DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXVII

Dolfan in NYC

I like Rollins, but unless Brock's head falls off his shoulders during his victory celebration I don't buy him cashing in on Brock.

Ultimately Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton cashed-in on knocked-out guys, so anything is possible. The issue is how to do a cash-in without putting sympathy heat on Lesnar; if Lesnar wins clean tonight that makes it harder. With Cena being off house shows (at least) whilst he films 2 movies, and Lesnar not doing house shows, and Daniel Bryan out indefinitely, I don't see them holding out on a Rollins cash-in until next year.

Rollins cashing in on Brock will be something else, but Miz cashed-in on Orton so I think it's on. Edging into fantasy booking but I could see Orton punting Lesnar over who the real 'Legend Killer' is or something, given that Orton/Lesnar is a fresh match and one that I think could work well. Orton's heel run is dead anyway, and they could do with a fallback babyface at this point.

If Brock wins the belt I would have Rollins try to sell the briefcase to the highest bidder. Put that shit on ebay or something that's how Brock should be booked no one in their right mind should even want to face him.

• Like 1

If Brock wins the belt I would have Rollins try to sell the briefcase to the highest bidder. Put that shit on ebay or something that's how Brock should be booked no one in their right mind should even want to face him.

The moment Brock signs a full-time deal than I'm in. Until that time, that can't be his role. Besides, Punk already went toe-to-toe with him - the Taker win has built his mystique back up again, but his role is ultimately to put people over. 

I don't see how they can book Brock as anything other than the most unstoppable guy on the roster. You don't let someone end the f'n streak and turn around and book him like just another top level guy. Beating Lesnar should be put over as the most impossible thing in the world to do. I'm fine with him not being full time that's what makes him stand out. When he does show up it's a big deal, and you know he's going to kick the shit out of someone.

I would love for Dean to take the briefcase if they would put it on the line. He would be the one guy on the roster nuts enough to do it. It would be the perfect way to write him off for his movie, and put over him and Brock at the same time. Lesnar needs to be the most unstoppable killing machine possible until Mania. You can either do clash of the titans vs reigns or David and Goliath with Bryan. 

I don't think Brock works at a full time guy. He would end up being neutered and succumb to the BS equal booking that everyone outside of Cena has fallen victim to. He needs to be a special attraction who shows up when he wants and kills people. I have no issue with him being champion because it would take us back to the old days where title defenses were a big deal..

• Like 2

If a house show is headlined by John Cena (w/a title) or John Cena (w/o a title) is it going to do any different?  I doubt it.

This was their excuse for keeping the two titles for so long and it's made no difference in business.  Whether it's Orton or Reigns, those B shows are doing the same now as when someone had a title. 

A champ who only shows up when it's important instead of being put on camera 2-3 times per show for no real reason is exactly what the company needs right now. Build up the secondary titles, make getting in the ring with the World champ a big deal instead of something that happens every week, and build up someone - Reigns, Bryan, Enzo Amore, whoever - for months without having to do a match three weeks into the feud.

• Like 4

I think the "Punk went toe to toe with Brock" thing is overstated.

Yes, he did.  But Punk was also booked as being the "best in the world" in a pretty literal sense, and the whole point of the build to the match was "Best Wrestler vs. Unstoppable Monster."

I did say then, and still say, Brock probably should have won the match without as much help from Heyman, but Punk hanging with him didn't hurt Brock much, imo.

At any rate, Brock has to win tonight.  Nothing else makes sense.

Brock should have been able to win without as much help from Heyman, but what was really well-done about the booking of that match was the no-DQ stipulation. Sans Heyman's interference, Punk was able to take much better advantage of that stipulation, (which makes sense, because he was a lifelong pro wrestler whereas Brock has jumped around from sport to sport,) the implication being that that's what was letting him hang with the more gifted athlete.

My biggest problem with that match was the third time Punk had Heyman and still took his time to let Brock recover.  Kick him in head and get back to the 300 lbs monster, god damn you.

What?  No, no, no, don't put him in the vice, that's stupi....  Shit, Brock got him.  Again.

To be fair, the Triple H match at WM was pretty shitty too..   It was just a shitty match all around. The cage match was their best and the SummerSlam match was "ok"  but man was the Mania match shitty. They probably should have only had the one match instead of a series. I don't think it really hurt Brock but all of these things put together are the reason why he MUST win tonight..

Brock will only draw as a special attraction. As soon as he becomes "another guy" all is lost. He shouldn't have a series of matches with anyone unless the matches are spaced out like with he and Cena. Put it this way, if Brock DOES win tonight..  Cena should not have a rematch with him even though there's the "champion clause" that says he should be granted one. Hopefully they can work around that.

Brock will only draw as a special attraction. As soon as he becomes "another guy" all is lost. He shouldn't have a series of matches with anyone unless the matches are spaced out like with he and Cena. Put it this way, if Brock DOES win tonight..  Cena should not have a rematch with him even though there's the "champion clause" that says he should be granted one. Hopefully they can work around that.

Here's what I'd do (fantasy booking warning): Brock beats Cena clean.  Cena comes out on RAW and can say "Yes, you beat me but you didn't kill me off like you said you were going to."  Before Cena can get to challenging Brock to a rematch, Rusev comes out and destroys Cena. 

For the next few months, Cena can be Mr. America and fight off the evil Russian monster to distract him from going after Lesnar. 

If you leave the title on Brock, you could conceivably have an epic Royal Rumble with Reigns, Cena and Daniel Bryan all with legitimate shots of winning in the eyes of casuals and hardcore fans.  It'd be a great debate on whether they're going to pull the trigger on Reigns, go to the safe bet in Cena or the fans choice in Daniel Bryan.