DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Not my words, the Bleacher report article said that Bynum would be a bargain free agent. IMO with his injury problems I don't know if any team would pick him up yet. I've read a few articles suggesting LeBron could be a Laker or return to Cleveland like this article here because of the new collective bargaining agreement and although Miami could pay the luxury tax he does have a player option to leave if he chooses. Its not far fetched to think that the Miami team could break up, look at how the Celtics are now without KG, Allen & Pierce and it will take some time for them to get the right players in again to make any sort of playoff challenge.  Plus D-Wade & Bosh have player options too so with the new agreement in place any or all might decide to leave and go where they will get higher paying contracts. Cavs have the cap space to sign him too so I wouldn't be surprised if the Heat don't make the finals this season that LeBron will leave & activate his player option and possibly go back to Cleveland and help them win a championship. 

Bynum's career is, in all likelihood, over in the NBA.  Besides, he hasn't been anywhere near "good" in 5 years. 

Everyone needs to stop with the "Lebron can make more money elsewhere" routine.  Lebron does not make the majority of his money off his NBA salary, he makes it off his endorsements and his clothing line.  What makes that possible is continued success on the court.

Don't ask where he can make the most money, ask where he can win the most championships. That's all he cares about in terms of the NBA.

Well, almost any team will contend as long as he's around.  He might not have gotten over the top in Cleveland, but he did got to the finals once, and have the best record in the association two or three times.  And he's been a better player the last few years than he was then.

But he is on pace to earn over a billion dollars in his career between salary and endorsements.  He is one of the few guys that could easily afford to take a little less money for the right situation, because god damn he better never manage to go fucking broke like some athletes have.

• Like 1

If Lebrons true goal is as many champinchips as he can get then he would smart to not seek a max deal any place he chooses

Well, true.  If he absolutely didn't care about the money at all (he does, by the way) then he signed with like OKC or San Antonio for the veteran minimum.  Which won't be happening. 

If Lebrons true goal is as many champinchips as he can get then he would smart to not seek a max deal any place he chooses

Well, true. If he absolutely didn't care about the money at all (he does, by the way) then he signed with like OKC or San Antonio for the veteran minimum. Which won't be happening.

And there isn't something between minimum and a max deal?

The NBA CBA is kinda weird, but as I understand it, he can't get nearly that much money.  Kobe could because of his previous salaries and staying with the same team, meaning he can keep getting X% raises on each contract, but because Lebron's current deal was signed on a new team after they started the max level deal thing, he can only get whatever the megamax is from Miami, and only the regular max from anyone else.

As we've seen so far, I don't think it's that big of an incentive to the star player.  The culture of "If you're not a champion, you're a bum" that the fans and media have created is making guys chase rings instead of trying to stay and build something.

I agree, I don't think it's that big of a deal anymore, but the league would love it if the top 5-7 players were spread between the top 3-4 markets.  I think that was the thought process with that part of the CBA.

Derrick Rose Pretty Sure He Just Tore ACL By Looking At Knee

CHICAGO—Noting that he immediately knew something was wrong, Bulls point guard Derrick Rose confirmed Friday that there’s a pretty good chance he just tore his ACL by casually glancing at his knee. “I was sitting down on the couch and absentmindedly looked down for a split second, and that’s when I heard a loud pop and was suddenly in excruciating pain,” said Rose, adding that he felt the ligament snap the moment his knee came into his line of sight. “I wasn’t even really looking at the knee, per se—my eyes just sort of passed over it, and then I felt it go. I should probably get an MRI just to be sure, but it’s already swelled to twice its normal size, so I’m pretty positive I tore it.” At press time, Rose had also reportedly torn his PCL and MCL after thinking the word “knee.”

http://onion.com/U0Dpox

• Like 4