DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/29 - 2/4/2024 - Ice Ice Bayley

Never seen a promotion work as diligently to cool off their product as WWE has over the past year. I mean, plenty of other promotions have done it quicker and more spectacularly, but no one has matched WWE’s steadfast commitment to not giving their red-hot fans what they want circa Elimination Chamber 2023 to Now.

They haven’t actually achieved it yet, but I have full faith in their ability to keep their nose to the grindstone and get the job done, eventually.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Vgmastr said:

Playing Devil's advocate, what if the plan is still Cody and Roman and this is just a way to build some groundswell support behind Cody a la the Yes Movement?  Not saying I believe that, but I think we see a lot of "We want Cody!" chants in the coming weeks.

It feels like “making it obvious that Cody doesn’t have as much support as 2014 Daniel Bryan” is a strategy with some downsides

Because let’s be blunt here. Cody’s fans support really isn’t deep enough to cause an open fan rebellion here.

5 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

They know Mania is in Philly this year, right?

Did they forget how the Philly crowd reacted to the Rumble in 2015?

17,264 people in an arena in 2015 vs 46,125 people in a stadium in 2024

Wrestlemania is the WWE Super Bowl and it feels like this is acting like the Super Bowl crowd is gonna be like a regular season crowd in a city.

So, the diehard Codymaniacs need to figure out if they want it to rain during the main event or if they want it to be really cold during the main event

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

It feels like “making it obvious that Cody doesn’t have as much support as 2014 Daniel Bryan” is a strategy with some downsides

Because let’s be blunt here. Cody’s fans support really isn’t deep enough to cause an open fan rebellion here.

Yeah I agree with this. Cody fans are like…Astros fans. Lots of recent success, good turnout, it’s a good time. Bryan fans were Phillies fans. It’s just a different deal.

"The Rock & Roman Reigns’ segment from last nights #SmackDown is now officially @WWE’s most disliked YouTube video of all time with over 200,000 dislikes in under only 9 hours.

In 9 hours: 1.6M views. 57,000 Likes. 200,000+ Dislikes"

Wow.

• Like 2

It would be hilarious if Rock used the reaction to this angle as an opening to get his final revenge on Triple H for 20+ years of H politicking

Even with his NXT image rehabilitation, there’s probably enough people who’d believe “HHH made this angle bad to get back at the Rock” as opposed to the angle just not being good.

And yet, the words of the pipe bomb promo will hold to be true

• Haha 1

So, one of my resolutions for 2024 was to not yuck other people's yum. I've never thought that WWE's creative was any more satisfying that it had been, but I also chalked that up to just not caring about the folks WWE was choosing to feature. My thought was "Seth Rollins is an active channel changer for me, but if the people who like him think this is good booking, maybe it is." But this decision to go with Rock instead of Cody. Ooof. That's bad. It also reinforces my belief that deep down, Triple H is still the guy who wants to point and laugh at the smart marks for caring too much about the product. He's still the guy who's default is to answer any criticism with "how's your wrestling company going?" One thing I do hope comes from this is that we can all as a collective move past the idea that bringing back Johnny Gargano to come out to silence every week is Triple H "cooking" somehow. He inherited the Bloodline thing, has run it into the ground, and is right back to creative bankruptcy. He had Sami Zayn get hotter than any babyface since Daniel Bryan and passed him over. He had the chance to do something with the Judgment Day besides making them a total joke, but that's gone. Meanwhile, we're on iteration #7-8 of Karrion Kross, and no one gives a fuck. Tony Khan has many flaws as an executive, but I can't remember the last event he presented where there weren't at least 3-4 matches booked that made me think "goddamn, I didn't know I wanted to see that, but holy shit do I." It feels like WWE is right back to saying "we're the attraction, not the talent." It sucks, and I'm not gonna say it doesn't.

Edited by Just Dave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Dusty’s last singles title was the PWF Championship. He lost it in 1989 to Big Steele Man who was played by Fred Ottman. Fred we all also know as Tugboat, Typhoon, and even THE SHOCKMASTER. Fun fact: Fred Ottman is also Cody’s uncle. Finish the Story? Regain what Dusty lost? Wrestling Royal Family? 
Stardust vs The Shockmaster 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The WWE weekly threads and AEW weekly threads are gonna be night and day from here on out. 

Personally, I know I’m back to how I kept up with WWE before. I’ll catch things on YouTube, maaaaaaaybe I’ll turn on a PPV, but I’m just really back to not caring. Whereas with AEW, I actively watch Dynamite and Collision, I haven’t kept up with Rampage, I watch and rewatch their PPVs, but I don’t feel the vigor to comment as much about it. It’s a different kind of apathy, but it’s the kind of apathy that doesn’t make me turn away from their product. It may also be a Dean being gone thing. Dean brought big time Ryan Davis energy to the AEW posts, but that was well after we all were doing it first. Dean kept the party going when we started to tire out. I don’t know, maybe I should present my positive thoughts again, but I find I like doing that more on a Discord voice chat with my close friends when we’re on to play games.

Anyway, this is all to say that I think we go back to the recent status quo of there not being much commenting for either company.

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m ready to find out “what if Brian Gewirtz didn’t have his ideas filtered through an old man”

(it probably won’t actually wind up good)

What the fuck is happening?

Man, this season of Ballers is the fucking worst.

Just now, Matt D said:

Gerwitz was the writer on a thousand Vince-driven misogynistic segments. Maybe not the move?

Gewirtz only writes about being in the limo with Vince a bunch in the 2000s. So he presumably had to pinky swear that he never saw anything illegal going on. Sorta like the Rock might have to do.

But on the (almost*) 65th anniversary of the Day the Music Died. Cody gives up his seat to the Rock.

(* the actual anniversary is today the 3rd but it was early on February 3rd so stuff like Waylon Jennings giving up his seat on the plane might as well have happened on February 2nd)

For real, the Rock and Gewirtz are the only two that make me say, you know what, maybe Vince’s creative wasn’t that bad. The only thing worse would be if Vin Diesel somehow wormed his way in.

These two though, holy shit, they make one shitty thing after another. Bad tv shows, bad movies, etc. And if Rock and Gewirtz are both involved, then I’m guessing Dany Garcia is too. So this is basically Seven Bucks Promotions taking over WWE because they lost a battle with WB over the future of DC. Raziel is right. We all should have bought in to Black Adam, XFL, etc. 

And I think my anger and confusion is now more sadness. I feel really sad and bad for everyone that actually stuck around for another year, bought tickets, bought tons of Cody merch, all just to see him come out last night to say, “I had you! You cheated me! I’m going to take that title from you! But not where it matters, come on out Rock!”

14 minutes ago, YouHaveUntil5 said:

If you think the fan reaction is bad now, wait until Cody beats Rollins and then Priest immediately cashes in and wins the belt. 

Priest cashing in during the match to win the belt would be one way to do Cody/Seth without putting the belt on Cody.

Edit: maybe have Cody add a stip that if Seth beats him, Seth gets the future match with Reigns. Note the wording would technically mean that Priest swooping into the match wouldn’t lead to Priest winning a match with Reigns. But all of us would think it did and complain it didn’t.

Edited by Cobra Commander