DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

Nah. It's derivative. Pretty, but derivative. Cameron hasn't made a good film since Terminator 2, unless you think financial success is an indicator of quality.

Mediocre love story aside, Titantic was still a visually stunning and well-made film.

• Like 1

Nah. It's derivative. Pretty, but derivative. Cameron hasn't made a good film since Terminator 2, unless you think financial success is an indicator of quality.

How could you even say that when True Lies exists?

• Like 1

I refuse to be the slightest bit ashamed of being a total Cameron fanboy. (Well, aside from Piranha 2 and much of The Abyss.) I fucking loved Avatar (and that picture is totally wrong, hell yeah I can name half-a-dozen characters and quote plenty of its lines without having to look anything up) and I fucking loved Titanic and I fucking loved True Lies. Aside from them all getting a wee bit draggy in the middle act and having some clunky dialogue, I count them as legit works of filmmaking art. Cameron is a very cinematic director; he takes full advantage of all the ways that movies aren't like other artforms. Like, just one example: his sound editing. Your average moviegoer never notices the sound editing, but I do; and Cameron's is always a master class, up there with the best of Spielberg and with Coppola's 1970s run in terms of just how precise and perfectionist everything is. He's like that in almost every category: the framing and composition of the shots, his choices in lighting the subject, the timing of his editorial cuts, the seamless quality of his special effects; it's all the work of a guy who is truly brilliant at telling a narrative story with moving pictures. Ever notice how you practically never hear other filmmakers calling Cameron a hack? They know exactly how insanely difficult it is to achieve the results that he does.

Wait...directors (other than Uwe Boll obviously) are still calling each other hacks? If it's not some veiled references, this is something I want to see. If you ever watch those director roundtables, this doesn't seem like an era where directors would be confrontational with each other. I mean you got friggin' Quentin Tarantino sitting by David O. Russell, a type of Hollywood douche he would have tombstone piledrove through the ground fifteen or twenty years ago. I mean Ridley Scott doesn't really give a shit, but that's because he is old and surly. Most of these guys are jacking each other off and being all fake with each other.

Also, who the fuck would call James Cameron a hack? I mean I don't like Avatar or Titanic, but I am not like "Fuck James Cameron!". Some of his movies just aren't for me even though they are massive, historical commercial successes. Mike Leigh, for example, doesn't make anything the critics hate. Secrets & Lies is one of my favorite films of all time. However, his other stuff for the most part makes me sick (still got to watch Vera Drake BTW). This last one where Timothy Spall won Best Actor at the Cannes made my fucking eyes bleed it was so boring. I still don't go, "Fuck Mike Leigh and his boring ass British garbage". I mean people can still dislike stuff and not have it be automatic hatred.

$2.7 billion in worldwide gross, 83% rating on both Rottentomatoes and Metacritic, nine Oscar nominations and three wins. I'd say the consensus is on my side.

It's wins were visual, not story or acting. It was a gorgeous movie that played well in a theater but lost its impact when moved to the small screen. I know one character name, one quote, and liked the story better when it was call The Last Samurai, which I liked better when it was called Dances With Wolves, and I've watched a ton of Sci-fi movies.

I mean, we're gonna use money as a good movie? In a thread where even the people that liked it said that Force Awakens was the greatest love letter to The Original made?