DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

Yeah I'm all over that. As fun as the Arkham games were initially, this aesthetic and gameplay style should be more engaging imo. And the Bruce Wayne design has rekindled my pipedream from years ago that John Hamm would play Batman in BvS

• 3 weeks later...

That Cloudburst tank battle sequence sure can kiss my ass. And this escaping from a giant drill stuff I'm stuck on now is right there with it. 

I generally didn't mind the Batmobile stuff too much, but this section of the game is just rotten with it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shane said:

That Cloudburst tank battle sequence sure can kiss my ass. And this escaping from a giant drill stuff I'm stuck on now is right there with it. 

I generally didn't mind the Batmobile stuff too much, but this section of the game is just rotten with it. 

I hated all that stuff the first time but the second time admittedly I didn't find it too bad as I had a better idea what I was doing. Cloudburst was still super difficult but no longer made me want to shatter my controller in a fit of rage.

Down to the last story mission, about 25 riddles (need to clear out the airship, AKHQ and 2 on Miagami I haven't been able to figure out) and a few more Azrael missions and I'm done.

Even with the frustration of Batmobile battles, I think this is my favorite of the series. The story is predictable, but generally well told and I've enjoyed having a mental sidekick, so to speak...

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2016 at 8:52 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Man. The character designs are so slick looking. Batman and Catwoman both look way better than their Arkham counterparts. Here's hoping we get more, either in this or a future installment.

To me, the Bruce Wayne character design looks like the father from a 1950's sitcom.

I kept waiting for Bruce to start smoking a pipe, put on a cardigan, and start lecturing The Beaver about how what he did was wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done minimum 2 playthroughs of every Arkham game (unless you count Blackgate) and Origins remains my favourite. Killer boss fights and probably the best story, honestly. I never found it any buggier than the rest so who knows?

So Arkham VR. If you have the $500+ in PSVR equipment, the game is $20, about one hour of playtime with Riddler stuff and unlockables in a second go. It's set between City and Knight which should tip off something about the premise.

(MAJOR plot spoilers for Arkham VR. Basically the whole thing less how it plays out. This is from a Let's Play-er who got an early copy and has captures of everything to verify it. So if you plan to play it and wanna go unsullied, pass. If you can't or won't buy like $600+ of hardware for a Batman game, go nuts)

IT'S ALL A DREAM! Nightwing and Robin both get murdered, Nightwing is particularly killed by Batman possessed by Joker, all of which sets up Bruce being desperate to stop that and keeping them at arm's length in Knight.

Apparently it more or less plays like a tech demo. Not exactly the dream swan song for Rocksteady but eh.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So the Telltale series finished up this week. Gotta say it was strong. They took some real chances with the story and delivered takes on the characters that were distinct and unique while still beijg recognizeable. Every change made sense and it was great. Lady Arkham was a great original villain too. Really just great delivery all around.

I ended up with a fairly merciful, compassionate Batman which fits since most of my favourite takes are the ones where he only uses the minimum amount of force needed and tries to help people where he can. 

Highly recommended now that it's complete. Has a lot of the signature Telltale crashing problems and I had a fun glitch where one enemy was just a floating pair of eyes, sometimes teeth, and a knife but the game is good enough that none of it's a terribly huge deal.

• 1 year later...