DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

I love that the king is so bellicose and awful that he books a to-the-death fighting tourney, wiping out most of his Beastmen to determine which one to send after GoLion. (Wouldn't it be smarter to just send all eight of them to the planet at once?)

Haha, apparently they have an unlimited # of beastmen by the end of the series. Later on they hatch a plan to send 500 of them after Golion and STILL have a death tournament to select the strongest ones. Then the ship carrying them gets blown up and the King is just like "fuck it, i'll find 500 more"

I believe the story line reason for why they never sent multiple in the past was that they didn't have multiple giant mech bots for the beast men to pilot. 

Started SPT Layzner and 1 ep in i'm allready in love. Just watching the opening credits I could tell this was going to be my kind of show. No light hearted comedy, no moe, no fanservice. Just a gritty serious toned space war with giant mechs and they waste no time establishing the tone by killing off like 3/4 of the people we get introduced to at the start by the end of the episode. Also, coming off Magesitc Prince it was refreshing to be able to actually follow all of the action too with the battle not moving 9 million miles a second. 

Last I knew Live Action Patlabor is going to be a movie.

On the flip side the live action Lupin III is getting decent revies so far. Its been #2 at th Japanese Box Office for the last 2 weeks and word is the cast is strong, especially Shun Oguri as Lupin and Meisa Kuroki as Fujiko

James

Last I knew Live Action Patlabor is going to be a movie.

It's a little confusing but after checking wiki I was able to make sense of it.

It's a series of 12 mini movies (around 48 min each) that are being released in theatres every couple months for short runs. They've aired the first 7 so far. 

After that a full length 2 hour movie will come out next year as the final to the storyline. 

On the flip side the live action Lupin III is getting decent revies so far.

Sweet, didn't know this even existed. Nice reminder that there's 9 million Lupin specials/movies/tv that I need to watch still. I was REALLY into the franchise a few years back but I started with & only watched the dubbed versions. Held out hope for a long time more would come out one day but i've given up on that dream now. 

I'm fairly certain almost all of the Lupin franchise has been subbed at this point. 

I was refering to the fact that i've only ever seen any of the Lupin stories that have been dubbed and was hoping there'd be more dubbed ones coming out but it never happened. 

So out of the 40 or so TV Specials/OVA/Movies i've seen I think 13 and if you combine the various TV Shows there's about 250 eps and i've only seen maybe 30 something of them. 

So still a shit ton i've not gotten around to seeing. 

The era of Lupin getting a dub is pretty much over - although there was a glimmer of hope with Funimation licensing The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and dubbing that. The Discotek release of Bye Bye Lady Liberty was dubbed, but only because of an existing one done by Manga UK. The upcoming Discotek release of Castle of Cagliostro will also have the Manga UK dub that wasn't included on any prior DVD, while their Mamo DVD release featured three English dubs for it. Shame it wasn't a Blu-Ray release, because they had to nix a planned commentary because of how much space all the dubs took up. Red vs. Green also had a commentary done that wound up being online-only. Napolean's Dictionary was just licensed by Discotek, and given how horrible it apparently is, hopefully they load it with extras and commentaries to make it a solid overall value.

Depends on the cast. The first half of the Funimation dubs were God-awful, but beyond the names being pronounced incorrectly, they got better later on, and basically had an all stars team for the Fujiko Mine show. The Geneon dub cast had the best overall chemistry and makes even bad episodes of the second series that were dubbed tolerable due to that, even if the performances lacked some subtlety found in the Funi dubs - probably due to the lip-flappy nature of the original animation. When dramatic moments were present, the case could do a good job - like in Lupin the Interred. Sonny Strait's a fine Lupin, but he comes off as arrogant at times, especially when defending the messed up names from the first run of Lupin stuff Funimation did in the Fujiko Mine extras. "Some fans thought we got the names wrong" - no, not some - YOU GOT THE NAMES WRONG. There was a proper way to pronounce them, and it wasn't the way the dub had them. It's not the worst thing on Earth, but A DECADE LATER, at least admit that the dub names were wrong. The vocal performances were largely good in them, which made it an easy flaw to look past.

The only Lupin dub that is really hard to get through would be the Fuma one. It's got a minor excuse originally being done in the early to mid '90s when 99% of dubs were shit, but it's still terrible. At least the Discotek release has a commentary track to make getting through it easier. The Manga UK dub of Bye Bye Liberty was also shockingly good, even if the kid is crazy-annoying in it roughly 100% of the time.

You never hear me say this:

Fuck NAS and Funimation.  I just watched the first, and only, episode of Attack on Titan Abridged, and haven't laughed that fucking hard in years.  Only episode because they got an C&D from Funi/NAS.  Fucking hell.

Well its odd, TeamFourStar did AoT Abridged, and Funi never went after them for DBZ Abridged.  I know 4Kids have gone after LittleKuriboh numerous times for YGO Abridged (either because 4Kids won't have competition in ripping off NAS, or that the Abridged version was superior to the actual dub) , but gave up due to him constantly reupping, and that he only does episodes every 6-8 months because he spends more time milking the first 20 episodes on the Con circuit instead of making more.

I think the problem with AoT Abridged is that its still airing the dub first round on CN, and they're *just* releasing the second arc on DVD in November, so it's probably a case of too early in relation to the dub, and that after everything's released, FourStar is clear to do what they want.

Tracking down the Abridged first episode is worth it for the Drill Sergeant doing the Full Metal Jacket routine, and for the Armored Titan doing his thing to Brock Lesnar's theme.

Glasslip's a slice-of-life anime about a group of 5 teenagers whose life is interrupted when another teenager moves into the neighborhood and disrupts the status quo, basically.  The main character seems to be able to see the future in limited spurts when she stares through glass.  The show started out good, but went off the deep end 3 or 4 episodes ago.

Just a little over half way through SPT Layzner and i'm digging the change of concept the show's gone through mid way in. The show started out in the vein of your traditional mech space war show and then in the 2nd half it seems to have morphed into Fist of the North Star with Giant Robots. 

You usually get an either or type of deal most of the time. You'll see an invading force come in and Earth "Hulks Up" at the end and defeats them. Or you'll see a post apocalyptic show joined AFTER the Earth is somehow fucked up and everyone is allready going all Mad Max.

Layzner gives us both with the refreshing twist of Earth failing to fight of the aliens and most of the population being killed off then continuing the story from there jumping forward 3 years in time.