DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Remember about3 Boards ago, the Great DVDAR Greatest Anime Opening Polling?

So many great songs

The Inu Yasha Bracket (aka my own personal HELL!)

Gatchaman no Uta not even making the final 8?

BUT... we hada clear cut winner in the end.

I often wonder if such a Poll were to happen again if we'd still get the same result.

We'll never know I suppose

And The Winner Was: 

James

Doubt it would win again, as there's been so much stuff out since then, with awesome OP's.  

And I doubt there's enough of us watching Anime regularaly, even with how easy it is to get now, that we could run another tourny.

• 2 weeks later...

So, looking through the Crunchy Roll stuff and this new show God Eater caught my eye.

This appears to be what would happen if Attack on Titan and the Final Fantasy series had a baby with a little bit of Evangelion mixed in.  The result is gloriously badass and violent but not too violent show that has hooked me in with giant swords and super guns and shit.  Only 5 episodes in so far, so not hard to catch up on.

Interesting animation style though.  Monsters are CGI, and the characters are on the cel shaded side.  Odd contrast at times, but it works.

Last Week's Food Wars wrapped up B Block for The Fall Tournament. There were some great moments but the best was everyone forgetting that poor Tadokoro had not presented her curry dish to the judges panel.

A Block unloaded with most its heavy hitters, with the big one being Hayama, with the actual tasting reactions being saved for next week (the cliffhanger segment after the closing credits sets up Hayama). I assume next week will be Soma's turn and we'll see how he fares.

James

• Like 1

I watched the first couple of episodes of God Eater, and it was OK.  So this definitely makes me want to keep watching more.

I think my only main problem is that the main guy is your typical cipher anime lead.  I think that comes out of the fact that in the video game, the main character is meant to be the player.

Watched a bunch this weekend

Overlord - Watch the first episode and liked the premise enough to keep going. Seems like it will be goofy fun

DanPachi - An actual entertaining and goofy fantasy Harem Anime. I shotgunned episodes 1-6. I like the characters and the comedy is good. The action doesn't suck either.

There was no Food Wars last week so now I'm chomping at the bit for the next episode

James

Overlord has been good fun

Finished Gate & Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers over the weekend. Can't wait for January when Gate continues. Its reminiscent of Outbreak Company except more serious yet still just as fun. Rokka was interesting for turning out more a mystery for its season than an action fantasy. While I'm sure the hints were there I did feel the eventual reveal was somewhat bs as to confuse the audience they had at least one character completely acting in a manner that made no sense unless they were the traitor. Still a show I enjoyed overall.

Decided to finally give Space Adventure Cobra a try after having wanted to check it out for years. I started with the movie because that came out first but kind of wish I hadn't. It wasn't bad but it wasn't a great intro to the franchise either. Plot was kind of scattered and i'd have probably enjoyed things better if I had any sort of attachment to the characters before hand. Felt like a cross between a B level Lupin special and Crusher Joe.

Remember about3 Boards ago, the Great DVDAR Greatest Anime Opening Polling?

So many great songs

The Inu Yasha Bracket (aka my own personal HELL!)

Gatchaman no Uta not even making the final 8?

BUT... we hada clear cut winner in the end.

I often wonder if such a Poll were to happen again if we'd still get the same result.

We'll never know I suppose

And The Winner Was: 

James

On this subject, I have no clue why but for some strange reason I loved the heck of the Legend of Galactic Heroes Gaiden Part 1 opening. It's sappy, cheesey and isn't even close to giving an accurate idea of what the show is really like but I dug the heck out of this one 

Apparently episode 24 officially ends Season 1 of Food Wars as they wrap up the Autumn Tourney Prelims.

Not sure if the series is continuing next week or not, if not this was the most fun I've had watching a new series in awhile. It was fun, like REAL FUN!

Here is hoping there is more to come!

James

Apparent;y episode 13 aired today. I had read there were only 12 with the last episode an OVA, but given how episode 12 ended that would have been a shitty thing to do. Sub should be out within thenext 24-48 I would think

James

Any opinions on Noragami and Tokyo Ravens?  Thinking of picking up both now that they've been released in the US on DVD.  Basically decided to give Noragami a try.  More on the fence about Tokyo Ravens.  Heard enough good about it to be intrigued, also seen a few reviews that make it sound like there's a fair bit of lame comedy.  My tastes run more to Ghost in the Shell or Moribito so shows with a lot of fanservice or comedy generally aren't what I'm looking for.

For that matter, is Tokyo Ghoul any good?  It looks out there enough that I'm kinda interested, but anime horror generally isn't what I'm looking for either.  Haven't seen much in the way of actual reviews.

As long as it's better than G-Reco...

Honestly I don't see it having trouble there as long as the plot makes some level of sense.

Any opinions on Noragami and Tokyo Ravens?  Thinking of picking up both now that they've been released in the US on DVD.  Basically decided to give Noragami a try.  More on the fence about Tokyo Ravens.  Heard enough good about it to be intrigued, also seen a few reviews that make it sound like there's a fair bit of lame comedy.  My tastes run more to Ghost in the Shell or Moribito so shows with a lot of fanservice or comedy generally aren't what I'm looking for.

For that matter, is Tokyo Ghoul any good?  It looks out there enough that I'm kinda interested, but anime horror generally isn't what I'm looking for either.  Haven't seen much in the way of actual reviews.

Noragami was enjoyable. Tokyo Ravens was decent, seemed to improve as it went on though I won't say its anything great. I suggest checking some of it online if you can. Neither run along the lines of GITS or Moribito style or quality wise if I'm being completely honest. Tokyo Ghoul was interesting and has some decent drama. Its more definitely more on the serious side than Noragami & Tokyo Ravens.

Honestly I don't see it having trouble there as long as the plot makes some level of sense.

True, although we've had two mediocre to bad regular Gundam series in a row (AGE and G-Reco) so it's a bit worrisome.  At least IBO seems to have a good writer and director, so that's a positive.

True, although we've had two mediocre to bad regular Gundam series in a row (AGE and G-Reco) so it's a bit worrisome.  At least IBO seems to have a good writer and director, so that's a positive.

I'm not too worried. The writer/director combo seems decent, and the plot seems to be smaller & more focused than previous regular Gundam series.