DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

It's funny, I think this Harlock movie was like the Matsumoto-verse equivilant of GARO Yami wo Terasu. You take away the series creator and give it to someone else and it all falls to hell. 

The Harlock movie being mediocre has me just a worried as the CGI Saint Seiya movie

Don't know much about the Seiya franchise minus seeing a few eps as a kid, are the people they have wrtiting/directing this movie any good?

Don't know, series creator Masami Kurumada is notorious for having a very "hands on approach" for all seiay material, even for material he doesn't write. Seiya is one of those enduring franchises and some of the original cast have started dying off. I know I'm not exactly crazy about the character designs and armor

James

I know I'm not exactly crazy about the character designs and armor

I'll say, the characer re-designs was one of the things the Harlock film got right. Matsumoto isn't known for realistic art work so if you're going to go the "let's make it look like live action even though it's not" route I thought they were spot on with almost everyone except for Tochiro.

Tochiro actually got jiped in this one, about 30 secs of screen time, 1 min tops, no speaking lines and was basicly regulated to being nothing more then Harlocks' smart scientist buddy from the past who invented a few things.  

So, with Attack on Titan hitting Toonami, I went ahead and started it up on Netflix (subbed of course).  3 episodes in and I'm digging it so far, although I'm a little dissappointed at the 25 Episode length.

Doesn't AoT end with a cliffhanger and an assumed second season to come?

25 eps is just right for me.  I prefer shorter series with a definite ending to the shows like Bleach.  52 eps is ok.  I don't know that I've ever watching an anime and thought it needed more than 50 eps.  If I were to list 50 or 100 shows that I liked, only a couple - literally - went more than 50 eps.  Off the top of my head, only Monster, Ruroni Kenshin, and possibly Bleach would make the list.  All three of those could have been much shorter without losing much (Ruroni Kenshin could be reduced to the Kyoto Arc and the ovas and I wouldn't miss much.  I'd like Monster more if it was about 35% shorter).

How many eps of AoT are available on Netflix?  I'm too used to multitasking to enjoy subbed anime much anymore and it looks like Funimation is just releasing eps 1-13 in a box set this summer (I thought they were releasing all 26 eps, but that was apparently either a bad listing Amazon has since removed, or I just made a mistake).

Netflix has all 25 up, same as CrunchyRoll, but its all Subbed.  Dubbed probably won't be up until CN airs it, but then again Soul Eater was up fully dubbed on Netflix about 3 episodes into the CN run.  I saw Season 2 was supposed to happen, but I don't want to look around lest I spoil what I think is gonna happen (I'm only 6 eps in), and Netflix has it listed as Season 1.  CrunchyRoll will have it up when it starts airing if they do before Netflix.

EDIT: 7 Episodes in.  Mikasa might be the biggest badass ever drawn in an Anime.

Netflix has all 25 up, same as CrunchyRoll, but its all Subbed.  Dubbed probably won't be up until CN airs it, but then again Soul Eater was up fully dubbed on Netflix about 3 episodes into the CN run.  I saw Season 2 was supposed to happen, but I don't want to look around lest I spoil what I think is gonna happen (I'm only 6 eps in), and Netflix has it listed as Season 1.  CrunchyRoll will have it up when it starts airing if they do before Netflix.

EDIT: 7 Episodes in.  Mikasa might be the biggest badass ever drawn in an Anime.

You've never seen Hunter x Hunter then.

And AOT could end up going for a while still, the manga is still being written and it's not quite near the end.  Chapter 57 just came out recently, and these are pretty long chapters unlike Naruto or Bleach which comes out weekly, AOT is monthly so a chapter can last like a whole episode of the anime or more.  I'd compare it to Full Metal Alchemist, which was in the 50-60 episode range.  This could easily go 100+

Attack on Titan reminds me why I don't often watch anime I don't own, or can at least stream the entire series.  Watching one ep a week doesn't work for me.  It looks like AoT begins a nine-parter next week.  Yeah, I'm out.  Eps 1-13 will be on sale from Amazon in a few weeks.  I guess I'll buy the box and maybe stream the rest subbed.

Great show so far.  Really enjoyed the first four eps.  I've read spoilers for a lot of the eps, so I know about the

"rogue titan"

Not digging the idea, but we'll see how it plays out.

Yeah, a good portion of AoT is large, multi-part stuff, but its not really an "arc" per se.  AoT uses the "Part" thing to signify episodes taking place across a small stretch of time.  Like, the first 4 episodes took place over 5 years, the nine-parter takes place over 36 hours.  

Netflix and CrunchyRoll have it subbed, so I'd just bindge watch it.  I'm at Episode 19, and while I know its ending on a cliff-hanger, I don't know how they're wrapping as much stuff as they need to up in 6 more episodes.

And I think it was Episode 6 that Mikasa ascends into Ultimate Badass territory, so you at least have to search that out.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean I was dropping the show.  I'm wayyyyy too addicted for that.  Nah, just going to try to binge watch it.  Buy the boxset when it comes out, watch 14-26 subbed, then buy boxset 2 and rewatch it dubbed. 

I'm at Episode 19, and while I know its ending on a cliff-hanger, I don't know how they're wrapping as much stuff as they need to up in 6 more episodes.

They won't wrap a damn thing up as its still pretty early in, or at least was at the time.

Finished AoT, and sweet jesus was that fucking awesome.

Yeah, they don't wrap a damn thing up.  And now we're stuck with waiting til whenever for it to be progressed.

I think I wanna go and read the Manga, but I saw that they might go a different direction for the Anime (even thought he first season lined up perfectly).  If they're holding on so that the Anime doesn't outpace the manga like a couple other shows that went in a whole other, inferior, direction (I'm looking at you Soul Eater.)

That would be a bit surprising if they went in a different direction. Hopefully if they do it will come from the creator himself as I know the differences in the first season came from him.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I started re-watching Victory Gundam a week or two ago. I'm ten episodes in so far. I forgot that Chronicle Asher actually started out somewhat competent. He was still getting outdone by a kid, but he wasn't nearly the punk bitch I remember from later on. I also forgot how much the League Militaire were assholes more or less forcing Uso to fight for them and conform to their rules of fighting after realizing his talent. Shatki annoys me as she is a bit too whiny early on even though I can understand why. They took too much damn time in that one little area of Kasarelia early on. My biggest problem is still the lack of explanation of the general war. Where is the Federation? Who are the Zanscare Empire? Where do they hail from? How did they gain power so fast? Why the harsh level expansion? I'm sure there was a minor explanation of one of these, but nothing with any depth.

I don't remember there being much of one besides the general 'Victory Gundam is a mess because of Tomino's depression'.  I think the viewer is supposed to assume that the Federation has gone downhill based off of F91.  As for the Zanscare, they're just a new group of spacenoids who are trying to take over the Earth sphere.

I do wonder if Victory would be better if Tomino's state of mind of better.  But, really, other than the V2, there's not that much I liked about Victory.  And don't get me started on Shakti...

F91 had similar problems of explanations, but at least it had the excuse of being way too damn short. Really with what was shown of F91 you really aren't given enough to make such an assumption for Victory.

I think Victory would have definitely been better if Tomino was in a better state of mind. The potential is seemingly there. I actually like the suits in Victory so far. I recall some of the designs getting a bit weird, but its a nice contrast to the Zeon suits.

No idea what Sunrise's current viewpoint is, but as of a few years ago anything non-animated (i.e., video games, manga, etc) was considered non-canon unless something is referenced in one of the anime series (which means the original Advance of Zeta is considered canon (to the Zeta movies at least), at least some if not all of the SEED Astray manga is canon, etc).