DVDVR Message Board

August 2014 Football Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Exactly - they have European game to concentrate on anywa......................... oh right

tumblr_n2w87oOUDC1rofocqo4_250.gif

That's cold

team

01 de Gea

36 Vermijl

41 James

28 Anderson

06 Evans

38 Keane

37 Janko

26 Kagawa

14 Hernández

19 Welbeck

22 Powell

Alot of kids but still shouldn't be getting beat by MK Dons. At least it wises a few people up that it wasn't all down to Moyes last season. Van Gaal has a squad to build not just a team.

None of the teams I´d have liked to go through to the CL-group stage made it. From what I could tell none of them really deserved it, albeit the Maribor goal had a pinball vibe to it. Celtic looked without rhythm for quite a lot of their match. Aalborg was just outclassed. Bratislava wasn´t creating much and got countered on at the end. I was a little surprised how the Celtic fans reacted with boos and jeers. Always thought they didn´t do that kind of stuff, although I could definetly see why they´d be frustrated today. Sorry for Celtic-brother Mag7. Hope your team will get a good EURO-league showing.

It was obvious how much Celtic miss Scott Brown, Kayal is a similar type of player but he's half the player he was before he got injured a while back. Brown motivates the guys around him - usually by shouting at them - and drives them forward on the pitch. Nobody else in the squad does that, as far as I can see.

Milan is going deep in the EPL leftover bucket looking to possibly sign Torres or Soldado as a replacement for Balotelli.

Abel Hernandez is apparently on the verge of signing with Hull.

Also the never ending saga between Man United pursuing Arturo Vidal is still going...

And Pato (Alexandre Pato!) received an offer from Torino and he turned them down... What's more surprising, at this point? Him receiving an offer or him turning down an offer?

Hernandez was a really promising youngster with Palermo years ago when we got Serie A footage in Canada. That was such a neat team to watch with that little bastard Miccoli doing crazy stuff nobody could predict, Cavani showing huge potential, Pastore creating from midfield, and Kjaer looking like the next Daniel Agger. They also had Balzaretti's hair. Good times.

Also, I love ESPN's headline: "Have United overpaid for Di Maria?" Hmm, is this a serious question by somebody getting paid to write this shit?

How anybody has any interest in Fernando Torres in the year 2014 is beyond belief.

• Like 1

I don't watch much of the Brazil league on GolTV but I was under the impression that Pato has struggled to even lock up a starting berth there since his return on any merit other than the reputation of being Pato.

He's still only 24 or 25 so I can sort of understand why a club might think he's yet redeemable. Why he'd turn down the move, I don't know.

How anybody has any interest in Fernando Torres in the year 2014 is beyond belief.

That sums up Milan currently.

Pato is the football equivalent of Tracy McGrady.

Maybe he has a good money contract? With Neymar delaying his move to Barca for quite some time I was under the impression that the Brazilian League is a pretty decent payday as opposed to the mid- and late-nineties, where Brazilian bargains were moved to Europe to get the big money.

Champions League sees Red Bull Salzburg getting eliminated after an 0-3 loss at Swedish champions Malmo FF. As a guy who calls Sweden his home away from home and a guy who is totally not cool with the European Red Bull teams (Leipzig in Germany and Salzburg in Austria), I´m definetly more happy about that result than about German representatives Leverkusen making light work of the Danish team from Kopenhamn. That was some good stuff. :)

So the absolute bat shit game of the night was Ludogorets Razgrad (Blugaria) v Steaua Bucharest (Romania) in the CL qualifying.

Game was tied with 2 minutes to go in extra time - when Ludogorets have their goalie sent off.

Only problem is they have used all the subs - so the centre-back Cosmin Moti has to go in goal

Onto the shootout - he scores the first penalty and saves two to send his team through to the CL for the first time ever

_77206509_aec522ea-cd28-4ebe-ac06-185dbe

• Like 1

The pots for today's CL draws:

Pot One: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Arsenal, Porto.

Pot Two: Schalke, Dortmund, Juventus, Paris St-Germain, Basel, Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester City, Zenit.

Pot Three: Bayer Leverkusen, Olympiakos, CSKA Moscow, Ajax, Liverpool, Sporting Lisbon, Galatasaray, Athletic Bilbao

Pot Four: Anderlecht, Roma, Apoel Nicosia, Bate Borisov, Ludogorets, Maribor, Monaco, Malmo

I will laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh if we get a Real/PSG/Ajax/Roma group.

People made fun of van Gaal for getting Dutchmen in numbers a couple of years ago. Now Guardiola is on a good way getting Spaniard after Spaniard into the Bundesliga. A weird transfer, albeit it is probably meant to be a workaround after all those injuries of players who are first choices or back ups in CM-positions.

Also, Borussia Dortmunds seems to try and take back Shinji Kagawa who couldn´t really get a starting eleven spot at ManU. Might be the best choice for everyone involved, especially if you consinder Kagawa is still really young and worked incredibly well at Dortmund.

• Like 1