DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Odd question here, but I'm trying to compile a list of all the people who have figured out Bruce Wayne is Batman on their own. I was surprised after reading up on the subject that Man-Bat apparently knows, as was established in an issue of Gotham Knights from 2003. Can anyone shed some light on how exactly Kirk Langstrom knows?

Read Nightwing Vol 2: Night of Owls. The Night of Owls two-parter with Dick taking on his great grandfather who became owl was solid though unremarkable. The story with the Paragon and the Republic of Tomorrow had potential, but it it never really rose to a level above decent. It actually felt a little similar to what Tomasi did in Batman and Robin with Terminus and co. Can't help, but wonder if both stories couldn't have benefited from Higgins and Tomasi combining their ideas and giving them a little more time to develop. The final was the New 52 original of Dick Grayson. For the most part its pretty much the same story its always been with Dick being probably around two or three years older. The writing is perfectly fine though I'm not sure it was a story that needed to be told since it really didn't do anything new. Honestly the most interesting thing going on in this volume was probably the overarching plot in the background focusing on Dick trying to do something meaningful for Gotham and Haly's circus along with his highly awkward relationship with Sonia Zucco. Overall this was decent, possibly even better than decent read, but so far Higgins writing has just been very unremarkable. His first story was far tied to Snyder's Court of Owls story while he had a solid idea in the Republic of Tomorrow that he either wasn't able or willing to give time to. It worries me a bit since he is taking over my Batman Beyond which the first issue in print has just come out today. Hopefully the Chicago arc I have seen people speak highly of recently along with BB can help to heighten my opinion of Higgins' writing.

i'm a HUGE nightwing fan. at the point you're at, whilst reading the monthlies, i had pretty much decided that the title would never be above "decent". It has enough interesting things going on in the background, like Sonia Branch/Zucco, to keep me reading. I was very interested to see where the "Haly's has a permanent home in Gotham" was going to go, until i saw the ending, at which point it felt completely wasted. But yes, when Dick travels to Chicago, everything is all good again.

also, a couple weeks ago, i got caught up on Batgirl (i had stopped reading after #8/the 0 issue). This series also hits its stride at some point during the James Jr. stuff. Whatever issue number it is where Gail Simone comes back after 2 issues off (16?) is a great turning point, and feels like the title's going somewhere finally. Not sure how far they are in trades tho.

Glad to hear continued praise for the Chicago stuff. I'm curious, is the Chicago arc something you can just dive into or would it be best to read what comes before it?

As far as Batgirl goes I actually think its a good deal better than most give it credit for (only read the first 2 volumes). The problem is more that it isn't the Batgirl book many wanted. I believe the stuff you're talking about should be placed in vol 3 which comes out in October. I look forward to reading it when it comes out. DC has been slightly annoying with how slow they put out trades of the New 52. I don't even think any third volumes are released until next month.

Well apparently DC miss the point of Lobo, that he is supposed to be an absurd character and should look like an overmuscled biker from space. The new look Lobo is just... it makes me sad. Its like these people have never read Giffen!

James

Honestly, it kind of makes sense -- the version of Lobo that was made hugely popular by Giffen back in the day was meant to be a parody/pastiche of the "badass action anti-hero" characters that littered the landscape of the grim-and-gritty 90's, so a Lobo created in 2013 probably would be a commentary on the "tortured pretty boy" type like Hiddleston's Loki, any almost character Benedict Cumberbatch plays, etc., wouldn't he?

Post-80s?Lobo debuted in the mid 80s in Omega Men. He just became popular from his JLI and L.E.G.I.O.N. appearances after InvasionJames

The point remains. Other than deadpool, what other post bronze age chatcter became a breakthrough character for the big two?

If you think about it, Lobo and Venom got hot around the same time and both peaked and then deflated around the same time. So Venom would be the Marvel equivalent in terms of a character that blew-up big in the post-Silver Age (since both debuted in the late 80s)

James

This is from the writer of the book in question:

Dear Internet (which has called me some very unendearing names today),

I was not in charge of the Lobo redesign. Ben Oliver was not in charge of the Lobo redesign. 

I wrote my script, and after it was completed, I was shown what the new character would look like. 

For the record, the images you’ve seen—Ken Rocafort’s design and Aaron Kuder’s cover—are not what Lobo actually looks like in the book. I respectfully disagree with the decision to release that image.When you go to get your comics on Wednesday, Sept 11, before you buy it (if you buy it), pick up Lobo and read the first four pages.

You can hate me by Page Two.But if I do not have your attention by Page Four, you don’t have to read something of mine ever again.—Marguerite Bennett

I liked Bennett on the Batman Annual she wrote, so I'd be willing to give it a try at least.

That said, THIS is the reason I'm getting pissy with DC. I can take the New 52. I can deal with timeline stuff and redesigns. But their stubborn refusal to let anyone barring a handful of golden boys tell the stories they actually want to tell is turning the whole damned company into a series of joyless, lifeless books. If you're not Snyder (or protected by Snyder), Lemire, or Morrison you can pretty much fuck off. And that's becoming miserable to follow, both in terms of the behind the scenes and the end product.