DVDVR Message Board

Slammiversary XII

Main event was pretty good, better than Young-MVP would have been. Glad they tossed the escape rules and Young's counter to the brain buster was nice. Some slight screw ups here and there. Nasty bump through the door by Lashley, he looked good in this tossing Aries and Young around.

Why is Anderson the face? He beat up a drunk man and screw the Cowboys. Storm spewing beer on the Cowboys was kind if fun but then they jumped around in the ring. Not making Sportscenter right now with that.

EC3-Ray was good too but the ending sucked, it was almost the same setup as Sacrifice. Dixie stumbling into EC3's arms and getting KO'd was pure TNA sadly. It didn't reach the same levels as Wyatt-Cena and it wasn't actually a Texas Death Match, which kinda bummed me out. I expect in New York we get a Team 3D reunion, if they make it to next year they really need to put a AJ Styles or Jarrett type in their Hall of Fame, a TNA wrestler. Is Dixie actually going through a table though?

That Knockouts match, the less said the better. Terrible Russoriffic booking there and after Angelina took a nasty Irish whip into the stairs.

Von Erich's match was worked as well as it could have been. Big pop for Kevin Von Erich breaking out the Iron Claw. Hopefully they can beat the curse.

Lashley-Joe was meager. Joe is such junk right now, it's pitiful. Willow-Magnus was decent actually. Ladder match was a fun opener, glad Sanada retained though.

Overall it was a ok show. Too much interference in the final matches but at least they held off on anything screwy with the main event. Check out Young-Aries-Lashley and EC3-Ray. They need to deliver in New York though.

I only caught the second half of this show, and after the dreadful TV recently, this show had some extremely low expectations...

So surprise, surprise, it wasn't a bad show.  EC3/Bully Ray was an entertaining weapons match, and the angle at the end made sense considering they're saving the Dixie table bump for BFG, and the crowd was hot for the finish.

EY/Aries/Lashley was so much better than EY/MVP would have been. A bit short, but all action for 13 minutes. EY was really over to this crowd.

Storm/Anderson was fun, and it got the Cowboys involved which was the entire purpose anyway.

Von Erichs looked good, could've learned how to work a crowd better, but I don't think they teach you that in NOAH dojos.

Caught some of Willow/Magnus, good finish and Bram takes a great bump off punches. Magnus needs whatever heat he can grab at the moment, glad he went over.

I missed the rest of the stuff, I'll have to catch it later. Wanna catch the ladder match and Aries/King.

This PPV apparently made poor old Jim Ross question why he's been in the rasslin business for 40 years.

@JRsBBQ  ·  2h

So the Von Erich's return to the metroplex and win by DQ? This can't be true. I obviously no longer understand my 40 year vocation. WTH

I only saw the tail end of EC3/Bully Ray and the Cage matches. How can you have a Texas Death Match with no blood. Okay I get it, EC3 is a chickenshit heel. Him leaving with his face covered in blood would have made for such a great visual. Man I can't imagine them dragging out this whole Dixie through a table thing for another three or four months though.

I'm glad to see Eric Young won. I'd love to see a Young/Aries feud but I doubt that will happen. To his credit Lashley wasn't bad in the match. I was kinda hoping he was gonna win just to see the absolute venom the New York tapings would have been. It would have been on the ECW on Sci Fi from the Hammerstein times a billion if they walked Lashley in as champion (though I suppose theres still time for that).

I thought the show was pretty decent. The X division match was nuts with crazy bumps including Davey going neck first into the ladder. The show peaked with Kevin Von Erich though. He's better today than 90% of the TNA roster. I liked the main event too. Nice to see a clean finish in a main event. Magnus/Willow and the Anderson match sucked though. Dylan is right, Anderson is easily the worst guy in a "major" promotion these days.

The Von Erich Iron Claw! Love the huge pop, highlight of the night.

Pretty solid show overall with mostly good matches. Nothing was as great as stuff from the past 2 Slammiversarys like Gail/Taryn last year or Angle/Styles vs Bad Influence in 2012 but nothing too horrible here. Fun spotfest opener, that sunset bomb on the ladder from Manik to Davey was crazy. Thought Magnus/Willow was fun, surprised Magnus went over. Von Erichs/BroMans was a fine short showcase. Thought Jessie's pre-match mic work was entertaining. "Wearing white gear! that's tight" and of course Kevin Von Erich ended up the showstealer. Knockouts match ended up rather bizarre. Was hoping for EC3/Bully to be of the pin then ten count variety of the Texas Death Match but a pretty good brawl. EC3 came off like a star, loved the sea of "Trouble" signs for his entrance.. though the finish to the match felt kind of lacking. Good main event even though the outcome was never in doubt. Young/Aries would be a good Impact main event sometime soon. As much as I'd love to see another Aries reign, I don't know if he'll ever reach the greatness of 2012 again.

Love the crowd shot above, looks great. Maybe they should run TX more often, crowd seemed hot for most of the night and really into various parts of the show.

This PPV apparently made poor old Jim Ross question why he's been in the rasslin business for 40 years.

@JRsBBQ  ·  2h

So the Von Erich's return to the metroplex and win by DQ? This can't be true. I obviously no longer understand my 40 year vocation. WTH

I agree with JR on this one, but.... at least TNA put the Von Erichs over.  The WWE would probably have them do the job in Texas, hone state and all.

I didn't watch the Von Erich's match but I heard that they were pretty green and didn't look to be on the Bro Mans level.  If you are only going to use them for a one shot deal (which I don't know) then having them get the pin doesn't really make sense.   It isn't like they buried them as kevin really should get the final shine in all of this

They do that for TV as well. Kevin Von Erich's deal was so amazing - I feel like watching a WCCW doc later, or maybe some WCCW on the Network.

This was a real fun show top to bottom. I wasn't excited about this show at all after Thursday, but man did they show that they can still put on great shows. This was a faith-restoring show at a time when TNA definitely needed one - hopefully they can continue this momentum.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/06/tna-slammiversary-2014.html

Screens -

49a4a7333538866.jpg

c22cfc333538916.jpg

f6c3c3333538963.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/8q6jvkix44hipo83ew90sacvhk308feh

P8bIeKl.jpg

Texas always seems to give TNA some good-sized crowds.

Perceptions can be deceptive

BqNlUJyIYAArk4A.jpg

But compare this crowd to the one they had for Bound for Glory where it was empty all around.

And I thought the Von Erichs didn't look too bad. Some of their double team moves were pretty slick, but they definitely need some more in-ring experience. They're not super bland or anything and look like they can be built up into something useful in the tag division.

The ladder match was a fun spotfest. I keep hoping that during a Wolves matches someone will start chanting "Fight-ing Spir-it! Clap clap clapclapclap"

Or "Reee-Spect! Reee-Spect!"

Probably to save face for the Bro-Mans and allow the Von Erich's to still look good. How many teams does TNA have right now? I wonder if going forward we might see them return, working American crowds would help them as much as the NOAH dojo will.

Pretty fun PPV. TNA belong in Texas, in a nice way. 

The MVP injury is potentially troublesome, as it's tough for them to build to EY vs MVP at BFG for the title as usually the challenger would come from the BFG Series but a lot of that will be taped shortly. Maybe they'll junk the series, but that would be a pity.

Just scrap MVP-Young then. If they do the series this year they need to do it more condensed, last year it was an afterthought until late in the series. Maybe do only ten guys, not like they have a large roster anyways.