DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: MIKE QUACKENBUSH

RIPPA

In honor of... I guess you could call it the Chikara restart.

Trying to find non-Chikara stuff on youtube is a little bit of a chore. Stupid internet

FInding this clip made me feel a 1000 years old

I've got nothing bad to say about Quack. I've only met him once and it was at a MA show (I'm pretty sure the one I went to during the Eddy Guerrero indy tour in 02) and he worked the first match and sold his book and had a good little match against a local indy guy and then was a total class act in talking to him. Now, I admit that was ages ago, 

The Quackendriver is probably my favorite stupid indy move. 

I actually love the evolution into Chikara Man of a Billion Holds Quackenbush and I also love the whole sub-metaplot about how the Chikara Special should only be used by the forces of good. 

Also, Mike's regular busting out of the Cerebro Lock was fucking awesome.

That being said, I think his best matches were on ECWA era cards..  His stuff with Reckless Youth was insane.  I probably think that way since I am a mark for Southern booking and any match that cut into a ninety minute Cheetah Master intro was a good one.

Quack vs. Super Dragon at the Rev J 2002:

I think that was the first and only time that Mike and SD worked together. 

A solid match, but I dug Quack's first round draw against Joey Ryan better.

Is the quack vs santo match from fwa online anywhere?

I first met quack in 98 or 99 when he worked for mcw. He still used ligers theme and wore that red outfit.

Fun fact: i was going to give quack my isdn numbera for him to use on his book, but he ended up bying his own.

One thing I always liked about Quack was that he seemed to be having a good time with wrestling.  I remember during (I think) one of the Shane Shamrock Cups the ropes were just awfully, ridiculously loose for the whole show.  When it came time for his match Quack stomped down to the ring and did the Diesel 'step over the top' entrance, and then busted out into a huge grin.

Match-wise he, Reckless Youth, and Minoru Fujita had a great 3-way spotfest on a JAPW show sometime in 2001.

For all the negativity and backlash surrounding the recent Chikara ARG, I have to say I still love the way Quack's mind works.

Yes, there's the whole Aspergers thing...so what? He can construct huge angles with whats perceived to be minimal thought, with multiple twists and turns.

As for his wrestling, a bit formulaic if you've see his best of comps...but highly entertaining, and like nothing you've seen on exclusively WWE TV before. An acquired taste but I find him really personable and enjoyable to watch.

Quack is one of my favorite wrestlers. I think my favorite singles match opponent of his has to be Claudio Castagnoli. They've pretty much fought each other everywhere, Chikara, CZW, IWA Mid-South, wXw and every match I've seen between them has been great.

Hey, I just found two I haven't seen before. I think I'm going to watch those right now.

From my limited interaction with Mike Quackenbush, he was a real enthusiastic guy.  This was the first Chikara show in NC.  After the matches he hung around and talked to the fans, he even let a little kid in the ring and showed off how to take a back bump and hitting the ropes

Quack's an interesting figure for sure. Yeah, the whole "we're closing Chikara but we're going to come up with a bullshit reason and try to get over 7 Wrestling Is promotions that make the NWA look like, the NWA" in hindsight was really fucking stupid. We're going to work our Chikarmy into doing dumb scavenger hunts only to retcon the whole fucking thing is even more stupid.

Oh, and closing Chikara for the most part killed my interest and any potential financial support of independent wrestling.

But for as much as he is aggravating, he gives us King of Trios 2011 with 1-2-3 Kid vs El Generico. He gives us the epic 2012 King of Trios final. He brought Chikara to Chicago proper and put on some great shows. I've met some good friends of

mine at Chikara shows. He brought in the likes of Manami Toyota, Johnny Saint, Skayde and countless other international stars. He understands that wrestling can be wacky and fun and doesn't have to be one particular style.

I guess Mike Quackenbush is the Indy wrestling equivalent of "battered wife syndrome" with fans of his and his promotion.

As for Quack/Santo, I could have swore I either saw it on YouTube or downloaded it many years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

For folks who want to seek them out - Quack has been making the rounds this week doing interviews.

I know he did one yesterday with Alvarez and the day before with Torch.

Just not sure what is subscriber only and what is free for all

I just wanna hear the Jenny McCarthy bit.

That wasn't Quack. You have terrible listening skills

-- Video of former WWE star Romeo Roselli in bed with Jenny McCarthy. I'm not making this up. Click here.

I just wanna hear the Jenny McCarthy bit.

That wasn't Quack. You have terrible listening skills

-- Video of former WWE star Romeo Roselli in bed with Jenny McCarthy. I'm not making this up. Click here.

I considered reporting this post with the caption "Rippa is bullying me", but if another admin saw it first, he might not have thought it was as funny.

Quack has been one of my favorite wrestlers for over 10 years and his contributions via training and promoting probably surpass what he's done in the ring.  The whole Chikara situation never rubbed me the wrong way.  As much as people kvetch about kayfabe being dead this is a good example of someone actually trying to uphold it out of a difficult situation.

Quack rules. Period. I really liked a live match I saw between him and Eddie Kingston -- I think it was for the first Chikara singles title but don't hold it against me. It was in Philly. He did some good subtle heeling since most of the crowd was behind Kingston.  Super fun match.

I loved the last Chikara angle. I'm not a member of the Chikarmy or anything like that but I am definitely a fan. The guy just tried to completely expand what pro wrestling can do in terms of being performance art -- which wrestling is. It's definitely not for everyone's tastes but I admire him inventing new flavors. The guy really pushed a lot of envelopes and I'll always tip my cap to someone who really tries to move an art form into a new direction like he just did with Chikara.

I love that he takes his promotion and its universe and its continuity really seriously but at the same time also will throw in some goofy stuff like a time travel b-plot that ends with a Delorean showing up to a wrestling arena.