DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

AoT's an odd duck.  It really only cares about 5 or so characters, everyone else is fodder (Terra Formars is having this issue right now).  The concept was good to start, but once the Female Titan reveal happened, it opened up a ton of questions they were never going to answer this Series.   But, it was good enough, Eren wasn't bad, and Mikasa was badass enough that I'll keep watching when Series 2 hits.  And yes, over the summer, they announced they were in production of Series 2 and it'll be out in 2015.    And they'll be following the Manga, so I know where they're going.

I'm actually liking that this is a growing trend in Anime that's adapted from Manga.  If they catch up, they stop at a good point and split it into seasons, letting the Manga get a ton of materiel out to adapt, instead of running straight and changing the story (like, you know, how disjointed the back half of Soul Eater was because it broke from the FAR superior Manga story)  Soul Eater is funny though, you watch OP2, and you see that it looks like they were gonna run with the Manga story, then they got into that castle assault arc and someone decided to wrap it up out of no where.

So they finally ran out of Bleach episodes to dub.  I know the manga is still going, so its always possible it'll come back, but eh.

So they finally ran out of Bleach episodes to dub.  I know the manga is still going

Fuckin hell. One day i'll get back into Bleach, I swear. I was super into reading it early in it's run but stoped shortly after the anime first got going. Never have seen a full ep of it either. 

I was jazzed to learn the other day the Gantz manga was over so i'll go back and re-read / catch up on that too. 

What do people think of Attack on Titan now that most everyone who wants to see it dubbed or subbed probably has (dvd box sets are available in the US and the Adult Swim run is almost over).  I don't think it's over-rated, exactly, but it didn't do much for me.  I didn't feel like most of the characters were well-developed and too many characters just got thrown at the viewer at the same time without an introduction.  There are several major characters I never got a handle on.

I like a lot of what they did, particularly in the back half of the series (female titan arc), but my overall impression is that most of the run should form episodes 14-36 of a 70 or 100 episode run (and I hardly ever want shows to go on even longer.  26-50 eps is perfect for most anime).

I thought AOT was pretty good overall. The plot is solid. I like the mysteries even if none of my questions have been answered yet.. And the characters focused on were generally solid. Its not the most amazing thing ever, but its probably one my favorite anime from the last few years.

From The Vault: Gatchaman 98

Below are the character designs for Tatsunoko's failed "Gatchaman 98" project. It went into development right after the new "Mach E GoGo Go!" began airing but when that tanked Gatchaman 98 was abandoned. What we have are the character designs for Ken, Joe, Jun and Jinpei. The last one is for Galactor troops and possibly the new Blackbird Squadron designs. I only learned of this failed project recently. It didn't even get a page in the updated version of Gatchaman Graffiti a few yers back.

KenandJoe98concept.jpg

JunJinpei98concept.jpg

Galactor98concept_2.jpg

What do people think of Attack on Titan now that most everyone who wants to see it dubbed or subbed probably has (dvd box sets are available in the US and the Adult Swim run is almost over).  I don't think it's over-rated, exactly, but it didn't do much for me.  I didn't feel like most of the characters were well-developed and too many characters just got thrown at the viewer at the same time without an introduction.  There are several major characters I never got a handle on.

I like a lot of what they did, particularly in the back half of the series (female titan arc), but my overall impression is that most of the run should form episodes 14-36 of a 70 or 100 episode run (and I hardly ever want shows to go on even longer.  26-50 eps is perfect for most anime).

Just my opinion, but AoT is nowhere near FMA or Ghost in the Shell for me.  

Have they really not announced another season?  That seems like a no-brainer given how successful the anime was.

Also, Bleach ends it's run on Toonami/Adult Swim this weekend.  End of an era.  They've been showing first-run dubbed episodes in the same time slot for over eight years.  I feel old.  I remember when CN just acquired the license to InuYasha.

Incredibly "meh" on AoT. A lot of the big reveals after the stuff with Annie in the manga just felt incredibly flat and predictable to me. Eren and the Armored/Colossal Titans have a pretty bitchin' fight, though.

Akame ga Kill! is reaching Game of Thrones levels of "Don't get attached"

EDIT:

And Terra Formars just went back into that "serious anime that does ridiculous shit" territory again with the woman breaking a giant Roach/Diving Beetle hybrid's legs with a Figure 4... underwater.

So, I went with Akame ga Kill!, which has been pretty awesome.

I tried Kill la Kill, and only made it one episode.  Too FLCL-whacked out-ish for me, just can't stay into it.

So now, I figured I'd bang out Fate/Zero then catch up on Fate/stay night as my next exercise.  Damn, it esclated quickly.

So, I went with Akame ga Kill!, which has been pretty awesome.

I tried Kill la Kill, and only made it one episode.  Too FLCL-whacked out-ish for me, just can't stay into it.

So now, I figured I'd bang out Fate/Zero then catch up on Fate/stay night as my next exercise.  Damn, it esclated quickly.

I would say Kill la Kill gets better as the series goes on and it gets more over the top. It's probably worth it to at least watch the first three episodes before deciding whether to drop it.

Kill la Kill is very Gurren Lagannish which is why I suggested it. I suppose I should have mentioned it before.

JUST got into Bleach and plowed through the first 75 or so dub episodes in the past few months.

Hard to believe Naruto's wrapping up and Bleach is almost there (manga, anyway).

There's still One Piece and Fairy Tail, anyway.

Naruto's finally wrapping up?  I should probably go back and watch it.  I should like it and Bleach given my love for Fairy Tail.

Don't like Fairy Tail went into another filler arc, but since the current manga arc isn't done, I can forgive it.

Still hate the soundtrack change.

I'm digging the hell out of Fate/Zero.  I'm just hoping that Fate/stay night is as good when I get there.

EDIT: Gotta love Crunchyroll's automated email's being four days behind on telling me things on my queue have new episodes.

I'm digging the hell out of Fate/Zero.  I'm just hoping that Fate/stay night is as good when I get there.

The original Fate/stay night anime is a hot mess.  They basically combined aspects of all three routes in the visual novel into one plot and it's just not good

Now the Unlimited Blade Works movie is great (which might be a biased opinion since UBW is my fav route of the game), but it does require basic knowledge of the first route of the game.  I have not watched the UBW tv show, it might cover the basic info you should need to know.

There is a Heaven's Feel movie coming soon (?) which should cover the final route of the the original game.

What we really need is a translated All-ages version of the game.

I'm only really watching three shows right now just due to lack of time:

Build Fighters Try:  It's more build fighters, so if goofy mech action with tons of gundam cameos is your thing then it's perfect.  I swear this season exists to make me buy all the gunpla kits.

Reconguista in G:  Only 4 eps in and it feels like Tomino is cramming worldbuilding in at a record pace.  I like that it's feels more Turn A/Gainer than early Tomino, so I'll stick with it.  Also the G-Arcane is a glorious mobile suit.

Magic Kaito 1412:  I've got no background in Detective Conan/Case Closed, but I liked the general concept so I gave it a spin.  It might be the show I'm enjoying the most at the moment.  And while Kaito's plans always working might grow old on me, it hasn't hit Future Chess/Exactly as Planned levels yet.

Naruto's finally wrapping up?  I should probably go back and watch it.  I should like it and Bleach given my love for Fairy Tail.

Don't like Fairy Tail went into another filler arc, but since the current manga arc isn't done, I can forgive it.

Still hate the soundtrack change.

EDIT: Gotta love Crunchyroll's automated email's being four days behind on telling me things on my queue have new episodes.

Naruto TV show's still going but the final chapters of the manga come out this week.  There's also an epilogue movie being released in December.

There being 2 different people who can summon the golden armor is going to make for an interesting twist in the GARO anime. 

Decided to start back up with Fist of the North Star again to keep me held over in between GARO. I'm up through ep 27, going to be so sad when Ken & Rei have to fight it out 

So Naruto the manga is finally over:

Harry Potter style ending.  Characters are older.  Naruto is hokage now.  Everyone's settled down, married, has kids etc.

Sakura married Sasuke and they have a daughter named...Salad...who is crushing on Naruto's son...Bolt.

Mixed feelings overall.  When Naruto was good, I think it was really good.  I think the second half just became an overwrought, convoluted mess.  I don't think it quite lived up to the promise of all the shit that went down right at the end of the pre-timeskip.

The best thing about Naruto ending is watching ship obsessed fans utterly lose their shit over the epilogue.

Which is gonna make my head hurt when Fairy Tail eventually does it in a couple years.

• Like 1