DVDVR Message Board

August 2014 Football Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Also Spanish news sites have reported Barça contacted Florentino Perez earlier today and offered them 60 mil. for Di María and he turned them down... lol

Aaaaaand Balotelli has arrived Liverpool's Melwood training facility... Or so I'm seeing on Twitter...

2598j7m.jpg

I guess the idea is to carry over the 4-4-2 diamond. Two pretty big egos incoming for Brendan to balance, good luck. Then you have Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling, and Markovic battling it out for one position - though both Coutinho and Lallana can and have played deeper it's not their best place to play.

I think the whole 'Small Squad, won't be able to handle the pressure of the league and Europe simultaneously' talking point might be dead in the water soon though.

I mean, it's a lot of money to spend on removing a talking point, but so be it. You don't want to Moyes the thing up any more than you have to.

Good season opener for the Bundesliga. Bayern looked like their usual self, but collapsed immediatly after Olic´s wonderstrike. Could have been a point for Wolfsburg, maybe even a win if Malanda scored a goal instead of having an early candidate for miss of the season. Although I´d not blame him. Wolfsburg looked very competitive for the second half, right in a phase where Bayern seemed to have taken control. Next matchday sees Bayern in an away game at Schalke, which made be tough if S04 takes a close look at this game. Robben had a tremendous game. He has grown so much since that nightmare 2012 season of his, he is way more stable mentally and has become a much better teamplayer. Caliguiri was a great sub for Wolfsburg, winning balls and creating lots of space and chances.

Sergio Ramos, HIJO DE PUTA!  Sergio Ramos, HIJO DE PUTA!

Great 2nd leg, congrats Atletico!  I was wondering how they would look with all the transfers, but damn they looked just as good as last year if not better! Simeone is indeed a master manager, the way he whips the crowd into a frenzy is a huge part of why they do so well.  I hope they can top La Liga again this year

I haven´t seen that much La Liga last year so I can only compare to their style in their Champion´s League appearances and I slept through basically the last thirty minutes, but compared to the little I saw, they allowed way more chances, especially in the first half, than they did in the top games last year. In the Champion´s league final, they collapsed near the end after doing lots of running, here they seemed shaky way sooner. They still looked competitive, something you couldn´t bet on with so many players gone. We might be in for another very interesting LaLiga-season with Atletico, Barca and Real all having a serious shot at winning.

There have been many great players to play in MLS over the past 19 seasons, but with all due respect to them I say that Thiery Henry is the greatest. It is a pleasure to watch a master of his craft and if you are in NY or another MLS city and we come to your town then you owe it to yourself to go see him live. And on a related note I wonder when an English side will make a bid for Bradley Wright Phillips? He has a real shot to break the league single season scoring mark.

In what world is Angel di Maria worth £60m? He's a guy that seems like he struggles when he's not the third or fourth option, though I suppose he'll be just that for United behind Wade Rodney, RVP, and perhaps Mata. How does he fit into Van Gaal's 5-3-2?