DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Funimation sent me a Blu-ray set of Tokyo Ghoul.  I watched the first five or six episodes and it's already sort of losing me.  It's not terrible, but it's a hard plot to get into.  I might be a bastard, but honestly, I am constantly wanting to side with the CGC guys because I mean...the ghouls eat people!  Even the ones that aren't crazy about murdering and killing people still have to eat people.  Even the ones who are supposed to be the good guys aren't shy about being quick to murder people who know too much or whatever.

Yup, Charlotte turned out to be the most overhyped show of the summer season, if not for the entire year.

I found that show disappointing. It still had its moments for me so it wasn't a total loss, but the writing never did come together in decent enough manner.

Funimation sent me a Blu-ray set of Tokyo Ghoul.  I watched the first five or six episodes and it's already sort of losing me.  It's not terrible, but it's a hard plot to get into.  I might be a bastard, but honestly, I am constantly wanting to side with the CGC guys because I mean...the ghouls eat people!  Even the ones that aren't crazy about murdering and killing people still have to eat people.  Even the ones who are supposed to be the good guys aren't shy about being quick to murder people who know too much or whatever.

I find it hard to flat out side with any of the groups there. Almost no one in the show is truly a good person. The CGC have some vindictive motherfuckers who really are just as bad the worst of the ghouls.

Yup, Charlotte turned out to be the most overhyped show of the summer season, if not for the entire year.

I found that show disappointing. It still had its moments for me so it wasn't a total loss, but the writing never did come together in decent enough manner.

I find it hard to flat out side with any of the groups there. Almost no one in the show is truly a good person. The CGC have some vindictive motherfuckers who really are just as bad the worst of the ghouls.

Eh, so far, all the CGC guys are doing is preying on Ghouls, who eat innocent people.  At the start of the series you are introduced to a Ghoul binge eating a bunch of people.  Then she preys on an innocent young man and causes him to become a ghoul.  Nothing I've seen from the Ghouls really makes me want to side with them at all.  Isn't it justified to be vindictive against a bloodthirsty race of monsters, intelligent or not, that need to consume human flesh to survive and will go on binge rampages to do so?  Even the ones who are conflicted about it can't be Ghoul vegetarians.  They still HAVE to consume human flesh to survive.  If they don't, they go crazy and will then eat anything in sight.  There is no alternative for them other than human flesh.  They don't have some True Blood drink or blood vitamin supplements like Trinity Blood.

I'm also confused about what exactly Ghouls are.  Apparently they been around for centuries.  Humans are aware of them and know all about their physiology.  They know about their habits and know they live among humans.  Just saying, seems unrealistic that there aren't laws or regulations about them.  Personally, I see no way these two races can co-exist.  Humanity is their food source.

Also, the coffee thing is garbage.  Coffee is the only thing other than human flesh that they can consume.  No one explains this.  Seriously, was the original ghoul a caffeine addict?  Who the hell came up with this rule?

Not all ghouls go around hunting and eating innocent people. The main group in particular is feeding on already dead bodies. Besides I didn't necessarily say anything about siding with the ghouls. I just think you shouldn't ignore/excuse some the CGC being pretty fucked up themselves. Also as far as the coffee goes, its more the only other thing they can taste without getting sick. It doesn't actually provide sustenance. It still would have been nice to have an explanation as to the why.

And I watched the final episode of Gakkou Gurashi today, and it got dusty a couple of times.  I'm now tempted to read the manga to see how the story continues, even though I know it'll probably be even more depressing.

Finally finished this up last night. I definitely wish there was more of it coming soon. I think the manga is only a little ahead of thing though. The revelation as to what happened to Kei was just cold.

OK, Iron Blooded Orphans episode 1 is pretty good but let's see how this plays out after the first 4 episodes.

Am I crazy or is there no real stand-in for Char this time around?

James

Not all ghouls go around hunting and eating innocent people. The main group in particular is feeding on already dead bodies. Besides I didn't necessarily say anything about siding with the ghouls. I just think you shouldn't ignore/excuse some the CGC being pretty fucked up themselves. Also as far as the coffee goes, its more the only other thing they can taste without getting sick. It doesn't actually provide sustenance. It still would have been nice to have an explanation as to the why.

You see, I'm not sure I'm OK with consuming the dead bodies of already dead humans who happened to commit suicide anyway.  I mean...what if those people had families and will never find out what happened to their anguished loved ones?  

OK, Iron Blooded Orphans episode 1 is pretty good but let's see how this plays out after the first 4 episodes.

Am I crazy or is there no real stand-in for Char this time around?

James

That was much better than I expected. It & One-Punch Man have been the my favorites so far this new season.

You see, I'm not sure I'm OK with consuming the dead bodies of already dead humans who happened to commit suicide anyway.  I mean...what if those people had families and will never find out what happened to their anguished loved ones?  

Considering where they were it sounds like they never would have been found anyways sadly.

I wouldn't say Tokyo Ghoul is a bad show, it just loses me in a lot of its world building and various areas.  While a show like Gargantia really impresses me with all its various world building touches and generally gives strong explanations for all the crazy stuff that's going on.  

I will probably wait for Iron Blooded Orphans to get some more episodes before I dive in.  But I definitely like the look and design style for the show.  The new Gundam designs certainly look strong.

Also, can we get a second season of Buddy Complex?

Hard to believe considering it's one of my top 2 favorite anime series of all time but I only just now got around to FINALLY watching the uncut subbed version of Urusei Yatsura Beautiful Dreamer. I'd previously only seen the dubbed version that used to air on Sci Fi Channel back in the day. Always thought it was good but never as great as the hype. The subbed version is def even better but I still can't put it on the same pedistal others do. Maybe just not whacky enough which is what I love about the franchise most of all, dunno, can't put my finger on why I don't like it as much. To be the 1st, 3rd and 5th movies are all better. 

You and Rumiko Takahashi have something in common as it is rumored she hated Beautiful Dreamer and wasn't to keen on how Oshii was handling the TV series, leading his departure after the second year. I'm one of those that think Only You and Beautiful Dreamer are on equal footing. They seem to be Oshii's forgotten masterpieces these days as everyone looks to the Patlabor movies, GitS and Kerberos Panzer Jager. I know this much when it comes to the UY movies, I could never watch Lum The Forever and Always My Darling again and be totally happy.

James

I was perfectly fine with how he was handling the TV myself but yeah

Lum the Forever is def the worst of the bunch, Always my Darling I enjoyed for what it was and liked a lot in the end. 

Kerberos Panzer Jager i've never heard of, going to have to look up some info on that one. 

Also good reminder that I need to re-watch the Patlabor tv series sometime even though Oshii didn't direct that one. 

I still find it weird that Always My Darling was released as a double bill with the first Ranma 1/2 Movie (Battle At Nekoron China! A Battle To Defy The Rules!)). The Ranma movie was probably the epitome of what made Ranma great (as opposed to "Battle at Tongenkyo! Get Back The Brides" which I loathe).  

James

Ah, ok then yes, i've seen Jin Roh a few times. 

Ranma's a show I should probably give a re-watch to so see if my thoughts on it have changed. I made it to I think the 4th or 5th season before giving up. Mix of thinking it was too repetitive and finding a few of the characters annoying but that was many many years ago so maybe i'll think differently now.