DVDVR Message Board

Baltimore Key Bridge Collapse

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I hope you're okay, NikoBaltimore. Hoping there's no casualties. It's leading the news channels in the UK.

It’s a really important highway, too. I-95 is the big interstate along the east coast of America. It goes under Baltimore as a tunnel. There’s a “beltway” that is essentially a loop road around the city for vehicles too big for the tunnel/people who want to avoid city traffic and for locals in that area. That’s what the bridge is on. Going to be pretty disruptive for moving cargo around the US for a while.

The video is absolutely wild.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An early story I saw this morning said “5 years” to rebuild it. 

around 0200, something on Twitter just said “an accident on 695.” 

about an hour later, one of the guys comes to the office and says “a ship hit the Key bridge and it collapsed.” And then we found the above YT link. 

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I hope you're okay, NikoBaltimore. Hoping there's no casualties. It's leading the news channels in the UK.

Thanks.  I work from home a half hour from Baltimore so it's super rare for me to go anywhere near Baltimore.  Even when I lived by Dundalk for a few years I went on the bridge maybe a couple times.  But to say the least this is a major event that right now just feels very shocking.  I have many questions and they don't really have lots of answers so I'm hoping they'll have more information on hand in the next update.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We’ve been in Perryville for a couple of days and have to go through Baltimore to get home today so it’ll set us back and extra thirty maybe but we’ll deal with that in a few hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

An early story I saw this morning said “5 years” to rebuild it. 

around 0200, something on Twitter just said “an accident on 695.” 

about an hour later, one of the guys comes to the office and says “a ship hit the Key bridge and it collapsed.” And then we found the above YT link. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Maryland sees if they can't get Federal money to make the whole thing a tunnel like the other two Bay crossings.  Has the added benefit of this never happening again. 

Latest I heard was apparently the ship had lost power and drifted headlong into the pylon that held up the bridge causing catastrophic damage that made the whole thing to come down.

7 people are missing, but are in all likelihood gone.  Sonar has confirmed there are cars on the bottom of the bay. 😞

There were definitely some vehicles crossing right before Impact. (Phone capitalized that, I'm leaving it in. Must be a TNA fan haha) A bit tough to find the impact on the video, I had to watch for a minute, it wouldn't pinpoint the exact minute on the search bar.

Wonder how this affects the docks, as me as a Wire fan immediately thought. (Go figure, Dolfan beat me to a reference, that tweet wouldn't load until I was finished)

Edited by Curt McGirt

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Thanks.  I work from home a half hour from Baltimore so it's super rare for me to go anywhere near Baltimore.  Even when I lived by Dundalk for a few years I went on the bridge maybe a couple times.  But to say the least this is a major event that right now just feels very shocking.  I have many questions and they don't really have lots of answers so I'm hoping they'll have more information on hand in the next update.

Glad you're okay, pal.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

We’ve been in Perryville for a couple of days and have to go through Baltimore to get home today so it’ll set us back and extra thirty maybe but we’ll deal with that in a few hours. 

Safe travels, mate.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Greggulator said:

It’s a really important highway, too. I-95 is the big interstate along the east coast of America. It goes under Baltimore as a tunnel. There’s a “beltway” that is essentially a loop road around the city for vehicles too big for the tunnel/people who want to avoid city traffic and for locals in that area. That’s what the bridge is on. Going to be pretty disruptive for moving cargo around the US for a while.

The video is absolutely wild.

Thank you.

The crew of the ship issued a mayday distress signal and warned of possible collision with the bridge shortly before impact.  

It was apparently enough to give the workers a couple of minutes to close and evacuate the bridge.  (NYT)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Maryland sees if they can't get Federal money to make the whole thing a tunnel like the other two Bay crossings.  Has the added benefit of this never happening again. 

They can't.  The bridge was for all the Hazmat stuff to stay out of the Tunnels by going over 695.  You'd have to take 695 all the way around the north side of the city now to stay on highways.  

In the "this is why you don't take Cruises" category, a ship *just* left Baltimore on Sunday, it now currently can't get back to the dock.  Next closest Cruise port I think is either Bayonne NJ or Norfolk VA.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Raziel said:

They can't.  The bridge was for all the Hazmat stuff to stay out of the Tunnels by going over 695.  You'd have to take 695 all the way around the north side of the city now to stay on highways.  

In the "this is why you don't take Cruises" category, a ship *just* left Baltimore on Sunday, it now currently can't get back to the dock.  Next closest Cruise port I think is either Bayonne NJ or Norfolk VA.  

It's Philly.   I know this for a fact because guess what I was doing on the second week of September 2001.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTrwUOSLgcg/ 

(The picture above was taken from the Hudson River on 9/9/01)

• Like 1

It's almost hard to fathom how much of a wide impact this is then you see that Biden is speaking about this along with the international coverage that was mentioned earlier.  Damn.  He also is saying the government is going to pay for the rebuild and relying on Congressional support.  Without going into why I have my doubts but do appreciate the sentiment.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's Philly.   I know this for a fact because guess what I was doing on the second week of September 2001.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTrwUOSLgcg/ 

(The picture above was taken from the Hudson River on 9/9/01)

Oh I don't doubt you. But they also closed the Cruise port in 2011 and it's hasn't been touched since.

But looking, they'll land it in Norfolk since they'd have to go right past it on the way into the Harbor anyway.

17 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Boy, David Simon is unloading with both barrels on the idiots on Twitter today. 

There are a lot of people on social media that are happy with this tragedy because you can tell they were just looking for some new conspiracy theories to bullshit on and on about.  And while the bridge was rather old, there isn't enough millions in the world in infrastructure spending to help keep a bridge up on something that big.

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I have many questions and they don't really have lots of answers so I'm hoping they'll have more information on hand in the next update.

I'm not a fan of quoting myself but I just now got a key answer to what I was wondering earlier.  NYT just said there were issues with the integrity of the ship and in particular the auxiliary machinery and a propulsion deficiency.  So I'm sure it was an accident and feel for the ones on it.  But yeah there's going to be lawsuits out the ass over this one.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

We have some examples on the bullshit people are Tweeting out over in the Discord, but I got it straight from the horse's mouth today. I went to a local Chinese buffet for lunch and they had CNN playing on their TV set. An old lady eating (who somehow did so while talking to her friend non-stop the entire meal) piped up "I wonder what happened. The driver probably couldn't speak English." 😒 This, in a restaurant owned and staffed by people who have English as a second language and definitely heard what you blurted out at full volume in a half-empty open-air room with nobody else talking.

• Sad 1