DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man

Dolfan in NYC

Not really excited for the new movie.  Electro?  Really?  I know they don't wanna repeat all the villains who were already in the (comparatively superior) Sam Raimi films, but that's the best we can do?  What, was Hydro-Man busy washing his everything?  

I liked how they finally gave Spidey some decent wisecracks in Amazing Spider-man, but everything else was a step down from the previous films.  Focusing on the Dark Backstory about his parents and his Chosen Destiny absolutely RUINS one of the very best conceits about all of Stan Lee's finest 1960s stories: that anyone can become a superhero.  They're not born to do this stuff, it happened TO them, often by accident.  And focusing on his angst over his missing parents takes a lot of the impact away from the entire Uncle Ben tragedy, because it feels like he shouldn't feel so focused on that if he was already obsessed with another missing father figure.  

Also, the lead actor looks WAY too handsome and cool (he rides a skateboard! he has Twilight hair!) to possibly be the sort of dorky outcast that forms the entire core of Peter Parker's soul.  

Also also: buying the web shooters on Ebay was fucking stupid.  Gimme the organic versions over that oh-so-convenient bullshit any day, or just let him build the damn things himself, he is supposed to be a science whiz.  

One more also: Rhys Ifans' performance was fine, but a lot of the Lizard's CGI was half-assed and the facial design was all wrong.  Finally, it sure as hell didn't help that his exact same character arc was already done before and done better with Doc Ock in Spider-man 2.  

I have to think very hard about what is better about the last trilogy. Garfield is better than Tobey. Emma Stone is a better actress than Dunst. Web Shooters made for more interesting fight scenes and showed off Peter's brilliance. Garfield was cracking jokes and doing Spidey things while Tobey danced.

I have to think very hard about what is better about the last trilogy. Garfield is better than Tobey. Emma Stone is a better actress than Dunst. Web Shooters made for more interesting fight scenes and showed off Peter's brilliance. Garfield was cracking jokes and doing Spidey things while Tobey danced.

Alfred Molina is the best performance of any Marvel villain, aside from Sir Ian McKellen.

Yeah, Spider-Man is probably my favorite superhero, but it's going to be tough selling the general public on Electro being a big time villain even with Jamie Foxx in the role

I think Andrew Garfield is a good Peter Parker though.  I enjoyed him in the role more than Tobey Maguire.

I agree about Garfield/Stone both being better than Maguire/Dunst (worlds better) and I like the web shooters too. But the trilogy did have 2 excellent villains (Dafoe's Green Goblin and Molina's Doc Ock) while the reboot had a so-so villain.

Alfred Molina is the best performance of any Marvel villain, aside from Sir Ian McKellen.

I prefer Hiddleston's Loki by a good margin. Also prefer Dafoe's Norman Osborn/Green Goblin. I thought Molina did well in his role, but I wasn't the biggest fan of how Raimi did Doc Ock in general.

I think the first trilogy got the origin story a lot better.  How Peter got bit, the updated "Crusher Hogan" schtick w/Bonesaw McGraw", how Uncle Ben died, they way they portrayed the theme of "With Great Power..." in the first two flicks...  they got all that stuff PERFECT in the first trilogy

• Like 2

I actually like the modern twist on Uncle Ben's death in The Amazing Spiderman.  I can kind of understand why some would say his death scene is too gritty and/or Batman-lite for a Spider-Man movie, but I thought it was a decent update on it.  It still maintained the "great responsibility" moral.

They just wanted to get rid of the carny wrestling plot anyway.

Not really excited for the new movie.  Electro?  Really?  I know they don't wanna repeat all the villains who were already in the (comparatively superior) Sam Raimi films, but that's the best we can do?  What, was Hydro-Man busy washing his everything?  

You act as if they picked a minor scrub like, say, "The Spot" and based a movie around him as the villain.  Electro has ALWAYS been one of Spider-Man's main foes, and a founding member of the Sinister Six.  He's top tier.

• Like 1

I rarely read behind-the-scenes stuff, especially before I see a movie.  So I knew little about Amazing Spider-Man going in.  But as I was watching it, it seemed to me that they changed around the story a good bit during the making.  Stuff was muddled and weird, especially around his parents. 

I also didn't like that they had to compound coincidence upon coincidence in order to get Parker into the room with the radioactive spiders.  Then there was nothing special about the particular spider that bit him, was there?  Would anybody who got bit by any of those spiders also become Spider powered?

Anyway, I just got the feeling that this was a movie that was significantly changed in editing.  It didn't come off like a cohesive film to me.  And after seeing it, I read articles like this which seem to confirm my hunch.

All that said, I still liked it better than Raimi 3.  But I liked Raimi 1 and 2 much better.

• 3 weeks later...

All the talk about how a guy in a bright green and yellow suit with a big electric shock on his head would look silly... and I fail to see how that is better than any of the cosplay convention suits I've seen. Let alone a variation of that costume that has an actual Hollywood budget behind it.

So a friend of mine is playing a cop in this movie (Spoiler -- he dies).   But the other MUCH bigger spoiler is:

he's killed by the Green Goblin at the end of the movie.

I finally got around to seeing The Amazing Spider-Man today and once they finally pulled the trigger on killing Uncle Ben the movie was really quite enjoyable. I liked it a lot more than I did the original Spider-Man movie with Toby Maguire. I was surprised to see C. Thomas Howell pop up.