and the end of everything.

Then Batman Inc relaunched a bit into the New 52 era, and will be wrapping up real soon here.

It's been a big, crazy, and awesome run that goes in weird circles and stuff.  It was unfortunately hurt a bit by the New 52 relaunch, as certain elements (and a couple characters) he was playing with suddenly didn't exist anymore, or were drastically altered, but it's mostly remained very, very good.

• Like 1

Yeah, one thing I'm finding is that the New 52 stuff has made it very hard to figure out where to go with Batman, and others in some regards.  I've at least somewhat kept up with everything, but trying to backtrack 6 years of stories has proven somewhat daunting.  Life was easier when I had a roomate who bought all the books every week :P

I'm going to hold off on diving into any new 52 stuff for now.  I'm still not exactly warm to the idea.

Thanks guys. How was the "Bruce Wayne is dead" arc? I'm gonna trackdown Batgirl. Are there any other single character arcs I need to see? Final Crisis was definitely on the list.

I certainly recommend Grant Morrison's Batman run which Brian talked about. Make sure you read it in order:

Batman and Son

The Black Glove

R.I.P.

Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn

Batman and Robin: Batman vs. Robin

Time and the Batman

The Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman and Robin: Batman and Robin Must Die

Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 1)

Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2)

I didn't at first as I only read what I could get out from the library or I bought from the shop. This year, I read it in the intended order for the first time and you get more out of it. Great run.

As for single character arcs, Batwoman: Elegy is great.

It's been a big, crazy, and awesome run that goes in weird circles and stuff.  It was unfortunately hurt a bit by the New 52 relaunch, as certain elements (and a couple characters) he was playing with suddenly didn't exist anymore, or were drastically altered, but it's mostly remained very, very good.

I prefer Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2) to Vol. 1.

i only buy two print books every month: Nightwing and Batgirl.

i also am absolutely in LOVE with Batman '66.

last year, i started reading the batman comics from the beginning. i must say, when they finally introduced the "New Look" Batman in 1964, it was amazing. and having read the O'Neal/Adams stuff for the last month or two, this is by far the best Batman to date. so many awesome ideas/characters/everything else that they added.

I certainly recommend Grant Morrison's Batman run which Brian talked about. Make sure you read it in order:

Batman and Son

The Black Glove

R.I.P.

Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn

Batman and Robin: Batman vs. Robin

Time and the Batman

The Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman and Robin: Batman and Robin Must Die

Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 1)

Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2)

I know "Battle for the Cowl" falls in after RIP, but does it include any of the titles Natural mentioned?

Battle for the Cowl is placed inbetween RIP and Batman & Robin: Reborn. It's a self contained 3 issue mini-series. It's not written by Morrison, and isn't anything special, but i liked it, and pretty important as far as the storyline goes.

• Like 1

Read Batman Beyond #18 yesterday which finishes up Adam Beechen's run on the series and the book itself. The Undercloud story ended on a pretty solid note, and I dug the epilogue with Bruce giving Terry and max their props while trying to be a little more open to people in future as he realizes/accepts due to recent events that he won't be around forever. It was a nice ending to Beechen's run and leaves plenty open for the next creative. Beechen started off pretty poorly with Hush Beyond, but he really seemed to learn and improve as his run went on. It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough that I'm actually going to miss him on Batman Beyond. Still uncertain about Batman Beyond universe, but I'm willing to give Higgins a try. The issue also featured the introduction of Batgirl Beyond by Scott Peterson. It was an interesting read. The issue is completely from Barbara's perspective despite introducing a new Batgirl to the Beyond timeline. Whats more, none of the regular Batman Beyond cast is feature outside of Barbara. Was hoping to get a little more on the new Batgirl, but I like her fine so far. She shows a decent enough personality, and I like her motivations for taking up the cowl. I thought there was a solid dynamic between her and Barbara. It would be interesting to see her interact with the normal Batman Beyond cast. Wasn't the biggest fan opf the art, but it was pretty decent overall. My biggest problem is that I don't think the artist quite portrayed Neo-Gotham as well as they could have even taking into account that most of the story tok place in a poorer area of Gotham. Minor complaints aside it was good story.

Not reading Justice League Dark on a regular basis, but I did enjoy the issue as part of the Trinity War crossover.  I actually am enjoying the crossover as a whole.  Especially their portrayal of how everyone treats Superman.  Well respected and given the benefit of a doubt among his fellow metas, but not as trusted to the goverment employees like Waller.  IMO, especially in the New 52, it makes senese.

• Like 1

Just finished Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Strikes Again".  Wow.  i must not have been reading comics when this was released because I've never read it before and didn't remember it even was a thing until last week.  I didn't quite hate it, but it's definitely not good either.  I fairly enjoyed books 1 and 2, but, taken as a whole, it reads like Miller plotted it as he wrote the scripts.  I really didn't get a sense of the world beyond Miller telling us it's a dystopia.  Too many events happen without any buildup or explanation why they're happening, and a lot of plot elements seem thrown in because Miller wanted to write a scene a certain way or needed something to advance the plot in a certain direction. 

I still have no idea what the Joker subplot was supposed to add to the book.  It seems entirely extraneous

And what did Dick Grayson ever do to Frank Miller to merit the absurd 11tth hour plot twist?

I kinda enjoy whacked-out Frank Miller, but he should probably never write super hero comics again.