DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/28 - 3/5/2024 - Stingchronicity II

21 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

And PWG is dead, for reals? Did Super Dragon totally retire?

Oh no, just on indefinite break.  Super Dragon posted on Twitter in November that the company is on hiatus because his girlfriend, who'd been in remission from cancer for some time, had been battling aggressive cancer since early 2023.  He mentioned that they'd be back as soon as they could in 2024.  The last show they did, which was in August, hasn't gone on sale on DVD or streaming but I don't really want to bug him.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Okay goddammit you gotta pull that out now (heh)

And PWG is dead, for reals? Did Super Dragon totally retire? I know what the Bucks are up to now obviously.

EDIT: "Not enough Day of the Jackal, bullet-in-the-crosshairs-finding-the-mark for me." Good lord Rollins tell us how you really feel haha

EDIT II: DEAN liked all kinds of shit. I think the only time I posted on the green board (it was set up incomprehensibly so I left) was about the Cure and he said "Just Like Heaven" was the best pop song ever. But he grew up in the NVA hardcore scene and said Dinosaur Jr. was the loudest concert he'd ever been to and played in a country band (I think). All those song quotes at the end of the DVDVRs there for awhile, those had to be his picks, and they were all over the place. Man had multitudes.

Hey, Dinosaur Jr. and My Bloody Valentine is also the loudest concert I’ve ever been to! And Sugar was actually the second loudest, which leads me to DEAN’s punk/HC days and the fact he saw Husker Du live.

Dean was probably the one who kept the music board going for a while, a lot of the traditional pinned threads are ones he started long ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I think of U2 in 4 main eras:  

1) Ascendant/Overtly Political - Boy thru Unforgettable Fire

2) Spiritual/Maturing - Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum

3) Mature/Experimental - Achtung Baby thru All That You Can't Leave Behind

4) OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED. - Everything after...

NYD is probably the quintessential song from U2 Mark I.  Very angry, very righteous, very, very good.  I tend to play it as the first song I listen to on the morning of 1/1. 

Mark II for me, and this may be a hot take... but "All I Want Is You" may be the most perfect song they have ever done.

Mark III is "One".  This is not up for debate.

And the less said about Mark IV the better. Gun to my head... "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own".    I knew it was over when Bono said "Uno Dos Tres Catorce" and did the "I'm crazy" sign language. 

(This is a rabbit hole, I have a lot of thoughts about Bono & The Edge...) 🙂

I mostly tuned out on them after Joshua Tree and definitely after Achtung Baby but their first couple albums when they were a young, hungry band who wrote ringing melodic rock songs and some sharp political anthems were amazing. “I Will Follow” makes my arm hair stand in end still. And the martial snare beat to “Sunday Bloody Sunday” is perfect. I just about wore through my cassette of Under a Blood Red Sky (never saw them live, really wish I had back in those days although really Joshua Tree was the first tour I probably would have been allowed to go to if I could’ve afforded it).

My first college girlfriend made me a really great, eclectic mix tape and “All I Want is You” was on there and I hadn’t thought about that tape of that song in years but yeah, it’s way up there. Has the heart of the early stuff but the epic anthemic tone of Mark II without drifting into the eventual self-indulgence.

Man, I am going to have to listen to some early U2 tomorrow!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I always kinda wondered if I would like War and whatever early singles or whatever. I rented The Joshua Tree from the library one time and just thought "what is this shit". My experience with downloading all the Police stuff was moderately better, it's just not my kinda stuff, but I like some songs (mostly the hits). 

This is unrelated to any opinions about I have about rich pretentious white rock stars who prefer their philanthropy to be performed as loud and obnoxious as humanly possible. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I mostly tuned out on them after Joshua Tree and definitely after Achtung Baby but their first couple albums when they were a young, hungry band who wrote ringing melodic rock songs and some sharp political anthems were amazing. “I Will Follow” makes my arm hair stand in end still. And the martial snare beat to “Sunday Bloody Sunday” is perfect. I just about wore through my cassette of Under a Blood Red Sky (never saw them live, really wish I had back in those days although really Joshua Tree was the first tour I probably would have been allowed to go to if I could’ve afforded it).

My first college girlfriend made me a really great, eclectic mix tape and “All I Want is You” was on there and I hadn’t thought about that tape of that song in years but yeah, it’s way up there. Has the heart of the early stuff but the epic anthemic tone of Mark II without drifting into the eventual self-indulgence.

Man, I am going to have to listen to some early U2 tomorrow!

Well said. I love thinking of that early U2 entrenched in a rivalry with Echo and the Bunnymen at the peak of their powers. I much, much prefer the Bunnymen, but the young and hungry U2 were a worthy foe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Hey, Dinosaur Jr. and My Bloody Valentine is also the loudest concert I’ve ever been to! And Sugar was actually the second loudest, which leads me to DEAN’s punk/HC days and the fact he saw Husker Du live.

Dean was probably the one who kept the music board going for a while, a lot of the traditional pinned threads are ones he started long ago.

I've seen Dinosaur Jr. and they were up there in volume but I think the Melvins and Boris have them beat. I kinda think some of my hearing issues can be tied to my seeing the Melvins multiple times per tour from high school through my late 20s.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

To tie this back around, I have tomorrow off work so I want to watch some wrestling. Does anyone have any recommendations on the CMLL guys who are appearing on Rampage?

Short answer: check the lucha folder for recommendations and YT links for folks like Hechicero. 

• Like 2

Speaking of FTR:

I'm lukewarm on them as faces, but understand their position in AEW, but I think what made them special as heels was all the small things they did to get the fans into the match. They broke the rules, but never to show up or do unnecessary stuff, stuff like where the out of ring member of FTR would drop off the apron, run over to the other side and pull the opponent off the apron before a Hot tag could be made). Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that Blackpool Combat Club is more now about violence then being the best wrestlers, I think they would really fill a role in the BCC.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 10:16 PM, JLowe said:

If you had Stat-Skye Blue as your MOTN going in, then go ahead and buy a lottery ticket.

On this show, this bet would've been like +180 at worst. Trios would probably be the favorite given the names, but those 6 tend to benefit from smaller matches where they can really milk the one on one time, plus it was more of a setup match. Stat is the AEW women's workhorse, Skye was last year's most improved and they had every reason to go hard since their PPV ceiling is probably a pre-show tag. Stat also makes the Code Blue look killer every time. Outside of that, you know OC isn't going all out against Nick Wayne, Jericho ain't getting anything special out of Atlantis Jr, then a bunch of promo segments.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

To tie this back around, I have tomorrow off work so I want to watch some wrestling. Does anyone have any recommendations on the CMLL guys who are appearing on Rampage?

Magnus and Rugido are a tag team in CMLL, or at least the last time I checked they were.  Honestly speaking, they are not the top-tier workers like the ones everyone saw in the first two weeks or so of this partnership. In other words, good, but not great.  As odessasteps has suggested, take a look at the lucha folder and follow the hints to a helpful site where you may find these two.  Magnus/Rugido vs. Neon/Futuro from 10/13/2023 is absolutely worth a watch, but it's mainly for Neon and Futuro, who are both well on their way to much bigger things.  

• Like 1

Re: International Version/Tape Delay

Hangman/Swerve/Joe Promo was an excellent bit of dueling mics. I’m with the Horseshit (1 fall) call on 3 ways, but I’m stoked nonetheless. BCC v FTR/Eddie felt like another minor classic on the way to two PPV masterpieces. I watched this twice, and loved it even more the second time. Jericho promo was pretty good, and along with the video gave us a nice set-up for the bout. Not sure what Renee was wearing there, but she finds a way to pull off this Susie Greene-esque choice. Ospreay/Callis Family promo was excellent. I welcome the mystery of Ospreay’s heavy accent. I love his energy and flow on the mic. Exciting times ahead. I love the hilarity of Don Callis as much as anything AEW has to offer. OC v Nick Wayne was good solid action leading to a huge dark horse v Roddy on this spectacular PPV card. Jay White/Asses/Assclaimed promo – sad emoji. Save Jay White. Skye v Stat was terrific. Skye Blue is having fun as a heel, and looking better every time out. I liked Jericho v Atlantis Jr. far more than I probably ought to have. This felt like a fun mid-show/not worried about the ratings Collision bout. Not to say this was a comedy bout, but I found myself highly amused. Bucks/Darby/Sting/Flair angle was pretty solid after the quick detour of Naitch reminded all of his last match. Loved how the Jacksons sold his flimsy offense. Like others have posted, I was watching this segment with my partner. Her excitement for the Sting rafter drop was infectious, and made this segment for me. I can’t remember a PPV line-up that I was more excited for than this. Goddamn, goddamn AEDub!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Would it be okay if Juicey Boy came back from injury to challenge Knife Pervert for custody of Ass Boys? Would that possibly be SOMETHING interesting for them to do that isn't this horseshit?

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Save Jay White

I have enjoyed the hell out of him in his current role, but agree he's capable of much, much more. He just hasn't really been presented as a true main eventer enough - the last time I can think of may have been when he was mixing it up with Cole/MJF back over the summer

Edit: I just thought of this now but whoever called him (AUSSIE/NZ)** Hollywood Hogan back then was dead on

One thing I'm hoping for from this "new era" they keep mentioning, is for White and Ospreay (along with Okada once he arrives) to be more heavily featured at the top of the card - I think those guys, not to mention a returning PAC and Omega, and a plethora of others,  have all the tools necessary to bring the house style to a wider audience.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

Apparently he is actually Dutch-New Zealand Hollywood Hogan. 

Do we really need New Japan Redux covering the entire layout of the upper card/World title scene? Pervert/Bruv/Moneybags/Terminator/Churchgoers, that's a lot of space to take up. Like they need their own title or something. (Oh no, did I say that? IS HE LURKING?!?!?!) 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It's too bad the Good Brosephs are over on NXT now, they could be screwing up the tag scene over here too

EDIT: Shamefully, The Wrestler was exiled to ROH after he became ALL ELITE instead of getting the spot Moneybags is gonna have. Good job boys.

EDIT II: You know, the American Triple Crown actually wouldn't be a bad secondary World title for all these guys to be fighting over, if you want to keep Smo Joe and MJeff and Bad Hair Day and Hungmin and Who's House and Bladefreak in the running for the actual one. (I'm leaving out Storytime, he sucks.)

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Re: International Version/Tape Delay

Hangman/Swerve/Joe Promo was an excellent bit of dueling mics. I’m with the Horseshit (1 fall) call on 3 ways, but I’m stoked nonetheless. BCC v FTR/Eddie felt like another minor classic on the way to two PPV masterpieces. I watched this twice, and loved it even more the second time. Jericho promo was pretty good, and along with the video gave us a nice set-up for the bout. Not sure what Renee was wearing there, but she finds a way to pull off this Susie Greene-esque choice. Ospreay/Callis Family promo was excellent. I welcome the mystery of Ospreay’s heavy accent. I love his energy and flow on the mic. Exciting times ahead. I love the hilarity of Don Callis as much as anything AEW has to offer. OC v Nick Wayne was good solid action leading to a huge dark horse v Roddy on this spectacular PPV card. Jay White/Asses/Assclaimed promo – sad emoji. Save Jay White. Skye v Stat was terrific. Skye Blue is having fun as a heel, and looking better every time out. I liked Jericho v Atlantis Jr. far more than I probably ought to have. This felt like a fun mid-show/not worried about the ratings Collision bout. Not to say this was a comedy bout, but I found myself highly amused. Bucks/Darby/Sting/Flair angle was pretty solid after the quick detour of Naitch reminded all of his last match. Loved how the Jacksons sold his flimsy offense. Like others have posted, I was watching this segment with my partner. Her excitement for the Sting rafter drop was infectious, and made this segment for me. I can’t remember a PPV line-up that I was more excited for than this. Goddamn, goddamn AEDub!

"Liked" just for the Suzie Greene reference.  I assumed it was a Julie Winters tribute but I also admit that's probably too deep a reference.

Note to Americans, "getting pissed with the missus" means something different in the UK.  I need to rewatch the Austin Powers "let's speak English English" scene to get ready for Will's run.

Other notes:

• God damn, The Bang Bang Scissor Gang is a waste of everyone involved, which is a tremendous accomplishment in mediocrity.  Its only saving grace would be if it ends in a blood feud where Billy Gun is forcibly retired and the belts are unified.
  • When did FTR changed the name of their finish back to "Shatter Machine?"  They had been calling it "The Big Rig" in tribute to Brodie Lee.
  • "40 extra black bats" is in Sting's rider with every venue.
Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Liked how the Bucks went "White bat" to counter Sting's Black Bat.. but Turns out that no riddles are needed, they're afraid of the big black bat... (no,get your minds out of the gutter, reprobates!)

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Note to Americans, "getting pissed with the missus" means something different in the UK.  I need to rewatch the Austin Powers "let's speak English English" scene to get ready for Will's run.

This made me laugh. I once said here Goldberg nutted the locker room door. You've reminded me of William Regal's excellent autobiography having a glossary explaining UK terms who wouldn't be aware otherwise.

31 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Liked how the Bucks went "White bat" to counter Sting's Black Bat.. but Turns out that no riddles are needed, they're afraid of the big black bat... (no,get your minds out of the gutter, reprobates!)

British Broadcasting Corporation!

• Haha 1

Kind of a rudderless evening. If you don't like cold-as-ice matchups like we've been talking about you'll hate this one. Claudio is amping up the assholishness which I approve of; Rugido didn't look too special though. If they were trying to show us anything from Magnus on the other hand they buried it in the PnP. I thought the CMLL guys were ostensibly tecnicos and instead we got Matt Sydal, who's been around forever, being a hyped-up overactive babyface busting out everything on this guy and the CMLL guy taking the heat during the break. Sydal also hits Meteora, gets two, and Magnus just gets back up to go on offense again and win? Alrighty then. At least Sydal is not just the least mummified of any of their older wrestlers, he's a goddamn rocket from the crypt. 

The other two matches served no purpose at all. Ange got slapjacked with a dildo (TM AxB) while he and Ruby were on their way to Applebee's. Boy, those yaks got some beef don't they. I had to ask who the Knight brother was. Guess if you can't get a family member a job then what's the point of having influence in any profession. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2