DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: MR. GANNOSUKE

RIPPA

Our week of Mr.'s ends with the wonderful Mr. Gannosuke.

BAHU did the heavy lifting already so I strongly suggest you read that

PART ONE

PART TWO

PART THREE

PART FOUR

I can't seem to find the Hayabusa/Gannosuke 9th Anniversary Show match that made the Best of the 90s so here is the match where Shawn Michaels was ref. (Though I can't find the original Japanese version online this version isn't to to bad. The video also provides a recap of the feud).

http://youtu.be/v4Q7GlfFHFM

God the whole H/Hayabusa stuff was infuriating when doing the 500.

• Like 2

Finally found my favorite Gannosuke match on the YouTubes.  Thank God for our Spanish speaking brothers to the south.

Gannosuke vs. Hayabusa for the World Brass Knucks title (30 April 1998)

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDS_5nTXSZg

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IByujhodkJg

The heel arm work is Anderson Brothers level of sweet, especially the 10:10 mark of Part 1 where Gannosuke fucking running bulldogs Hayabusa right on his shoulder.

Gannosuke is your personal wrestling Jesus.

• Like 1

I am SO MAD that Gannosuke/Shinzaki isn't in full. Shinzaki actually comes off like an amazing (and likely concussed) underdog and busts out all his best moves. Truly great match and maybe the best FMW match ever. At least in the top three. 

Also, the fact that Team No Respect doesn't have a complete Youtube video of all their entrances is criminal

God - when thinking up my list I never once thought of Mr. Pogo. I am full of shame.

Well as mentioned in the Mr. Niebla thread - there is Mr. Mexico

There is, of course, Mr. Wrestling II

Mr. Hoy

Mr. Tempest

Mr. Condor

They were all regulars on the 500s

Also making 500s at some point where - I have no fucking clue who they were

Mr. Insanity

Mr. Excitement

Mr. X (he I know at least worked K-Dojo)

There have to be multiple Mr. Xs. Or Dr. Xs, at least. 

I will combine a wrestler salute and a thread hijack in one by posting my favorite Mr. Pogo match now. Granted, it's all Matsunaga dying horribly, but I'm not digging up old PR matches right now and this looks more dangerous and at the same time simpler than any CZW garbage epic ever performed. 

Mr. Insanity was Toby Klein, Mr. Excitement is a SoCal indy goof and K-Dojo had a team of 3 Mr. X's at one point. One of them was Boso Boy Raito, another was the current Madoka, but I'm not sure who the original was. Seems to be this guy who could be any random Japanese dude.

profile_mrx.jpg

I remember back around 2000 or so I was perusing the wrestling tapes in the basement indy video store next to campus and found an FMW tape that looked promising.  The match listing and everything else was in Japanese but it did advertise some ECW guys on the show.  Hayabusa was also one of the guys pictured on the box and at that time I was watching as much of his stuff as I could.  The show was initially disappointing as the ECW matches just amounted to Dreamer vs Douglas and a mediocre Sabu/RVD vs Dudleys match.  The rest of the show was an 8 man tournament called "Over the Top" and Hayabusa lost to Ooya in the first round.  Gannosuke was also in the tournament and it was my first time seeing him.  He wasn't that impressive of a physical specimen but damned if he didn't win me over with his skills.  I found the whole show, 3 matches of his are on here-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQV971F6B8E

First time I saw Gannosuke was in the King of the Death Match tournament and to be honest, I didn't think that much of him.  When I bought my first comp tape (Best of Hayabusa), Gannosuke was all over it and man, did he rule.  Besides Rikishi, he had the best Square Driver I had seen.

I remember back around 2000 or so I was perusing the wrestling tapes in the basement indy video store next to campus and found an FMW tape that looked promising.  The match listing and everything else was in Japanese but it did advertise some ECW guys on the show.  Hayabusa was also one of the guys pictured on the box and at that time I was watching as much of his stuff as I could.  The show was initially disappointing as the ECW matches just amounted to Dreamer vs Douglas and a mediocre Sabu/RVD vs Dudleys match.  The rest of the show was an 8 man tournament called "Over the Top" and Hayabusa lost to Ooya in the first round.  Gannosuke was also in the tournament and it was my first time seeing him.  He wasn't that impressive of a physical specimen but damned if he didn't win me over with his skills.  I found the whole show, 3 matches of his are on here-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQV971F6B8E

I'd HIGHLY reccomend anyone who watches & enjoys this to track down the tv version so you can get the full complete matches. 

The Gannosuke vs Oya match might be my pick both guys best match ever.

In full it's about 25 mins but the version in the above video appears to be only 8 or 9 mins and it cuts out the awesome begining which is probably the best stretch of opening mat work i've seen in any match ever.