DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

Normally when playing the Batman games - I tend to do EVERYTHING but the main storyline first

But for some reason I feel like this game is all "Just finish the fucking story and then dick around"

Maybe it will open up in a minute - I mean I just met the Arkham Knight for the first time so I am not that far into it

Yeah, the side stuff opens up progressively as you do the main story.

I made it about 15% of my way through the game before I quit playing and traded it in for this very reason. I have zero interest in doing a skills course in a tank every step of the way.

It gets less annoying as you get better at it but yeah, the Batmobile and especially the tank battles are really a lot to put up with. I play it with my wife - we take turns - and were it not for her interest I would have given up with the quickness.

And wait until you're fighting tanks and annoying helicopter drones. It's the worst.

Agreed, there was no need for that many forced tank battles. Absolutely ridiculous, it really makes me wonder what Rocksteady was thinking. The novelty wore off so quickly of that stupid tagged on gimmick.

Other than that, the game is fantastic.

The over reliance of the Batmobile especially Battle Mode was my biggest concern about Batman: Arkham Knight from the start.

Is Batman: Arkham Knight the worst of the Rocksteady games or even the series if you wish to consider Batman: Arkham Origins?

All I know is that I have already realized that I am dumping all my points in Batmobile upgrades so far (well outside of maxing out my suits own armor)

But all these dudes I have run over or shot with the batmobile are totally not dead

Agreed, there was no need for that many forced tank battles. Absolutely ridiculous, it really makes me wonder what Rocksteady was thinking. The novelty wore off so quickly of that stupid tagged on gimmick.

Other than that, the game is fantastic.

The over reliance of the Batmobile especially Battle Mode was my biggest concern about Batman: Arkham Knight from the start.

Is Batman: Arkham Knight the worst of the Rocksteady games or even the series if you wish to consider Batman: Arkham Origins?

No Knight isn't the worst when considering Origins. Unpopular opinion, but I'd put it ahead of Asylum, but behind City. Asylum has it's charm, but does not stand the test of time as well as City in my opinion.

Gameplay wise Arkham Knight is pretty damn solid, tank battles notwithstanding. Say what you will, but driving the beast of a Batmobile never gets old (especially now with the BvS skin).

Although some mechanics are a bit OP such as the fear takedown or some of the upgrades later in the game, everything else just works. I got swerved multiple times in the story (I played it completely spoiler free), however after the Movie Studio sections the Arkham Knight's identity was a given.

• Like 1

If I hadn't already maxed out my armor and ballistic armor - I would be so fucking screwed on some of those predator sequences.

Often it's '"Oh shit! Fucked that up. Time to punch my way out of here!"

Last night I got stuck for like 30 minutes trying to save a firefighter who was surrounded by 4 Brutes. It is bullshit that fear takedown's don't work on them.

I remember now that one of the most frustrating parts of Arkham Knight was that it would give you mission markers for side quests that you couldn't actually do until later in the game. Super frustrating. As opposed to City where events trigger when it's time and give you a reasonably sized area to check out.

Basically it's amazing how much more fun City was than Knight despite Knight arguably having the same stuff as City and more. Minus boss fights I guess because City has Freeze, Ra's, and Joker+thugs as great ones with the Grundy and Clayface fights being solid stuff too.

Speaking of the two though, replaying City I can't help but wonder if Knight changed a lot. They seeded this epic with Scarecrow's revenge, Hush after Bruce Wayne, Azrael with a prophecy of doom, and a possible Joker baby. And while we got closure on all these things...

Scarecrow's revenge didn't feel like a Scarecrow plan AND didn't make use of his fear gas for fun stuff ala Asylum, Hush actually got less time in Knight than City, Azrael's ark just turned into another sidequest, and in Harley's Revenge the Joker's baby was revealed as a fakeout. Though in fairness, what they did instead with Joker was way better.

Generally though it felt like they were building this epic where Batman would be attacked on all sides and it just never really paid that off. Maybe I'd feel differently if those side missions didn't end in quick time events.

I picked this back up yesterday and got to where you deconstruct Oracle's crash. I've done some side stuff since then. I don't feel as frustrated and burned out by the formula as I did when I quit playing, but I am sure that's because I have not hit another Predator mission, and I am still annoyed by all of the Batmobile stuff.

Also, the Firefighter Most wanted deal can kiss my ass. I am trying to clear off Bleake Island while I'm there. I have 2 left, and I am not getting any kind of waypoint or batsignal (OVER HERE) beacon for the 5rh one. Plus the "distance from" thing keeps getting to about 90 and then increasing.

Twice it crashed doing riddler informant's

Once while reviewing security footage.

I don't think I have ever had to lock up during just regular game play

OH! and for the In the Line of Fire thing - one of them is underground. That could be the one that is giving you trouble.

When I wasn't getting notifications - I would just use detective vision to look for large groups of people 

Twice it crashed doing riddler informant's

Once while reviewing security footage.

I don't think I have ever had to lock up during just regular game play

OH! and for the In the Line of Fire thing - one of them is underground. That could be the one that is giving you trouble.

When I wasn't getting notifications - I would just use detective vision to look for large groups of people 

I had a glitch where my last guy for Predator mode was stuck in a column, and it was amusing watching him float between levels. Thankfully the game saved with only him left.

• Like 1

Well, I am just past the stuff in Scarecrow's apartment in Chinatown. I had a feeling that was coming, but I am still a little irked by how it was presented.

I will say that this game does a much better job of tying all of the side stuff and everything into the overarching story than Arkham City did. Arkham City felt a lot more scatterbrained in that regard to that point that even some of the story missions felt like filler.