DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

So yeah, that one scene was pretty horrifically violent (course, CrunchyRoll censored it, I think), couldn't see the bad stuff, but I could guess.  

I'm gonna guess that it gets worse when the roaches get involved.  Comments section of Ep 1 was already starting a dead pool.

I'm also gonna take a flyer on that it was censored because that first fight was a bear.  Its gonna be annoying if they do that with every instance.  I don't remember them editing Titan like that.

So yeah, that one scene was pretty horrifically violent (course, CrunchyRoll censored it, I think), couldn't see the bad stuff, but I could guess.  

I'm gonna guess that it gets worse when the roaches get involved.  Comments section of Ep 1 was already starting a dead pool.

I'm also gonna take a flyer on that it was censored because that first fight was a bear.  Its gonna be annoying if they do that with every instance.  I don't remember them editing Titan like that.

Honestly thinking about it AoT was the weird exception to the rule as I I want to say both CR and funimation have a tendency to air censored versions of shows when it come to sex and violence.

Hmm, the fansub I watched has the same.  Wouldn't shock me if that's how it was broadcast on Japanese TV.  And I don't see a broadcast of it on AT-X so I doubt there'd be an uncensored version.

Yeah they go off of whatever broadcast they pick up. Disappointing to hear there won't be an uncensored version any time soon. I did watch the show last night and found it interesting , but its going to get pretty damn annoying if they censor it that damn much. I recall Blood-C pulling similar shit when it aired.

Yeah, Terra Formars is not for the squimish.  

But right now, its censored enough that you don't see the horrific stuff.  That said, the censoring is enough that I might wait until the DVD's to keep going.

Fairy Tail Gripe:

So I'm almost caught up and am on Series 2 now.  I know they changed Animation Studios between Series, so the style is understandable . Only 3 characters that I see so far got changed enough to notice, although the new studio does that damn "line of the eyes and eyebrows visible underneath hair" thing that most Magna's do, but they were aiming for closer to the magna style, so whatever.

Its the damn music change.  I know the back-half of the Grand Magic Games arc is fucking dark as hell, especially for the tone of the anime thusfar, but they compeletly changed the music, even the music style, between Series, and it doesn't feel right.  Granted, they started incorproating the old-style music back in around episode 11, but its still lacking the character themes and overall theme that was prevealant in the first series.  

End of fights don't ring the same without that celtic rock audio cues.

Finished SPT Layzner TV 

I wouldn't quite cal it an all time classic but it was on it's way up until the show got cancelled and they had to rush the ending. Sucks too since I was enjoying the conquered earth arc more then the outer space one. It was a unique way to go out too since unlike a lot of other shows that have ended early they didn't scramble to re-write the plot but instead just crammed 12 episodes worth of shit into the final 2 so you end up jumping all over the place really quickly.

I just got the OAV series so will be interesting to see how much the exstended ending episode is able to change things. 

The biggest thing that they had to cut out, IMO, was the Layzner MkII

Yeah, they cut it so weirdly I didn't even notice it was a new Layzner myself, I just assumed they repaired the old one. Never would have known if I hadn't read the recap on Mahq.net

Just watched the debut of the GARO anime and was really surprised by how good it was. 

I allready had low exspectations going in and the feedback over at the tvnihon board was largely negative but I found myself disagreeing with most of it. 

I enjoyed the tone, think the medevil setting will be fun, liked the characters and except for one instance thought the art style worked a million times better in execution then the shitty way it came across in the still photos they'd released to hype it up. 

Entirely possible they can still fuck this up as time goes by but 1 ep in I give it an "A" and have high hopes going forward now.

Anyone else catch G no Reconguista yet? Three episodes in, and I'm kind of disappointed. I don't ind the lighter hearted feeling, but so far the writing isn't really there with Tomino not really explaining much and some nonsensical things happening.

Yeah, finally watched the first two episodes.  It really is typical modern Tomino storytelling.  I'll wait to see if the series develops a voice for itself, but right now it seems more like a sequel to Overman King Gainer mixed with Gundam.  I'm almost wondering if it would be better if Tomino had kept to the original idea when G-Reco was announced two years ago to keep it separate from the Gundam franchise.

I enjoyed Build Fighter Try a lot more, too.

I don't think it would have been any better had he kept it disconnected. The problem really is more Tomino himself.

I enjoyed Build Fighters Try more as well though that honestly doesn't surprise me considering how fun the first series was.

Modern (aka post-Victory Gundam) Tomino's a bit fascinating because of the varying quality of his work.  You've got the widely acclaimed (OKG), the mixed reviewed (Turn A, the Zeta movies) and the widely panned (Brain Powerd, Wings of Rean).  Other than Anno I'm not sure if there's any other big name in anime who's generated such a broad spectrum like that.

Other than Anno I'm not sure if there's any other big name in anime who's generated such a broad spectrum like that.

Hmm, that is an interesting question actually. A few names sprung to mind for a second but they fall more along the lines of great talent who's also made average works.  Can't really think of anyone who's made a significant amount of great content but also some genuinely awful shit too. 

From what I've seen online, most hardcore Gundam fans love Turn A.  Casual fans hate it with a passion, though.

Interesting, I like Turn A though I'm mixed on its actual quality.

Speaking of Gundam, we will be getting ZZ, Turn A, Origin, & G Recoguista over here. Sunrise is partnering with Right Stuff to release the other Gundam series in NA. Should make my older brother happy as he hasn't seen the series not released in NA yet.

Also Crunchyroll will eventually stream Terraformars uncensored though they haven't said when.