DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Renewed my Netflix and decided to try out random series. First up was the first session of Psycho-Pass and it wasn't very good. I'm not all that big on authoritian dystopia stuff unless it's got something that can really grab my interest and this fell way short of it.

I might try to track down the manga and see if it's better than what was on the show.

• 1 month later...

Finished The Future Diary today.  Yeah, that was a ton of fun.  Easily the most I've enjoyed an anime in the past year year or two.  Well-paced, well-drawn characters, gonzo plot twists.  Not an all-time classic (lots of plot holes, really), but highly recommended.

That said, I'm not sure how to feel about the ending.  The show switches gears to "tragic love story" awfully fast.  Yuno even points out to Yuki that there's nothing unique about their relationship: she needed someone to obsess over and stalk, he needed someone to protect him,  Add in that the female lead is presented as a psychopath and the nominally more balanced male lead racks up an impressive body count, and......  Basically, he ending - the OVA especially - works hard to give the characters a happy ending they probably don't deserve.  I was more satisfied with the tv series' ending, which is bittersweet and vague,  Even that seemed a bit more hopeful than Yuki deserved.

Still, lotsa fun.

5D's was really good for the first 2 arcs, then Corporate Meddling, the Movie, and the lead female's voice actress having that severe morning sickness thing happen stalled it the hell out until the final 20 episodes, were it got *really* fucking good again until they got gunshy in the end.  But its worth checking out, if only until the end of the Dark Signers and the Arc Cradle finale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know its been a while since I watched 5D's.  I remembered the Dark Signers arc being good, but I forgot just how damn good it was.  If you're a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh at all, watch at least the first 64 Episodes.  

So the fiance and I were going through Hulu for anime and she decides to watch Rurouni Kenishin, which remains a favorite with me. BUT... holy crap this dub is terrible. I don't remember Media Blasters dub being this awful, I mean there are names that are ten shades of wrong (Yaihko is called Yoshi for same reason and Kaoru is Kori and Kenshin is Kenshi). Add to that the translation is just terrible

Dear lord, am I watching Samurai X?

James

So the second cour of Aldnoah ended this weekend.  Other than a little bit of a letdown with the ending (albeit it sets it up for a sequel), the second cour was SO much better than the first cour in terms of storytelling.

Haven't caught the final episode yet, but I agree with that statement. I actually liked most of the first season, but it wasn't remotely as good. There were these interesting ideas that were never as well written as they needed to be, and the two leads were lacking in strong direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Its new terminology.  Original Net Action.  Its the replacement of OVA, where the show is released directly on the Internet.

Least that's what Wiki and CrunchyRoll have told me.

2nd half of GARO was pretty disapointing compared to the 1st. It wasn't bad at all but except for the last 2 episodes and a few moments here and there it was pretty average and through the motions compared to the epicness of the 1st half. 

Also, you know you've run out of cool ideas when the big demon at the end is going to be powered by a cross of souls made out of FUCKING TETRIS PIECES 

snapshot20150411231023.jpg

Fucking SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally blanking on what i'll try to watch next after this. Too many shows i'd love to check out and less free time than ever. 

Edited by FLIK

ah, didn't know they kicked off the new season allready. I'll watch it of course but i'm in no rush on this one. Unless I hear blow away reports i'll prob wait until they're a ways in before I start on Goldstorm. 

Not knowing what it was at first I watched that clip and thought "that looks like some Go Nagai shit" before realising that it actually was. Surprised to know he's still out there kicking out new content still. Wish I could say the same for Leiji Matsumoto. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shocker for those who tried to wade through G-Reco:  Yoshiyuki Tomino Admits Story Problems in Gundam Reconguista

Yoshiyuki Tomino's latest anime, Gundam: Reconguista in G, has largely met with a hostile reception from fans, including being called "really bad" and hard to follow by former Studio Gainax president Toshio Okada and performing poorly in anime rankings compiled on Nico Nico Douga. In an interview published in the June edition of the manga magazine Gundam Ace, Tomino admitted to his errors, even saying "I'd only get 15 points out of 100."

By the end I honestly was in the opinion that G-Reco was easily the worst written Gundam series I have watched. I kind of still enjoyed it for some of the action and it at times entering so bad its kind of amusing. What surprises me is that Tomino actually admitted finally that it sucked. He was in some serious bs denial last year.