DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

So the other night, Alex Shelley

Spoiler

dropped one of his bigger Indie titles.

He had been Prestige Wrestling world champion, but he lost it to Alan Angels.

Which implies that his next career move, whatever it is, might be something that has him booked on Saturdays.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, colonial said:

Wheeler Yuta has been pulled from Friday's Arena Mexico show over medical clearance issues. He will be replaced in the eight-man by Matt Sydal.

As I said, as long as Danielson and Claudio are there, that’s all that matters, from my POV. Would have loved if they could have somehow gotten Hero as his replacement.

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, WebConn89 said:

Got tickets for the May 15th Dynamite. They are gonna be just north of Seattle in Everett, hope Swerve is champ by then.

I think you'll get your wish. Swerve beats Joe at AEW Dynasty. Enjoy!

21 minutes ago, WebConn89 said:

Got tickets for the May 15th Dynamite. They are gonna be just north of Seattle in Everett, hope Swerve is champ by then.

Home of Buddy and presumably Nick Wayne

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Double or Nothing 2024 is Sunday the 26th of May in the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Sunday PPVs fucking suck.

I am sorry, my dear friend, but that's a federal holiday here in the states so I'm gonna say HELL YES to that! 

...but otherwise agreed 1000%.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

I was at WrestleDream in October and that Seattle crowd refused to boo Swerve. If he comes out as a champion I think the roof might blow off the place.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Probably, yeah. Except... Hangman is still active and, as far as we know, still obsessed with ensuring Swerve never becomes world champion. Narratively, he pretty much has to show up and do something at Dynasty if not before.

Of course, no reason he can't try to screw Swerve at Dynasty and fail.

32 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Probably, yeah. Except... Hangman is still active and, as far as we know, still obsessed with ensuring Swerve never becomes world champion. Narratively, he pretty much has to show up and do something at Dynasty if not before.

It's Swerve's time. Really, it was Swerve's time 3 months ago. It's a new AEW and your top babyface is Will Ospreay and your top heel is Kazuchika Okada, so if they don't pull the trigger on Swerve now it'll be too late real quick.

• Like 3

Something I was thinking about. Everyone agrees that AEW has too many fucking belts, but if you don't count NXT and ROH, they actually have the same number of titles as WWE*. They're even grouped the same:

• 4 men's singles titles
  • 2 women's singles titles
  • 2 tag belts

The tag belts are a little different because AEW has a Trios title instead of a Women's tag, but it's still the same number of championships over the same hours of weekly TV. The real problem is that there are 7 ROH titles to NXT's 4 and the ROH titles are all over the main show. That and most of WWE's belts have been around for decades and Tony Khan busts out a new championship every six months.

*I'm counting belts defended together (WWE/Universal and the Raw/Smackdown tag belts) as one. I also forgot about the FTW belt but decided not to count it cause it's 'unofficial'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coletti said:

I am sorry, my dear friend, but that's a federal holiday here in the states so I'm gonna say HELL YES to that! 

No, the 27th is Memorial Day. But the 26th IS National Blueberry Cheesecake Day, National Lindy Hop Day, National Paper Airplane Day, and WORLD DRACULA DAY~!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hobo joe said:

It's Swerve's time. Really, it was Swerve's time 3 months ago.

True. Thinking about it more, Hangman trying to cost Swerve the match and failing is the way to go. Hanger costing Swerve the title doesn't lead to anything new, while Swerve defending the title against Page makes for a fitting final blow-off to that feud.

13 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Hangman will push Swerve down a flight of stairs before the main event at Dynasty.

19 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Hangman will push Swerve down a flight of stairs before the main event at Dynasty.

An injured Darby will take his place and then at the last minute Swerve comes limping out. Swerve gets beat up but magically pulls out super moves and Joe’s cheating backfires. Swerve wins and Joe forms the Boom Boom Grooms.

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Coletti said:

Love you too, mate.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Octopus said:

An injured Darby will take his place and then at the last minute Swerve comes limping out. Swerve gets beat up but magically pulls out super moves and Joe’s cheating backfires. Swerve wins and Joe forms the Boom Boom Grooms.

Will you stop?!

;).

• Haha 1

On a whim I looked at the rankings that went up Wednesday and the most interesting thing to me was Mariah May at number 2 in the women's rankings. A sign that they're planning to pull the trigger on Toni vs Mariah sooner rather than later?

The funniest thing was Claudio and Mox at number 3 in tag teams, higher than most of the teams in the tournament. Yet still, to my knowledge, no in-story explanation for why they didn't get a spot in the tournament.

Edit: forgot to include a link: https://www.allelitewrestling.com/post/aew-rankings-for-march-27-2024

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 2