DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Don't really watch anime but I have two friends who recommended Attack on Titan to me and after seeing the live-action movie trailer, I was interested in it big time.

I think it's pretty fucking fantastic stuff, and although I'm a novice in anime outside of the fringe/popular movies/series, I thought it was tremendous storytelling. I was completely immersed in it after a couple episodes. I have a feeling I know who the Colossal Titan is (one of two people), and I thought they ended the first series in a great way. Tremendous cliffhanger, and the epilogue gave me chills, especially with Erwin saying:

"We'll kill every Titan within these walls!" 

And then you see the Titan inside the wall itself and wonder just how much Erwin knows.

Armored Titan being modeled after Brock Lesnar is the greatest thing ever. Yes, the characters are whiny, but they're also teenagers/young adults being thrust into constant battles with seemingly unbeatable foes. It's also unfortunately a trope that gets overdone since the days of Eva/Gundam. Still, really enthralling stuff, never lets up. I'm all in for the second series. Interested to see what they do with the live action considering Levi won't really be involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the first two episodes of Your Lie in April but thankfully clicked on TV Tropes and saw that 

the blonde girl dies in the last episode

so that killed my interest.

Really liked Ben-To, a really fun parody of the fighting genre.  Moving onto Shimoneta right now.

Man, Fairy Tail *had* me this week.  

I've been digging the hell out of this arc so far.

That Wendy/Charle BFF montage was such a tearjerker I nearly forgot that

Doranbolt saves them at the last second

Yeah, I didn't read the manga, so with the montage, I thought they were pulling the trigger for a few seconds there, even after Wendy took 7 levels in badass.

Man, Fairy Tail *had* me this week.  

I've been digging the hell out of this arc so far.

That Wendy/Charle BFF montage was such a tearjerker I nearly forgot that

Doranbolt saves them at the last second

Yeah, I didn't read the manga, so with the montage, I thought they were pulling the trigger for a few seconds there, even after Wendy took 7 levels in badass.

It was the same for me as far as never having read the manga. That was probably the first time they got me worried about a main character potentially biting it in the show. I kept hoping for a Dornbolt save and was relieved when it came.

Just got through watching Tiger & Bunny: The Rising.

I can't help but feel a little let down.  Literally nothing regarding Ourobouros.  It was really just a filler plot with little in the way of actual development.  The drama with Fire Emblem's backstory was good though.  I feel like all the drama with Tiger was a rehash from late in the show's first run.

However, I still hope there will be a second season where the Ourobouros issue is addressed.  

Oh yeah, I thought it was a comedic show from the previews I saw, but I decided to give it a shot.  And most of the first episode seems like it.  Until you get to the end of the episode and find out that

Yuki's had a breakdown and is imagining everything's normal when the rest of the town and school is completely desolated

and it just keeps it up with each passing episode.

I'd say it's neither, really.  It's depressing because of the seemingly inevitable situation that the characters are in while

three of them try to keep up illusions that everything's fine and normal at school because of Yuki's mental condition.

It's not really morbid at all.

Caught the first two episodes. It definitely has my interest though I worry a bit about how depressing it will get as they can't keep the illusion alive forever. Now I really wish I watched the first episode month back when I was considering it. I normally watch the slice of life stuff during my lunch but skipped this one as I had enough on my plate at the time. It would have been quite the surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up on Dragon Ball Super since I finally found a reliable subber...

Holy shit, is Toei just going for the classic 80's-90's look, or have they just given up on animation quality, because damn.  What's worse is I watched Battle of the Gods, and it looked better.

OK, anyone watching Prison School right now?  This show is supposed to be like a satire right?  Like by putting Japanese high school high jinks in like an Oz prison setting?

I'm not sure what to make of it at the moment.  Some of its funny, and some of it is just so bat-shit insane.  

With this year's Toku offerings being... not very good, I've upped the anime queue. I'm late ot the party on Food Wars but how can I not love a show that combines Iron Chef, comedy AND h parodies hentai all at once?

James

• Like 1

I decided to give Gargantia a binge watch on Netflix, and I was pleasantly surprised.  Fantastic?  No, but very well done and watchable.  Great animation and artwork overall.  I really enjoyed the music and designs of the fleets, and a great character arc for the main hero.

It was sort of interesting to see a post-apocalyptic Earth that was kinda/sorta thriving.  OK, conditions are not great, but the human race is somehow surviving on a planet Earth that became completely submerged in water.  It's like the Ice Age ended, and more humans somehow survived and took refuge on lots of boats.  Now is it realistic that they can somehow have farms, raise cows and other animals on these boats for centuries?  I would say no, but I like how meticulous and built up this world was.

Favorite moment, Ledo going to a blacksmith shop to get BBQ sauce, and the blacksmith/alchemist lady treating it like she's giving him the sword of Grayskull.

Also, let me echo the love for Food Wars, a fantastic freaking show and literally my favorite show in a long while.  I am really hoping Toonami will pick up this show.

I'm now all caught up on Food Wars

I like that the secondary characters are getting a chance to shine during the Autumn Selection Exam and the curry battle is truly fun so far.

The worst part abotu this is having to wait for episode 22 when the Aldini brothers face off against each other!

James

Remember about3 Boards ago, the Great DVDAR Greatest Anime Opening Polling?

So many great songs

The Inu Yasha Bracket (aka my own personal HELL!)

Gatchaman no Uta not even making the final 8?

BUT... we hada clear cut winner in the end.

I often wonder if such a Poll were to happen again if we'd still get the same result.

We'll never know I suppose

And The Winner Was: 

James

I'm now all caught up on Food Wars

I like that the secondary characters are getting a chance to shine during the Autumn Selection Exam and the curry battle is truly fun so far.

The worst part abotu this is having to wait for episode 22 when the Aldini brothers face off against each other!

James

Its just half a day's wait.