DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'm currently rereading 100 Bullets and am just reminded how great this series was.

For some complicated reason I only read the first 36 issues, when it was originally published. So now I've finally decided to read the rest of the series in the form of those glorious deluxe editions they just recently put out. Volume 3 amazingly even starts at #37, so I don't even have any overlap.

Man, this series really holds up extremely well, and I think it's even better, when you read it in one continuous flow. I'm noticing a lot of stuff, that I'm sure just flew by me, when I read it the first time.

Speaking of Vertigo, I was really excited, when they announced six new titles a couple of days ago, but then I was immediately disappointed again, when I read the descriptions and none of them struck me as particularly interesting.

Oh well, maybe there's a sleeper hit in there.

Eventually, that new Sandman mini will be the first thing published since the end of Flashpoint by DC that I spend money on, although I'm waiting for the inevitable Absolute Edition so it matches the rest of my Sandman collection.

Once you got past the cheesecake designs, Ame-Comi Girls was the best DC title going in the infant days of the Nu52.

That strikes me of a "other than that, mrs lincoln, how was the play?" Statement. :)

Seriously though Mark, ACG is one of my favorite comics Marvel/DC over the past two years.

It's sad and happy that they knew the end was coming so they just threw everything out there before the series wrapped on a "Will it continue?' cliffhanger.

I'll be goddammed, but Scott Lobdell has managed to make the new 52 Superman book interesting.

Even more amazingly, he's managed to make the Clark/Lois "not a couple, but best friends" idea work.

No, not Superman Unchained, just the regular Superman book that Lobdell is writing.  He was like the 4th writer in the first 13 issues, but he's stuck around now.  And it's been pretty good.

I read the first issue of Unchained, but I already barely remember it outside of one really cool splash page of Superman rescuing a satellite or space station or something...

No, not Superman Unchained, just the regular Superman book that Lobdell is writing.  He was like the 4th writer in the first 13 issues, but he's stuck around now.  And it's been pretty good.

I read the first issue of Unchained, but I already barely remember it outside of one really cool splash page of Superman rescuing a satellite or space station or something...

Its amazing how many are trying to pretend that Superman Unchained is some great book. What Snyder has written so far is perfectly fine but nothing amazing and certainly nothing remotely as interesting as what Lobdell is doing in the normal books. That said, I do think Lobdell can be pretty spotty as a writer. I have really dug the latest issues involving Hector Hammond though.

Titles under DC/Vertigo that I am currently reading:

Batgirl

Batman

Batman & Robin

Batman: The Dark Knight

Batman Inc.

Batman Superman

Batwoman

Catwoman

Detective Comics

Earth 2

The Flash

Green Arrow

Justice League

Justice League of America

Nightwing

Red Hood & the Outlaws

Superman

Superman Unchained

Talon

Worlds' Finest

American Vampire

The Wake

I'm currently reading:

Action Comics

All Star Western

Animal Man

Batman (Year Zero)

Batman/Superman

Batman Beyond Unlimted

Batwoman

Constantine

Detective Comics

Demon Knights

Dial H

Earth 2

Green Arrow

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps

Green Lantern: New Guardians

Justice League

Justice League of Amercia

Justice League Dark

Larfleeze

Red Lanterns

Smallville

Suicide Squad

Superboy

Supergirl

Superman

Superman Unchained

Swamp Thing

Teen Titans

Threshold

Trinity of Sin: Pandora

Wonder Woman

That is what I read monthly. I'm behind on Flash (up to #16) as I'm not the one who is purchasing it while I also try to check out the trades of other series to see how they were. So far I'm two volumes into Batman, Batman & Robin, and Batgirl and dig all of them to varying degrees. Waiting to check out World's Finest, Nightwing vol. 2, & Phantom Stranger. Will probably check out Vibe and Katana when they become trades. Not sure if I will check out the Movement and Green Team.

Its been announced that later in the year DC will put out a Harley Quinn ongoing by Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner (only co-writing at the moment). I would be a little more interested if I didn't think the New 52 screwed up Harley a good deal.

Is that the crossover where all the super-villains guys finally fight?  I'm getting tired of the ones where the heroes fight amongst themselves.

Maybe next year the two sides can cross over and fight each other!