DVDVR Message Board

AEW DYNASTY - 4/21/2024

If I was fantasy booking Wembley, the top 3 matches I'd have to have would be 

Ospreay/Swerve for the title/Main Event

Danielson/McGuiness

and if Omega is healthy

Hangman and Omega v The Young Bucks.

Those three matches would be incredible.

• Like 3

Man, MOTN honours for AEW Dynasty is going to be hard fought for with Bryan Danielson/Will Ospreay, Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland, FTR vs. The Young Bucks IV and Kazuchika Okada vs. PAC.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Kazuchika Okada vs. PAC.

I'm calling it now that this one steals the show. I'm an NJPW casual-at-best kind of guy, I'll watch the 1/4 dome show and other big ones if I'm awake to catch them, so I haven't seen like hundreds of Okada matches or anything, but I've been wanting this one since they ran the PAC/Kenny Iron Man at one of the early shows - I think (hope) these two end up having similar chemistry out there; with PAC leaning a little more toward my personal taste in strikes than Omega, I could see myself enjoying this quite a bit.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

I don’t understand this Kyle O Reilly/Rod Strong thing. Like… who is this for? Do you think there are 50 people worldwide who weren’t gonna order Dynasty who will now because this match is on the card? Tony drives me crazy with this niche within a niche shit…

13 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

I don’t understand this Kyle O Reilly/Rod Strong thing. Like… who is this for? Do you think there are 50 people worldwide who weren’t gonna order Dynasty who will now because this match is on the card? Tony drives me crazy with this niche within a niche shit…

It's not for me, but I will say I am in the minority here in that I don't mind the super long PPV cards. I have no kids and nothing better to do, I have no issue sitting with my brother and watching five hours of wrestling while we shoot the shit and eat pizza. So if TK wants to add another ***1/2 star match, I won't complain, give me all you got for my $50.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It's not for me, but I will say I am in the minority here in that I don't mind the super long PPV cards. I have no kids and nothing better to do, I have no issue sitting with my brother and watching five hours of wrestling while we shoot the shit and eat pizza. So if TK wants to add another ***1/2 star match, I won't complain, give me all you got for my $50.

I mean that Strong & O’Reilly are boring as hell, this Undisputed Kingdom thing is doa, and it’s totally unnecessary. Let’s put a match there that might actually excite people…

• Like 1

It's to draw the last handful of remaining "This is OUR BRAND" Black and Gold NXT loyalists.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AxB said:

It's to draw the last handful of remaining "This is OUR BRAND" Black and Gold NXT loyalists.

I think Tony khan and the two guys involved might be the only ones left who feel that way…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AxB said:

I had a similar thought recently re: Dynamite's new graphics package looking quite NXT 2.0-like in some aspects, particularly the 'paint splatter' logo on the LED guardrails.

ETA: I find myself landing somewhere between Dave and Kevin on this one. I agree w Dave that it's not the hottest angle (and the backstage promo on Rampage with TUK and KOR was pretty butt...) But I certainly think the match will be good-to-great, and like Kevin said, I definitely don't mind a little more bang for the bucks.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

Paint Spatter was 2019 AEW though. Well, it was powder paint, but it's the same principle.

16 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I mean that Strong & O’Reilly are boring as hell, this Undisputed Kingdom thing is doa, and it’s totally unnecessary. Let’s put a match there that might actually excite people…

My main issue with AEW PPVs is that there is very little downtime to go to the bathroom/get a snack/etc so I'm all for this match being right smack dab in the middle of the show.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, StevieNippz said:

My main issue with AEW PPVs is that there is very little downtime to go to the bathroom/get a snack/etc so I'm all for this match being right smack dab in the middle of the show.

I, personally, see that as a plus. I tried to sit through a couple WWE shows this year, and I swear on one of them (Rumble, maybe?) there was like 20 minutes between two matches with the video packages and commercials. That must suck live.

• Like 2

At Mania Night one, for the main event, the time lapse between the start of Cody's Entrance (after all of the video packages) and the bell ringing to start the match was literally 20 minutes. 20 minutes which consisted solely of 4 people walking to the ring, one after another.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Log said:

I, personally, see that as a plus. I tried to sit through a couple WWE shows this year, and I swear on one of them (Rumble, maybe?) there was like 20 minutes between two matches with the video packages and commercials. That must suck live.

Counterpoint: if you're not going to take an intermission, then it'd be nice to have spots built in so people working the entire show don't have to worry about their bladder exploding during the four and a half to five hour show. Poor Excalibur.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I rarely watch PPVs live. These Marathon PPVs cause burn out and are not enjoyable to me in one sitting. It's an exhausting overload of (high quality) wrestling that consistently results in big match main events and late show bouts facing burned out crowds. It's a bit disappointing. That said, I get down with the lengthy PPVs in next day Double Header mode, 2 parts, and am pretty grateful for the extended amount of mat action.

I usually watch in two chunks, too. When I watch live, it’s with a couple buddies who’ve worked in wrestling a while and know quite a few of the people in AEW personally, so there are lots of fun stories. Watched Revolution with them and it flew by. 

• Like 2

I guess I'm in the minority that is actually looking forward to seeing Strong/O'Reilly.  Always enjoyed Strong in-ring, less so outside of it, but O'Reilly has always been a fun watch, though i really miss denim vest sporting NXT O'Reilly.  His match v Balor is still one of my favorite NXT matches of all time.

• Like 6

I’m pro Strong vs shaggy haired guy. Roddy is likely the guy I find most interesting in that group. The will Shaggy or will Shaggy not join the group again is an ok story all things considered. Could be better but fine and will likely see some cool back breakers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Counterpoint: if you're not going to take an intermission, then it'd be nice to have spots built in so people working the entire show don't have to worry about their bladder exploding during the four and a half to five hour show. Poor Excalibur.

I assume this is why they swap out commentators? (unless ex is working the full show)

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I guess I'm in the minority that is actually looking forward to seeing Strong/O'Reilly.  Always enjoyed Strong in-ring, less so outside of it, but O'Reilly has always been a fun watch, though i really miss denim vest sporting NXT O'Reilly.  His match v Balor is still one of my favorite NXT matches of all time.

Strong is a guy I don’t look forward to watching or actively seek out, but then when I do see him wrestle, I always remember that he’s really fucking good at it. 

• Like 6