DVDVR Message Board
Cristobal

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Had a really rough day with my Mom yesterday.  Without going into too much detail - she had a bladder issue where she wasn't able to control having little accidents so her whole place is littered with clothes/furniture/carpet that smells like stale pee.  She had a procedure to take care of the issue last week so my brothers and I went over yesterday to help clean the place up.  ago

When we first get there, she doesn't even know where she is.  She thinks she's in a hotel in San Jose and doesn't recognize that she's in her own apartment.  Secondly she tells us to be quiet because there is a little girl and a man in her bedroom and have been there all night keeping her awake.  She then starts crying for the better part of the next two hours but can't explain why.  As far as we can tell she's not taking her meds, not feeding herself, barely able to use the restroom and just sits on the couch and stares into space or sleeps all day long with exactly zero desire to thrive.  It's just awful - we've spent the time since then looking for assisted living facilities because I don't have room in my small apartment and my brothers aren't willing to take her in (THAT'S a whole different issue that I'm pretty furious at, but I get it).  It wasn't even 6 months ago that she was diagnosed with pre-alzheimer's and it's progressed this bad so quickly.  I've spent the day at work just googling about it and reading about these are the symptoms of someone so much farther along that where we thought she was.  This disease can just fuck off.  

• Sad 11

6 hours ago, CSC said:

Had a really rough day with my Mom yesterday.  Without going into too much detail - she had a bladder issue where she wasn't able to control having little accidents so her whole place is littered with clothes/furniture/carpet that smells like stale pee.  She had a procedure to take care of the issue last week so my brothers and I went over yesterday to help clean the place up.  ago

When we first get there, she doesn't even know where she is.  She thinks she's in a hotel in San Jose and doesn't recognize that she's in her own apartment.  Secondly she tells us to be quiet because there is a little girl and a man in her bedroom and have been there all night keeping her awake.  She then starts crying for the better part of the next two hours but can't explain why.  As far as we can tell she's not taking her meds, not feeding herself, barely able to use the restroom and just sits on the couch and stares into space or sleeps all day long with exactly zero desire to thrive.  It's just awful - we've spent the time since then looking for assisted living facilities because I don't have room in my small apartment and my brothers aren't willing to take her in (THAT'S a whole different issue that I'm pretty furious at, but I get it).  It wasn't even 6 months ago that she was diagnosed with pre-alzheimer's and it's progressed this bad so quickly.  I've spent the day at work just googling about it and reading about these are the symptoms of someone so much farther along that where we thought she was.  This disease can just fuck off.  

Very sorry, my friend.  

19 hours ago, CSC said:

I'm so sorry. The only small hope I can give you right now is that sometimes urinary track infections give older people weird mental symptoms. Mom had one right before she moved in with me and the retirement place she was living in sent her to the ER because they thought she was having a stroke. *hugs*