DVDVR Message Board

WWE turning popular heels into intolerable babyfaces

So what exactly was the last good babyface character that the WWE have booked/written? Have they just forgotten how to do compelling good guys?

And if so, what's at fault? The people writing shows? The fact wrestlers aren't free to adlib their promos (more or less) like when Austin & The Rock got over huge? Is it the fault of the Attitude era changing what a babyface is?

The fact wrestlers aren't free to adlib their promos (more or less) like when Austin & The Rock got over huge?

Remember some of those early seasons of NXT on Sci-Fi? That pretty much killed any ad-libbing in WWE promos not done by established vets.

You don't think Curtis Axel would be more over if they let him ad-lib more promos on live TV?

• Like 1

The fact wrestlers aren't free to adlib their promos (more or less) like when Austin & The Rock got over huge?

Remember some of those early seasons of NXT on Sci-Fi? That pretty much killed any ad-libbing in WWE promos not done by established vets.

You don't think Curtis Axel would be more over if they let him ad-lib more promos on live TV?

He'd probably get over in the wrong way with how comically shitty they'd be.

Anyone got any clips of when Hogan returns to the WWF for the first time as a babyface before taking the title from the Shiek? I vaguely recall an early Coliseum video on the subject, and thinking it was a pretty weakly explained turn.

They generally got it right in the 80s. Piper, Bossman, Jake, Savage.

Orndorff the exception to the rule.

Short answer is that it is easier to get over as a heel than as a face.  The heel gets to be more proactive, generally gets to do more of offense in a match, and gets to say cool stuff.  The faces are usually reactive and sell programs by getting their asses kicked for 75 % of the time.  So you have a lot of guys who can only get over as heels trying on the face role to see if they are one of those rare birds.  Some guys are good at it and some can't make the transition.  R Truth can't call the crowd racist and still be a face.  It don't work.  Miz can't for the life of him not be a raging douche.  

This is also what makes Kofi Kingston valuable to a company as he comes in and almost immediately can start selling.  

• Like 3

Have you ever heard anything Curtis Axel has ever done that made you go "Why yes, this guy SHOULD have free reign"? Because I haven't. 

His best stuff was in NXT during his feud with Tyson Kidd about Tyson not being a second generation wrestler.  It was pretty effective but I would have no idea where it came from whether him or creative.

Maybe they'd get better if they were able to do it a little more often than just on one show? I mean not everybody would be good at it, but it always seemed weird to me that that was something they did on those NXT shows when it would have no bearing on their future WWE career. Yeah, the beginning of the Genesis of McGuillicutty was terrible, but it also doesn't really seem a convincing argument to just never have adlibbed promos. People tend to suck at things they are unfamiliar with. Was Austin a killer promo from day one? No. I mean he probably wasn't quite as bad as that notorious Curtis Axel promo either but the point remains I think.

And I'm not saying "adlibbed promos would instantly get every face over way more than they are right now." I just wondered if that was a small thing that contributes to the fact that the WWE are actively bad at making compelling faces these days.

• Like 1

Maybe they'd get better if they were able to do it a little more often than just on one show? I mean not everybody would be good at it, but it always seemed weird to me that that was something they did on those NXT shows when it would have no bearing on their future WWE career. Yeah, the beginning of the Genesis of McGuillicutty was terrible, but it also doesn't really seem a convincing argument to just never have adlibbed promos. People tend to suck at things they are unfamiliar with. Was Austin a killer promo from day one? No. I mean he probably wasn't quite as bad as that notorious Curtis Axel promo either but the point remains I think.

And I'm not saying "adlibbed promos would instantly get every face over way more than they are right now." I just wondered if that was a small thing that contributes to the fact that the WWE are actively bad at making compelling faces these days.

Also for a while, NXT seemed to be built around 'we want you to look like assholes and you will always fail. did you shake everyone's hand backstage? you did? you look like a kiss ass. go cut a promo about undershirts.'

There are a lot of babyfaces that have failed in WWE history. John Cena is not one of them.

This thread isn't about failing persay, but about taking a popular heel (which Cena was), and turning him into an intolerable face, which he most certainly was from shortly after his turn until, IMO, the Umaga feud. He still has his moments, like building up big matches as MUST MUST MUST WIN then coming out as if nothing happened the next night on RAW if he loses.

• Like 1

I'll take a shitty promo with a guy falling flat on his face over a guy repeating some lines.  There's a certain charm in that and adds to the realism.  Not everyone in life is a good talker or always has something witty to say.  Some people get better at it and watching their progression is cool.  When everything's a little too polished it makes it pretty hard to get all that invested in the show. 

It also must help a wrestler become more deeply invested in his own persona and flesh it out to be something more well rounded if he has to spend hours obsessing over his promo.  It allows him to get into that mindset of "what would my character say here?  why would he say this?  how would he respond if his opponent says this?" 

• Like 3

I'll take a shitty promo with a guy falling flat on his face over a guy repeating some lines.  There's a certain charm in that and adds to the realism.  Not everyone in life is a good talker or always has something witty to say.  Some people get better at it and watching their progression is cool.  When everything's a little too polished it makes it pretty hard to get all that invested in the show. 

It also must help a wrestler become more deeply invested in his own persona and flesh it out to be something more well rounded if he has to spend hours obsessing over his promo.  It allows him to get into that mindset of "what would my character say here?  why would he say this?  how would he respond if his opponent says this?" 

deaw9.jpg

All the writing, all the preparation and practice make for a safe, steady and incredibly average end game. It's so difficult to deliver a passionate speech when the words aren't yours, you've rehearsed it twenty five times, and you don't believe in it. The highs and lows are so much fun to watch. I think most of us can agree Terry Funk is one of the best talkers in the history of the game but he flubbed stuff up all the time. it became a part of his character. As a heel, he was fucking wild and reckless, and as a face he was honest and rough around the edges. It's part of what made Terry Terry.

WWE hires a lot of reality tv writers right? I feel like some of creative's decisions are based upon feeding untrained actors lines. I wish they would let at least some of the roster go out there and just speak. Ryback unleashed would be far more entertaining than whatever tough guy lines they feed him now.

WWE hires a lot of reality tv writers right? I feel like some of creative's decisions are based upon feeding untrained actors lines. I wish they would let at least some of the roster go out there and just speak. Ryback unleashed would be far more entertaining than whatever tough guy lines they feed him now.

Judging by his Twitter, you're right.

All the writing, all the preparation and practice make for a safe, steady and incredibly average end game. It's so difficult to deliver a passionate speech when the words aren't yours, you've rehearsed it twenty five times, and you don't believe in it.

Plenty of politicians pull it off.