DVDVR Message Board

The 58th Superb Owl

Dolfan in NYC

This could go in another thread but the Chiefs players mentioned that Eric Bieniemy dropped in to speak to them before the AFC title game.

Andy Reid also commented on bringing Bieniemy back with “we don’t have any staff vacancies right now” which, yeah, duh, you’re in the Super Bowl.

In old-timey Super Bowl news; if any of you live in the NYC vicinity - on Saturday, the Paley Center for Media is doing a one-time screening of the only existing copy of the Super Bowl I telecast (not the NFL Films/radio combo thing that was aired a few years back; the actual telecast).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hamhock said:

In old-timey Super Bowl news; if any of you live in the NYC vicinity - on Saturday, the Paley Center for Media is doing a one-time screening of the only existing copy of the Super Bowl I telecast (not the NFL Films/radio combo thing that was aired a few years back; the actual telecast).

Still not quite complete but incredible nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Rashee Rice showed up on the injury report yesterday with an ankle injury.  

According to Andy Reid, Rice got stepped on in practice, received treatment, and should be okay to go on Sunday. 

In the glut of pre game show today it was great to see the documentary on the original NFL today on CBS.  Very good stuff especially for someone who remembers the great days as a kid.  some of the highlights:

1.  The story about Jimmy the Greek getting so pissed about not getting enough attention over Phyllis George that he drunkenly punched Brent Musberger and pulling a broken beer bottle on him.  And how they used it for jokes all year

2.  Bringing in Jayne Kennedy talking about her time.  Really didn't go in detail on why she was fired but you can see it was kind of dirty 

Something tells me when we get to hour 4 of pre game we are going to wish this was a 2 hour documentary.  

• Like 5

Dang I would have liked to have seen that. That kind of stuff is my jam and we haven’t seen enough of it since we lost Steve Sabol. Brent Musberger is a GOAT and to just not be hated by everybody would have been a miracle in the case of 1 of his runs, which was when he replaced Keith Jackson. “This…could be the greatest comeback…in Florida State history”…might be my alltime favorite call including wrestling. 1994 Choke at Doak.

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

In the glut of pre game show today it was great to see the documentary on the original NFL today on CBS.  Very good stuff especially for someone who remembers the great days as a kid.  some of the highlights:

1.  The story about Jimmy the Greek getting so pissed about not getting enough attention over Phyllis George that he drunkenly punched Brent Musberger and pulling a broken beer bottle on him.  And how they used it for jokes all year

2.  Bringing in Jayne Kennedy talking about her time.  Really didn't go in detail on why she was fired but you can see it was kind of dirty 

Something tells me when we get to hour 4 of pre game we are going to wish this was a 2 hour documentary.  

Yeah, that was really good. The entire Super Bowl XIV pregame show is on YouTube and I watched it a few weeks ago, I remember thinking the Kennedy flying around in a helicopter while George was doing an interview segment was weird. 

I also watched a bunch of old halftime shows and wow they were bad, totally forgot about the Indiana Jones, Patti LaBelle, Tony Bennett one. 

Was the Indiana Jones show bad or is it associated with whiny critics who didn’t like ToD and the least hyped SB ever? A game that lived “up” to its “hype”?

I’m still pulling for the 49ers. Hot dang they just deserve it. I thought they would finally break after last year. The workhorses on that team had carried and carried. I thought no way they can do it again. I was wrong, and the fact that they got CMC to lighten the load and Brock who is the best quarterback they’ve had since this started doesn’t mean they haven’t still been carrying a load.

I was wrong about the Chiefs too who I thought would still come back as late as December before I still gave up and said they were done. I think the Bills were going to beat them if not for etc etc etc but not because they were just finished. The Eagles were finished. The Bills still had to take it from the Chiefs and didn’t. I hope the Bills aren’t broken now. They deserve it too and I’ll watch them close next year like I have the 49ers. If the Chiefs win now I’ll be a little mad over the Bills game but besides that they’re not somebody I hate or am even annoyed by like others are. There were other chances to take them out and nobody else could even come close.

If you wonder Dalton Castle will look like in 30 years, see Carrot Top today. 😁

For people wasting their money on Taylor Swift side bets, you probably already a winner in the pre season 

Edited by hammerva

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

Was the Indiana Jones show bad or is it associated with whiny critics who didn’t like ToD and the least hyped SB ever? A game that lived “up” to its “hype”?

It was really bad, but not Up With People singing Motown bad. 

• Like 1

Glad to see the Niners are all about that MDK shit worldwide 😄

Post Malone was good but seeing him with a bolo tie and a banjo will not be fucking weird.  And of course they showed Taylor Swift which I am sure will be treated fine

Wait is the Wicked Witch of the West getting a face turn in this movie

Edited by hammerva

39 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Glad to see the Niners are all about that MDK shit worldwide 😄

Post Malone was good but seeing him with a bolo tie and a banjo will not be fucking weird.  And of course they showed Taylor Swift which I am sure will be treated fine

Wait is the Wicked Witch of the West getting a face turn in this movie

Not exactly. Wicked is

Spoiler

kinda an origin story where it turns out the Wizard is the real villain.

----

If Chase Young turns back into his rookie year start, this defense is terrifying.

Edited by Brian Fowler

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

kinda remarkable that the Chiefs are leaning this hard on the run game when they have one above average running back

This! But I’m biased since I have Kelce scoring the 1st TD as one of my bets.