DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2014 & Beyond)

RIPPA

• 3 weeks later...

It has to be limited exclusivity. No way is Squeenix dumb enough to leave that much money on the table keeping it from PC and Sony players. Unless they Fleeced Microsoft.

Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro are making a new Silent Hill game, with Norman Reedus as the protagonist.

That's not something that I would ever be interested in playing, but it's pretty huge news nonetheless.

Doesn't sound like it's a timed exclusive.

WIld looks like a neat game for the PS4 and the new Bloodborne trailer is hawt.

Yeah, sounds like Rise of the Tomb Raider is not a timed exclusive.  When asked about it, Squeenix pointed out the other Tomb Raider games coming to PS4 and PC.

I honestly think Square Enix is dumb enough to have ROTR be XB1 exclusive and leave out PS/PC players. This move is a money move, plain and simple.

The problem I have is this: 1) It's not 2005 anymore so the days of Mass Effect, BioShock, Oblivion, and Fallout showing up on the 360 are gone. 2) Microsoft must have helped pay for the development costs rather than using that money towards first-party development of a new IP. and 3) the relative tone-deafness of Crystal Dynamics, Microsoft and Square Enix towards their audience in this case.

I think the end result will be....absolutely nothing changed. No one bought a Xbox One for Titanfall (or if they did, they had buyer's remorse and quickly sold their copy/system). As much as I love Sunset Overdrive and wish I was playing it, I'm not sure how much of an effect that will have overall. ROTR is along the same line -- it'll be nice to have for XB1 owners, but I don't think it'll be overall worth getting the system just for that game.

I think we will see Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 and PC -- when I don't know. But like I said, no one knew that BioShock, Mass Effect, and Fallout would be on PS3.

• Like 1

I honestly think Square Enix is dumb enough to have ROTR be XB1 exclusive and leave out PS/PC players. This move is a money move, plain and simple.

The problem I have is this: 1) It's not 2005 anymore so the days of Mass Effect, BioShock, Oblivion, and Fallout showing up on the 360 are gone. 2) Microsoft must have helped pay for the development costs rather than using that money towards first-party development of a new IP. and 3) the relative tone-deafness of Crystal Dynamics, Microsoft and Square Enix towards their audience in this case.

I think the end result will be....absolutely nothing changed. No one bought a Xbox One for Titanfall (or if they did, they had buyer's remorse and quickly sold their copy/system). As much as I love Sunset Overdrive and wish I was playing it, I'm not sure how much of an effect that will have overall. ROTR is along the same line -- it'll be nice to have for XB1 owners, but I don't think it'll be overall worth getting the system just for that game.

I think we will see Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 and PC -- when I don't know. But like I said, no one knew that BioShock, Mass Effect, and Fallout would be on PS3.

Are you trying to say it's not a smart move for Microsoft to have exclusive games on their console? Haha. Wow.

Exclusive games, yes.  But so long as their 1st party.  

Let me 'splain.  Microsoft going out and giving Square and CD money to make ROTR XBONE exlusive was a smart move on their part, even if it will piss off MS haters and Sony fanboys (basically, MS doing this has basically sold me a PS4 flat out, because fuck MS for making me purchase their console to play a game I'm really interested in).  Its not gonna move the consoles they think its going to, but getting exclusives could help.

That said, it didn't help in the long run with the affore mentioned Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Fallout.  All of which made it onto the PS3 eventually.  There are gamers like me that have a massive backlog of shit to play in the mean time, and they'll be plenty to get to and play while waiting for ROTR to eventually his PS4, because in the end, money.

From Square's standpoint, this is fucking stupid and a horrible business move.  You're numbers depend on units moved.  You just effectively limited the amount of units you can sell by making it exclusive to one console in a 3 console market.  Never mind that TR Definitive sold more units on the PS4 than XB1, MS would have to had pay a TON of money to offset the money you're leaving out by limiting the game to one console.  That's just business.  Factor in the customers you're alienating by going one console (not everyone has the income to buy all the consoles.  If you already have a PS4 and aren't getting a XB1, you're now fucked.)  Also you're going to lose money when you eventaully put it out, because you're not going to get $60 for it if the other console's had it out for months.

Yes, console exclusives are the nature of the beast, and 1st party exclusives are expected.  3rd party exist, its shitty, but it happens.  From a Dev standpoint, you're a fucking moron that deserves to lose the money you're leaving on the table going Console Exclusive and removing 2/3 of your potential client base because one offered you guaranteed money.

Sweet, so much for that noise. I haven't even played the first reboot, so I'm in no rush. Speaking of which, we need to gall meta and have a ReBoot video game where the user plays as Bob, Dot, and Enzo trying to stop the user from winning.