DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Another Netflix documentary:

The Last Gladiators - Documentary on the great NHL enforcers and fighters of the 1980s and 1990s, with 90% of the movie being the life and career of Chris Nilan.  Lots of great highlight clips shown, including lots of fights (of course).  Nilan has had a difficult life - before, during, and after hockey.  Abusive father, fights with management, drugs, shoplifting, and so on.  He is brutally honest and pretty unrepentant about all of it.  We also get interviews with fighters like Tony Twist, Todd Ewen and, in perhaps the last interview before his death, Bob Probert, who died during the making of this movie.  The end result is a compelling look at this aspect of hockey and a very entertaining movie.  8/10.

I'll second Last Gladiators.  It's a fascinating sports doc, but, more than that, it's just an extremely well made film.

Watched X-Men: First Class last night after seeing Days of Future Past over the weekend.  Had a lot of fun with both. 

Jonah Hill is actually really good at apologizing.

*before controversy* Eh, he's had a couple of good performances but I'm not really a fan.

*after controversy* WOW, WHAT AN AMAZING GUY, I WANT HIM TO BE MY FRIEND.

I know I am late to this party, but I watched Short Term 12 this week. I cannot remember my 2013 list off the top of my head, but this film would easily have found itself nestled in my top five. It has to be one of the best films I have seen that directly confronts the issue of a troubled teen while having fun and never taking itself too seriously. I always felt myself in the room with these characters, and reacting as other characters react. I really wish I could better articulate what I loved about this movie, but check it out!

I have a weird sympathy for Bieber. He's gone mental, but isn't that exactly what happens to someone who can't even go outside without being mobbed by screaming fans?

See also: Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Britney Spears,etc. Madonna's the only one that managed to keep her shit together and that's because, well, she's Madonna.

What are these fans OF, exactly? WHAT DOES THIS MAN DO FOR A LIVING?

He has no musical talent, but that doesn't make him any less of a human being.

Honestly, anyone who says they'd like to be famous, means being rich and going to lots of premieres and getting their pictures taken . They don't mean not being able to step outside the house without causing a riot. Because, yeah, you'd go crazy. 

I feel bad for the guy. You'd think he murdered a baby with the apology tour he's on.

I think part of the reason people are having fun crucifying Jonah Hill is what a miserable, conceited little bastard he's been.  Did you ever catch that Rolling Stone interview around the time of 'This is the End' and they asked them all questions about the end of the world and hanging out and farting and everyone was a good sport and played along and Jonah Hill got all bent out of shape saying how he's a "Serious actor" and the like.  It was just dreadful.  So, for him to position himself as this serious artist, then turn around and use a homophobic slur against a paparazzo, it's quite funny.

I know I am late to this party, but I watched Short Term 12 this weekend. I cannot remember my 2013 list off the top of my head, but this film would easily have found itself nestled in my top five. It has to be one of the best films I have seen that directly confronts the issue of a troubled team while having fun and never taking itself too seriously. I always felt myself in the room with these characters, and reacting as other characters react. I really wish I could better articulate what I loved about this movie, but check it out!

Such a great movie.  So many great little performances.  Man, that rap the one guy does about his mother is just absolutely riveting.  I guess there was a minor movement to try to get him a Oscar nomination for the song which would have been incredible.  The movie looks like it's JUST going to go off the rails in the last act, but then it reins itself back in.  It's on Canadian Netflix now, so Canadians should watch it.

I have a weird sympathy for Bieber. He's gone mental, but isn't that exactly what happens to someone who can't even go outside without being mobbed by screaming fans?

See also: Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Britney Spears,etc. Madonna's the only one that managed to keep her shit together and that's because, well, she's Madonna.

Don't forget being born to a 19-year-old who left home at 16 and stole and dealt drugs and tried to throw herself in front of a truck and spent time in a mental ward.  

What are these fans OF, exactly? WHAT DOES THIS MAN DO FOR A LIVING?

He has no musical talent, but that doesn't make him any less of a human being.

Honestly, anyone who says they'd like to be famous, means being rich and going to lots of premieres and getting their pictures taken . They don't mean not being able to step outside the house without causing a riot. Because, yeah, you'd go crazy. 

You can dislike his music/dancing etc. but he is actually ridiculously talented and has shown an aptitude for music since he was like 2 or so.  That movie about him was kinda fascinating, especially the parts that showed him drumming with bands when he was just this little kid.

As Long As You Love Me was a stellar pop song that would have not been out of place being performed by Timberlake. Saying the kid doesn't have talent because it is not your preferred music genre is silly.

If I had everyone telling me I was amazing since I was 14, I probably would have turned out to be a little shit as well. Factor in terrible parents, his father parties with him on the tour buses, and I can see how he came to be who he is.

That's pretty solid for an avatar. 

Some days I think about ditching Beckham, but I'm afraid it's become intrinsic to the act. People won't know who's posting if I switch. Rippa will go "Who the hell made this guy Admin?" and I'll be done for.

Oh hey...this is the movie the thread. 

I watched TRAIL OF BLOOD, which is the first part in this badass Yakuza Samurai trilogy known as the Mikogami Trilogy. Basically this badass gave up the life of samurai for the Yakuza to start a family. The bad news is his girl was supposed to be some Yakuza bosses old lady. A few years later our hero finds his wife and kids murdered and it's time for some fucking VIOLENCE. There's a great gruesome scene with a hatchet and a couple of fingers that I will lift one day if Quentin Tarantino doesn't beat me to it. I'm probably about to fly through a bunch of these types of movies now that the the 50's thing is over and I got some freedom.