DVDVR Message Board

I'm not really digging the current NTSF:SD:SUV rejects that make up the current cast.

I think the biggest problem with the show is that the cast all seems like they are the same people wearing different costumes.  I don't think the show has to be cast like a United Colors of Benetton commercial, but based on the cast I'd be willing to bet that S.H.I.E.L.D. would have the least diverse workforce in all of Manhattan.  They have one asian woman, one black guy(Nick Fury still works their right?) and 750 brunette white people.  It just rings false in a city that is only 40-some percent white, they even imported two brunettes from the UK. 

The first episode was decent, but it was mostly world building and set up, that hopefully pays off over the rest of the season.  I don't think they need to include existing Marvel characters for the show to be successful, but it would sure be nice.  The Heroes for Hire could be a recurring cameo, that could lead to a spin off.  I'll probably watch this entire show, even if it sucks, but hopefully it reaches its potential. 

It needs to get to season 2, just for How I Met Your Mother ending.  Get Agent Hill to be a semi-regular maybe, get guest spots from Aly and NPH... If it can maintain a decent chunk of that 11 million+ viewers from last night, it'll be fine.  But that's a big "if."

Demographics, man. I think networks are long past worrying about total ratings and just trying to win the money demos. Obviously the biggest one being the coveted males 18-49. I don't have the site open but I read where SHIELD did something like a 4.6 whereas DwTS only posts a 1.7. As long as it stays around a 4, it should be safe because there's no money to be made just hawking Tampons and Ex-Lax.Also, in addition to HIMYM ending, isn't this Bones last season as well? Boreanaz would make a fine Clay Quartermaine.

They've mentioned Project Pegasus, so I'd prefer Wendell Vaughn or the Guardsmen.

The pilot looked expensive, but in really stupid ways, like all the location filming.  Otherwise it seemed like a generic action movie spin-off where one of the stars shows up for the pilot to set up a new team and is never seen again.

I'm not a Whedon fan, but I'll stick around until it gets cancelled in the run up to Age of Ultron.

ETA: Keep Boreanaz and Fillion as far away from this as possible, they're both terrible hacks.

• Like 1

Early reports have Agents of SHIELD coming in 3rd last night with 12.2 million viewers. NCIS as the dominant winner with 20 million and The Voice coming in second with 14.4 million. I was genuinely surprised ot read that as I figured AoS would've surely gotten 2nd place. Still, those are numbers ABC will hopefully be happy with, now let's see if they grow the audience.

James

NCIS was the #1 rated scripted show last season and The Voice was the #1 reality/karaoke show so there is no shame in finishing third to either of them. I'm actually shocked ABC put it on Tuesday because that's by far the deadliest time slot in prime time.

Besides, like I said above, it's about the demos. The all-powerful 18-49 demo is all the advertisers care about. SHIELD did a 4.7, NCIS did a 3.6. Voice also did 4.7 (although I suspect it's more heavily female-leaning) so to the network suits, SHIELD won the night as far as young males (and most importantly advertisers) are concerned.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/09/25/tuesday-final-ratings-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-the-voice-the-goldbergs-chicago-fire-adjusted-down/204739/

I just realized one problem I had with the pilot for SHIELD.  They gave the big climactic monologue to a guy who (AFAIK) isn't even going to be on the show next week.  At this point, I'm more interested in seeing the "bad" guy than seeing any of the whitebread SHIELD borejobs.  Seems like they should have used the big dramatic finale to get you hooked on a regular character.

I was pretty intrigued when it seemed for a moment that Strong White Man actually shot the guy, since you'd have to wonder how that would play out with the team in future episodes.  But of course he shot him with a Get Out of Conundrum Free bullet, so who cares.

That many people are watching that fucking NCIS show??? Is it a Simon Donovan spin-off thing?

This is Cote de Pablo's (Ziva) last season, dude.  ABC's lucky that they're not murdering off Abby, the goth Forensics girl) otherwise no one would be watching the other networks.

That many people are watching that fucking NCIS show??? Is it a Simon Donovan spin-off thing?

This is Cote de Pablo's (Ziva) last season, dude.  ABC's lucky that they're not murdering off Abby, the goth Forensics girl) otherwise no one would be watching the other networks.

I thought they were only using the first couple episodes to write her character out? If so, that probably accounts for some of ratings bump not that NCIS isn't popular anyway. Kinda sad to see her go - not that I watch the show - but I remember seeing her in a play at my Alma mater CMU (that's Carnegie Mellon, sorry Michigan folks) so it was cool to say "I saw her back when..."

I just realized one problem I had with the pilot for SHIELD.  They gave the big climactic monologue to a guy who (AFAIK) isn't even going to be on the show next week. 

I'm sure Gunn or "Mike" will be back in future episodes. Otherwise they would've just taken him out. That's actually one of hallmarks of a Whedon show - guest stars eventually become regulars all the time.

Speaking of Mike, since he's obviously not Luke Cage or Nick Fury Jr, does anybody else think he might end up being another Marvel character? I've seen on other boards people speculating he'll eventually come back as either Rage or Deathlok.

Man, that would be awesome if he was Deathlok.

Well his name is Mike Petersen.  Apparently the only character in the MU who has that name is this guy:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/mpeterson.htm

Apparently some friend to this guy (Not Ghost Rider):

Posted Image

So he's definitely not Luke Cage.  Doubt he will be Rage either.

Dr. Franklin Hall aka Graviton will be in episode three

The ratings info was pretty much good across the board.  Extremely well watched for a drama debut, and massively well watched in the key demo.  The question is sustainability.  How many watch next week?  Or in 10 weeks?

How long before I need to sign a "Save S.H.I.E.L.D." petition?

• Like 1

I like the idea of a show as extremely high on Disney's priority list as it is would need a 'save SHIELD' petition after three weeks because you guys don't like Handsome White Sniper.

Show didn't blow me out of the water, but they planted a lot of fun seeds and it's got a lot of room to grow. 

SHIELD isn't going anywhere. Mourn the poor cast and crew losing their jobs on Lucky 7.