DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/28 - 3/5/2024 - Stingchronicity II

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I’m usually big on FTR but last night was one of those times where you could see everything being a performance rather than a fight.

Far more true for Dax than Cash, I thought. Especially when Cash was in there with Mox. Cash wrestles like a guy about to be in a road rage incident.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I’m usually big on FTR but last night was one of those times where you could see everything being a performance rather than a fight.

I'll agree with this, particularly the dumb ass "do-si-do" spot. It's funny, they have the whole southern throwback tag thing going, but the second you put those guys into any kind of trios situation, you get a couple of those too-cute, PWG-esque moments. (Though I'm sure the Fantastics or another old school team escaping me probably did something similar as well - I said PWG before but I see the Memphis in it too)

On the flip side of the coin: one of my biggest gripes with their whole presentation at times can be the overly-serious nature (particularly Dax's promos, which we've discussed ad nausem) - I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for FTR to show a more lighthearted side in these kind of TV affairs once in a while, I just think it would've worked better/been more enjoyable as a standalone piece with (let's say) Best Friends or the Assboys on a Friday Rampage, as opposed to a PPV go home where they're across from the team they'll be in with on Sunday. From a story perspective, you'd wanna see those guys on BCC like Hanger was on Swerve, right?

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'll agree with this, particularly the dumb ass "do-si-do" spot. It's funny, they have the whole southern throwback tag thing going, but the second you put those guys into any kind of trios situation, you get a couple of those too-cute, PWG-esque moments. (Though I'm sure the Fantastics or another old school team escaping me probably did something similar as well - I said PWG before but I see the Memphis in it too)

On the flip side of the coin: one of my biggest gripes with their whole presentation at times can be the overly-serious nature (particularly Dax's promos, which we've discussed ad nausem) - I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for FTR to show a more lighthearted side in these kind of TV affairs once in a while, I just think it would've worked better/been more enjoyable as a standalone piece with (let's say) Best Friends or the Assboys on a Friday Rampage, as opposed to a PPV go home where they're across from the team they'll be in with on Sunday. From a story perspective, you'd wanna see those guys on BCC like Hanger was on Swerve, right?

Yeah, I don't think every FTR match needs to be a 30+ minute SERIOUS WRESTLING VERY IMPORTANT MATCH.  Their AEW run feels like an overcorrection of the ass cream and jester outfits stuff.

Also, I will brook no criticism of my beloved and sadly defunct Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.  We are now enemies.  Good day sir.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Also, I will brook no criticism of my beloved and sadly defunct Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.  We are now enemies.  Good day sir.

Ha I didn't mean it derisively, I just couldn't think of a more concise way to be like, "You guys know the Chucky T/Liger butthole conga line gif from like ten years ago? Like that"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two awesome carry jobs last night from Stat and OC. 

Stat just rules so much. She's the absolute total package -- an athletic wunderkind but also understands her character and naturally connects with the fans. She's kind of like Bayley, except she's so strong physically she can't work underneath. Stat held everything together, let Sky Blue lean into the "lost high school freshman who met a lonely goth junior at the mall who convinced her steal a Ministry cassette tape" character stuff, and have a really good TV match.

OC/Nick Wayne was along the same lines. OC was so generous in that match and (to no one's surprise) was in the right place throughout for Wayne to do his wild dives. Wayne reminds me a lot of a young Sean Waltman, who was the first heel cruiserweight I remember -- he knew when to preen and show-off and gloat. Having one of the best to ever understand that timing as your patriarch probably really helps with that. I love OC also selling his back progressively more throughout the match to set up the in-ring story for the Roddy match, with OC having an easy target for Roddy to target. Who else does that level of set-up than OC? He's one of the smartest workers to ever do it. 

It's no shock both OC and Stat are IRL best friends. They're both so good and get it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Far more true for Dax than Cash, I thought. Especially when Cash was in there with Mox. Cash wrestles like a guy about to be in a road rage incident.

I wonder why that is?

In any case, I really, really liked the trios match and during Cash being in there with Mox, I was thinking he's another one of those short, but strong and agile explosive wrestlers in PAC vein and would love to see those two go batshit against one another!

• Like 3

That do-si-do spot would have worked so well against Juice/Switchblade. Doesn't work in a match with "real ones" like the BCC and with Kingston at your side. Just a matter of context. I'm such a mark for when The Fantastics or The Rockers or RnR's would do a do-si-do. That was a fun match. I really liked how Mox pumped his fist and Claudio lorded the win over whichever FTR guy was on the floor (forget who.) It made their win seem important. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

That do-si-do spot would have worked so well against Juice/Switchblade. Doesn't work in a match with "real ones" like the BCC and with Kingston at your side. Just a matter of context

That's such a great point.  BCC"s gimmick is "we are legit fighters who would just as soon stab you as get you in a headlock."  Good call with the Rockers...them vs cartoon comedy goons like Akeem & Bossman?  Of course that spot works there. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 5:05 AM, Shartnado said:

Regarding the hidden content, I need to check if "Hungry for You" is that song I used to like a lot in the mid 90's? I don't believe I have listened to it since then, though. It had a video on Mtv at the time with a desert theme. I'm not sure if that's the same song, but I remember liking it a lot. Certainly belongs on that list.

for the record @Shartnado, Hungry For You is the song that's in French that the Police released.  

The 'desert theme' song, I think is Desert Rose:

(also, all the Police/Sting/U2/Edge talk makes me immeasurably happy)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

for the record @Shartnado, Hungry For You is the song that's in French that the Police released.  

Ok, so maybe I was wrong about that one. I appreciate the response, I think this one isn't it, either, but it's still better than most Sting songs that I was aware of until now, so it's still a major win!

Also, how does Dolfan feel about New Year's Day by U2?

...edit: I checked, and the song by Sting I was referring to was "Mad About You", not "Hungry For You". Now I know.

Edited by Shartnado
The board needs to know!

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

That do-si-do spot would have worked so well against Juice/Switchblade. Doesn't work in a match with "real ones" like the BCC and with Kingston at your side. Just a matter of context. I'm such a mark for when The Fantastics or The Rockers or RnR's would do a do-si-do. That was a fun match. I really liked how Mox pumped his fist and Claudio lorded the win over whichever FTR guy was on the floor (forget who.) It made their win seem important. 

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

That's such a great point.  BCC"s gimmick is "we are legit fighters who would just as soon stab you as get you in a headlock."  Good call with the Rockers...them vs cartoon comedy goons like Akeem & Bossman?  Of course that spot works there. 

Well said, fellas - this kinda "tonal discrepancy" thing is more or less exactly what I wanted to articulate this morning

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This is an exception as a late era Sting song that I like

Highest recommendation for all to check out the uncut version of the BCC v FTR/Eddie bout. The first commercial break had great heated exchanges while the second break really messed with the flow of action. From reading over the thread I sense the TV version must've paled in comparison. I thoroughly loved this match, but that assessment includes the divisive Dosido spot. Super stoked for the Sunday pairings.

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Ok, so maybe I was wrong about that one. I appreciate the response, I think this one isn't it, either, but it's still better than most Sting songs that I was aware of until now, so it's still a major win!

Also, how does Dolfan feel about New Year's Day by U2?

I think of U2 in 4 main eras:  

1) Ascendant/Overtly Political - Boy thru Unforgettable Fire

2) Spiritual/Maturing - Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum

3) Mature/Experimental - Achtung Baby thru All That You Can't Leave Behind

4) OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED. - Everything after...

NYD is probably the quintessential song from U2 Mark I.  Very angry, very righteous, very, very good.  I tend to play it as the first song I listen to on the morning of 1/1. 

Mark II for me, and this may be a hot take... but "All I Want Is You" may be the most perfect song they have ever done.

Mark III is "One".  This is not up for debate.

And the less said about Mark IV the better. Gun to my head... "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own".    I knew it was over when Bono said "Uno Dos Tres Catorce" and did the "I'm crazy" sign language. 

(This is a rabbit hole, I have a lot of thoughts about Bono & The Edge...) 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I think of U2 in 4 main eras:  

1) Ascendant/Overtly Political - Boy thru Unforgettable Fire

2) Spiritual/Maturing - Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum

3) Mature/Experimental - Achtung Baby thru All That You Can't Leave Behind

4) OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED. - Everything after...

NYD is probably the quintessential song from U2 Mark I.  Very angry, very righteous, very, very good.  I tend to play it as the first song I listen to on the morning of 1/1. 

Mark II for me, and this may be a hot take... but "All I Want Is You" may be the most perfect song they have ever done.

Mark III is "One".  This is not up for debate.

And the less said about Mark IV the better. Gun to my head... "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own".    I knew it was over when Bono said "Uno Dos Tres Catorce" and did the "I'm crazy" sign language. 

(This is a rabbit hole, I have a lot of thoughts about Bono & The Edge...) 🙂

Pretty spot on. Anybody know what Dean thought of this Irish lot? 

All That You Can’t Leave Behind has a pretty decent argument for being one of the best albums of this century. Or does 2000 count as part of the previous century?

Either way, that was probably their last great album and it’s shocking how my songs off of it were hits. Not my favorite U2 album, but it’s up there.

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

All That You Can’t Leave Behind has a pretty decent argument for being one of the best albums of this century. Or does 2000 count as part of the previous century?

2000 was the last year of the twentieth century, yes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

the Chucky T/Liger butthole conga line gif

Okay goddammit you gotta pull that out now (heh)

And PWG is dead, for reals? Did Super Dragon totally retire? I know what the Bucks are up to now obviously.

EDIT: "Not enough Day of the Jackal, bullet-in-the-crosshairs-finding-the-mark for me." Good lord Rollins tell us how you really feel haha

EDIT II: DEAN liked all kinds of shit. I think the only time I posted on the green board (it was set up incomprehensibly so I left) was about the Cure and he said "Just Like Heaven" was the best pop song ever. But he grew up in the NVA hardcore scene and said Dinosaur Jr. was the loudest concert he'd ever been to and played in a country band (I think). All those song quotes at the end of the DVDVRs there for awhile, those had to be his picks, and they were all over the place. Man had multitudes.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1