DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL PRESEASON

RIPPA

As a Browns fan I would like to say fuck each and every one of you...

As a sports fan I would like to say that I don't know if Manziel is going to be any good at all, but I hope to god that he ends up being great.  Not only would it be good for my team, but I'm all about people behaving like assholes in public.  Johnny would be the first chickenshit heel quarterback.  He's basically Tully Blanchard in cleats, how the hell can you so called wrestling fans root against him. 

• Like 1

The difference is that Tully popped a lot of shit but could back it up. I'm positive when he was a rookie prelim guy he wasn't carrying himself as if he was already the man.

I think Johnny will be fine in his second stop in the league - Dallas, if I had to guess - but I think the Browns need someone a little less flamboyant and a little more humble. A wise man around these parts once said "lurk and learn". He'd do well to take heed.

• Like 1

The difference is that Tully popped a lot of shit but could back it up. I'm positive when he was a rookie prelim guy he wasn't carrying himself as if he was already the man.

I think Johnny will be fine in his second stop in the league - Dallas, if I had to guess - but I think the Browns need someone a little less flamboyant and a little more humble. A wise man around these parts once said "lurk and learn". He'd do well to take heed.

I don't think that there is any more overrated quality for an athlete than humility.  When has humble ever been something that you needed to be better than someone at anything?  I'd say it is more of a detriment to being great than an advantage.

I don't think that there is any more overrated quality for an athlete than humility.  When has humble ever been something that you needed to be better than someone at anything?  I'd say it is more of a detriment to being great than an advantage.

Works for this guy.

1291100011_peyton.jpg

Humbled Face

That isn't Manning's humbled face. That's his "this artificial turf sure looks nice" face. Or it could be his "shouldn't have had orange juice with pizza" face. I mean, you never really know.

• Like 1

I don't think that there is any more overrated quality for an athlete than humility. When has humble ever been something that you needed to be better than someone at anything? I'd say it is more of a detriment to being great than an advantage.

So you don't think it's a problem that your team's alleged franchise QB is (reportedly) too cocky to bother to show up on time, and that he (definitely) can't keep his emotions in check long enough to not flip off the Washington sideline?

OK.

• Like 1

I don't think that there is any more overrated quality for an athlete than humility. When has humble ever been something that you needed to be better than someone at anything? I'd say it is more of a detriment to being great than an advantage.
So you don't think it's a problem that your team's alleged franchise QB is (reportedly) too cocky to bother to show up on time, and that he (definitely) can't keep his emotions in check long enough to not flip off the Washington sideline?

OK.

Veeg, aren't you a Panthers fan? Isn't there a saying about throwing stones in glass houses? You are only allowed to talk shit after JFF steals Brian Hoyer's laptop. Until then, I think we should all refrain from pearl clutching.

• Like 1

OK.

No, I don't think that humble has anything to do with being good at football.  Was Jim Brown humble?  How about T.O.?  Michael Irvin?  Warren Sapp?  Brett Favre?  Johnny Unitas?  Joe Namath?  Peyton Manning isn't humble, that man thinks he's the shit...that is why he's the shit. 

• Like 1

OK.

Veeg, aren't you a Panthers fan? Isn't there a saying about throwing stones in glass houses? You are only allowed to talk shit after JFF steals Brian Hoyer's laptop. Until then, I think we should all refrain from pearl clutching.

Give me one example of Cam fucking up IN THE PRESEASON OF HIS ROOKIE YEAR. At that point it's a fair comparison.

• Like 1

The whole 'mature QB' meme is getting out of hand.  Yeah, you want your franchise guy to be smart and make meetings and know how to keep his cool under pressure.  So Manziel is doing himself no favors there. But the whole idea that all these guys should come out of college 100% prepared is ridiculous.  Even the ones who had their stuff together going into the league--Elway, Peyton, Luck--had to learn and adjust for the first 2-3 seasons of their careers.

If a QB sulks for 3 seconds, he's a crybaby.  If he sit by himself on the bench to collect his thoughts, he hates his teammates.  If he's only the second person into the weight room in the morning, he's a slacker.  It's too much dialogue. Just shut up already. Damn.  (that's just a general statement, not directed to anyone here)

• Like 7

The whole 'mature QB' meme is getting out of hand.  Yeah, you want your franchise guy to be smart and make meetings and know how to keep his cool under pressure.  So Manziel is doing himself no favors there. But the whole idea that all these guys should come out of college 100% prepared is ridiculous.  Even the ones who had their stuff together going into the league--Elway, Peyton, Luck--had to learn and adjust for the first 2-3 seasons of their careers.

If a QB sulks for 3 seconds, he's a crybaby.  If he sit by himself on the bench to collect his thoughts, he hates his teammates.  If he's only the second person into the weight room in the morning, he's a slacker.  It's too much dialogue. Just shut up already. Damn.  (that's just a general statement, not directed to anyone here)

This is my exact point.  Everyone is all of a sudden mature, humble, and a winner when they win, but it is all bullshit.  Elway pouted his way out of the Colts, Peyton looks like someone stole his puppy every time he throws an interception, Brady berates his teammates, and everyone else does something that is probably cocky or immature.  These guys are all cocky, that is part of the job.  Whether any of us thinks they're humble is about as irrelevant as what shoe they put on first.

I learned to embracte the douchebaggery long ago. Jay Cutler's on my team.

Also another reason why I watch games on mute, so I don't have to hear whether someone is leading right or whatever.

• Like 1