DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

So I'm trying to watch two shows at once. Started Sword Art Online and Fairy Tail. Both seem to be pretty good after a few episodes, both as eem to be missing that something that other shows like Soul Eater and Titan had that sucked me into marathon watching. Maybe I just need a couple more episodes.

Fairy Tail gets a lot better when they get into prolonged story arcs. I like it better than Soul Eater, and I liked Soul Eater a lot. But then I seem to have different anime tastes than most here. I couldn't get into Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online doesn't really interest me, whereas the best anime I've watched this year so far IMO has included Good Luck Girl, Kamisama Kiss, and season two of Haganai...

So at work while I was waiting for an assignment, I was browsing TVTropes because I was unwilling to commit to reading anything that requires commitment when I might have to drop it when someone comes up with something I can do that will justify my salary. And unless TVT is wrong or lying, Leiji Matsumoto illustrated Japanese releases of the works of Andre Norton and Michael Moorcock.

I NEED THESE THINGS NOW. CAPS ARE NOT ENOUGH TO ESTABLISH HOW MUCH I NEED THEM.

There was a long groundation and some other things but the 12 year old has finally finished Slayers Try. He is baffled that there wasn't another Slayers show for 15 years or whatever and concerned that they all still have the same japanese voices. 

We're going to hit another Gundam show first though. ZZ I think is next on the docket. 

Weirdly, this delay is putting him into the age that he can start watching some of the shows his mother has more fondness for, like InuYasha and Bleach.

Watched Harlock 2013. I have serious issues with it ("We only need one!" for starters. WHAT THE FUCK.) but by and large I found it to be okay. I think my expectations were so low from the bad press it got when it came out that I was pleasantly surprised that it was watchable but empty as opposed to kicking my soul in the junk. As ridiculous as the idea is that humanity could conquer the light barrier but never found a way to make crops sustainable on alien soil may be, it worked for me because it feels like the exact kind of ridiculous Matsumoto would use himself, rich in symbolism and operatic oomph. That said, though, this really didn't feel like a "Harlock story" to me. The antagonists felt wrong, Harlock's quest felt wrong, and Yattaran should definitely never be that hardcore. I'm less bothered by this version of his backstory than some people have been, but I don't love it. It bothered me, then it stopped bothering me but not to the extent that I actually like it.

I like the idea of a sad, tired universe with its clock running down and status quo enforcers who don't really get the consequences of their actions. I like the idea that for the whole first half of the movie Harlock is barely a character, more an implacable presence experienced through Logan, Kei and Yattaran until the volcano incident, when he finally starts to take center stage. The CGI is gorgeous and the space battles are amazing. But there are enough things that bug me as a long time fan of the franchise that I can't really recommend it. Also, the dub changed the names of several characters (most notably Yattaran, who becomes Yulian for some reason.) If the Arcadia crew had all been within the same archetypes, but it didn't have the Harlock name and iconography, I'd probably have liked it better than I do; I actually gave a mild recommendation on my Facebook page when I first finished it, then it bugged me more as I thought about it.

I signed up for a free trial of crunchyroll, and randomly picked a show from the popular section...

So, Love Stage is the weirdest goddamn thing I've watched in a long time.

So, after watching all 5 episodes to date...  Yeah, the weirdest goddamn thing.  I'm probably going to stick with it, but it really needs to lay off the sexual assault if it's going to actually try and sell me on the two (nominally straight male) leads becoming a couple.

Has anyone watched the "Netflix Original" Kinghts of Sirdona yet? Looks alright enough, I'm planning on watching it once I'm caught up on Fairy Tail and SAO. Just wanted to know of its worth it.

Detective Conan is near a hundred episodes ahead of One Piece and probably would be even moreso if they didn't skip a month or two worth of shows every year. Take a look here for the actual longest running shows.

Has anyone watched the "Netflix Original" Kinghts of Sirdona yet? Looks alright enough, I'm planning on watching it once I'm caught up on Fairy Tail and SAO. Just wanted to know of its worth it.

I concur with dogwelder, its worth a shot.

Decided to give Majestic Prince a shot, going to see how much I can power through over the week end

Ok so my plan to power though the whole series over a wk end didn't quite work out but i'm 11 eps in at this point. Show def falls into the catagory of good but not great for me. 

The good - when the show is in serious mode it's very well done, Good action and the story is well written by & large.

The part keeping it from being great - when the show is in non serious mode or trying to be comedic can be pretty bad. Atleast 75% of the non serious stuff is either not funny, un interesting or at times just plain annoying & dumb.

For some characters they're also sticking WAY too hard to their assigned stereo typical character traits. 

Tamaki is probably the worst example. She's really dumb & insanely boy crazy which is fine some of the time but others like the sceen where

it gets revealed that defectors from the other side have been helping them, their weapons are based on alien technology and the entire human race was created by these aliens so that they could be harvested for their genetic code.

which to me seems like kind of a big fucking deal and a rather serious moment but Tamaki is shitting up the sceen going "duhhhhh, what's going on? OMG look at that hot guy me likey likey, please mary me"

This is also one of those shows where i'd be interested to know who the original intended target demo was. 

It's too mature for kids but also a little too imature to be specifically aimed at adults either. 

Finished Majestic Prince, last few eps didn't do anything to change my opinion on it much either way. In the end I enjoyed it though, a solid "B" show but not something that will probably leave a long lasting impression. 

Not sure what i'll watch next

All the talk of Fairy Tail has me interested in that but that shit's almost 200 eps deep and still on going...

Just looking through my various hard drives, i've got WAY more shit on there than I thought that i've either started and not finished yet or haven't watched at all. Should probably start clearing out this list before I get any more new shit

Things I've started but not finished

Fist of the North Star

Go Lion

Galaxy Express

You're Under Arrest

Ranma 1/2

City Hunter

Things I haven't started

Mononoke (TV Show not the Ghibli movie)

Mister Hitman 

Welcome to NHK

5 Centimeters Per Second

Mermaid Forest

Blade & Soul

Queen's Blade

Wolf Children

His & Her Circumstances

Monkey Punch no Sekai

Tokimeki Tonight

A Letter to Momo

Comic Party Revolution

Queen Melinia first 10 eps

The First 13 eps of the original Casshan tv

Urusei Yatsura OAV series

Urusei Yatsura Movie #6

Fairy Tail is awesome. And a commitment. And a pain on the ass to find to watch. Netflix has up to 48 subbed and dubbed, Hulu has sporatic EPs dubbed and the first 150 subbed, and Crunchyroll has the entire run except for eps 13-49 subbed. So you gotta bounce around at some point.