DVDVR Message Board

2024 INDY WRESTLING THREAD

On 3/23/2024 at 11:32 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Are they half the men they used to be?

No, but fans do wonder what the hell they’re doing here.  Word is the general impression is they don’t belong here.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

What in the flying fuck?! I have to watch this.

EDIT: Watching it again I absolutely need to and will see this match. I know Brian is hyping a match but what he said about technology is so very much me (though Transformers were cool!) But this match is gonna be so much fun. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

I just got back from being at the Chris Hero Mixtape show live. Chris Hero vs Kazusada Higuchi started off as a one-on-one match with every shot stiff as fuck and being some damn fine heavyweight wrestling, but then morphed into the tag team match of Hero and Bryan Keith vs Higuchi and MECHA MUMMY.

At first I was disappointed that this hard-hitting singles match with some of the grossest "sounding" wrestling I have ever seen live (maybe 2nd next to seeing Walter vs PCO live at Spring Break 2018) became an oddball spectacle of a comedy tag match, but then as it went on it crossed over into being one of the most gloriously sublime live wrestling experiences of my life and circled back around to being awesome again.

Well worth cycling through the Youtube stream for that spectacle, I do however desperately now want Hero vs Higuchi to be run back as a proper singles in a Bloodsport setting.

Arez vs Angelico 2-out-of-3-falls submissions-only match is worth checking out as well, they really committed hard to the submission-wrestling aspect of lucha with that one.

A LONG show, but he really did a great job of committing to the "mix tape" concept with a little something for everybody. A mini-CHIKARA reunion with Jigsaw and Hallowicked teaming up in a trios match (with Matt Makowski as their partner), a mini-EVOLVE reunion with a triple-threat main event with AR Fox and Jason Kincaid (with Alpha Zo being the third competitor), a lucha three-way that despite being very sloppy at times still won the crowd over with their ambition, a good old "local faces" vs "out of town heels" Los Angeles vs San Francisco trios match, a rock-solid women's triple threat, and to top off the madness, Biff Wiff's Cosmic Gumbo Rumble featuring (1) Hero's fellow IWA Mid-South alumni Jimmy Jacobs and Trik Davis (2) fellow Wrestle Factory alumni like Colin Delaney and Tracy Williams, and (3) a nod to the mid-2000s SoCal indie scene with an impressive appearance by Zokre capped off by the winner being deemed a fellow "Shirt Brother" by Biff Wiff for those that are dedicated fans of Tim Robinson's I THINK YOU SHOULD LEAVE series.

• Like 5

That money I dropped on IWTV to see the DEAN show was definitely money well spent. I'm watching the Prestige Roseland 8 show now. Daniel Makabe vs Zack Sabre Jr. main event sounds tasty, plus Minoru Suzuki is going to murder AKIRA. And Alan "5" Angels is their champion? Cool.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 8:44 AM, Death From Above said:

That money I dropped on IWTV to see the DEAN show was definitely money well spent. I'm watching the Prestige Roseland 8 show now. Daniel Makabe vs Zack Sabre Jr. main event sounds tasty, plus Minoru Suzuki is going to murder AKIRA. And Alan "5" Angels is their champion? Cool.

Who would have thought that, of everyone doing a "My demonic alter ego" gimmick, LIO RUSH would be the guy to pull it off convincingly?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Who would have thought that, of everyone doing a "My demonic alter ego" gimmick, LIO RUSH would be the guy to pull it off convincingly?

Yeah that match had too many nearfalls but was still one hell of a piece of drama.

Great show overall.

The Akira vs Suzuki match was really good too. Somehow, after all of those matches where Suzuki, regardless of who his opponent is, gives us "The Minoru Suzuki match", Akira managed to shake him out of that and change it up a bit.

When they were doing the finger manipulation early, and Akira bent Suzuki's finger so he was giving himself the bird, Suzuki sold that in a way that said "Ha ha this is awesome why didn't I think of it sooner?".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2024 at 9:22 PM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Love that there's an Indy tag team called "Creeps." Just feels right. 

I had a shower thought yesterday that it's surprising there's no one on the scumbag Mexican indies that I know of named El Hijo del Puto

• Haha 3

Watched the ACTION show last night.  Very show as usual.  From what I can see because of IWTV issues, Manders vs Alex Kane was damn good.  Mustafa Ali vs Landon Hale was also very good.  I hope Ali is using this indie tour to recruit TNA talent.  The hair vs hair match was heated as fuck.  Bald Matt Sells is going to be weird

I do have a possibility dislikable hot take.  I prefer Krule more when he was this death match monster who you had to hit with a sledgehammer to get off his feet.  I understand why they are doing it and don't get me wrong he is really good wrestler. seeing a guy who would get hit 50 light tubes and not flinch and now needing a rope break to get out of an Adam Priest figure four feels wrong.  It comes with being the ITVW champion 

While I am tired of Dusty finishes, at least it set up Priest vs Krule cage match next show.  Also keeps us from getting what I want which is Krule vs Jonathan Gresham 

On 4/27/2024 at 5:27 PM, hammerva said:

Watched the ACTION show last night.  Very show as usual.  From what I can see because of IWTV issues, Manders vs Alex Kane was damn good.  Mustafa Ali vs Landon Hale was also very good.  I hope Ali is using this indie tour to recruit TNA talent.  The hair vs hair match was heated as fuck.  Bald Matt Sells is going to be weird

Matt Sells lost a hair match before, it was in 2020 I think. He used to be all in purple with purple hair, but then he wrestled Arik Royal in a hair vs $10,000 (?) match.

It looks like my pals at BOOM Pro Wrestling in Vancouver are getting some attention lately. Brady Malibu and Max Mitchell were on Jericho's podcast two days ago to talk all things BOOM, and Alvarez was at their show last night and he's been praising them on Twitter today.  

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 3:09 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

It looks like my pals at BOOM Pro Wrestling in Vancouver are getting some attention lately. Brady Malibu and Max Mitchell were on Jericho's podcast two days ago to talk all things BOOM, and Alvarez was at their show last night and he's been praising them on Twitter today.  

Alvarez did a partial review on the B&V show yesterday as well.  Are they streaming anywhere?

48 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Alvarez did a partial review on the B&V show yesterday as well.  Are they streaming anywhere?

Nope. They're looking to local TV in the future possibly.  They have a YouTube channel with some matches and their monthly recap videos, though. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Thanks 1